First Lurcher - Deerhound x Greyhound?

Hi this is my first lurcher/long dog, was told he is 2nd x, deerhound x greyhound not sure the percentages?? would anyone have a guess? bearing in mind hes 3 months old.

Nice brindle colour with huge paws which im guessing is the deerhound in him. being a 2nd x as i was told... does this mean he is lurcher x lurcher as i only saw the mother she was tall and grey with a broken coat not a pure deerhound i dont think??? i think i would have been told if she was... had a little read up about colourations of greyhound x deerhounds and aparently most 1st crosses are brindle and a few black?? is this right?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great Dogs to own and work.      

I wouldn't worry too much about size either. I have had lurchers and longdogs for about 35 years I started with small dogs and later went over to big dogs. In the past I certainly regularly found myse

dont start working him at 6 months matey let him be a pup.wait till hes fully grown and his training is sorted(recall etc). just remember theres no rush plenty of working years ahead of him

Posted Images

They aren't all huge, this one is only 23" tts at 11 months, her dam is just under 24"  (deer/grey x collie/grey)

Cracking looking bitch  :thumbs:

Thank you, she's very promising, just starting out this season & uses her nose very well, more than you might expect from predominantly sighthound dog. I am pleased with her progress so far :)

A deerhound greyhound should be perfect for what you want and it's nice to see a youngster thinking about getting something other than a bull cross. Don't just restrict yourself to a first cross though, it would also be worth thinking about a 3/4 grey / 1/4 deerhound or a line-bred deerhound greyhound pup because there are a lots of dogs out there which have been bred deerhound/grey to deerhound/grey for a number of generations and which produce very typy dogs that generally do the job well.

Just remember, deerhound greyhounds are superb natural hunters and given the time and space to learn and work things out for themselves will deliver far more than most would think possible. They are much, much more than just point and slip dogs and if you put in the time and effort to get out and about with the dog and allow it to learn then it will repay you richly.

Very well put :thumbs:

I wouldn't worry too much about size either. I have had lurchers and longdogs for about 35 years I started with small dogs and later went over to big dogs. In the past I certainly regularly found myself with a dog too small to do the job but I have never yet found myself with too big a dog and I have had dogs up to 31" and a bit more. A big dog will do everything a small dog can do but there are many things a small dog can't do. The two best day and night rabbiting dogs I have seen have been 26" and 30", the best hare killer was 27", the best fox dog was 28" and the best deer dog was 30". To call a dog an allrounder I expect the dog to do rhfd single handed, day or night. I expect to work the dog without a slip and for it to be 100% with stock and other dogs. I expect a dog to be able to hunt up and find its own game and work with ferrets and terriers and the gun. The best allrounder I have seen is my current bitch who is 30" at the shoulder, all but one of these dogs carried deerhound blood.

• Like 1

Hi this is my first lurcher/long dog, was told he is 2nd x, deerhound x greyhound not sure the percentages?? would anyone have a guess? bearing in mind hes 3 months old.

Nice brindle colour with huge paws which im guessing is the deerhound in him. being a 2nd x as i was told... does this mean he is lurcher x lurcher as i only saw the mother she was tall and grey with a broken coat not a pure deerhound i dont think??? i think i would have been told if she was... had a little read up about colourations of greyhound x deerhounds and aparently most 1st crosses are brindle and a few black?? is this right?

if you was told its a 2nd x he will be 1/4 deerhound 3/4 greyhound.

the dam would have been a 1st x and the sire a greyhound.

hope this helps and good luck with your pup :thumbs:

Cheers Snap!!! one other thing if anyone can help. I've been told by someone to start working him at 6 months? and someone else said at least a year??? Apparently he will be strong and fast enough to have a go at 6 months.........but the other bloke told me if he fails to catch anything he may become frustrated and start barking at them while running and even on soft ground he might sprain his toes as there still soft from growing? Obviously i wont rush him and risk ruining it for me and him. he is 3 months old so will he be ok to have a go by the end of the season? i can imagine every dogs differentand anything with deerhound being slow to mature, looking forward to hearing your opinions. jim

Cheers Snap!!! one other thing if anyone can help. I've been told by someone to start working him at 6 months? and someone else said at least a year??? Apparently he will be strong and fast enough to have a go at 6 months.........but the other bloke told me if he fails to catch anything he may become frustrated and start barking at them while running and even on soft ground he might sprain his toes as there still soft from growing? Obviously i wont rush him and risk ruining it for me and him. he is 3 months old so will he be ok to have a go by the end of the season? i can imagine every dogs differentand anything with deerhound being slow to mature, looking forward to hearing your opinions. jim

dont start working him at 6 months matey let him be a pup.wait till hes fully grown and his training is sorted(recall etc).

just remember theres no rush plenty of working years ahead of him :thumbs:

• Like 1

No me neither, I plan to start him off with a netted bunny in a big field but as you say no rush will probably wait till he is at least 10-12 months,, but I will start taking the ferret gang out in the next few weeks, would it be wise to take the pup? I don't suppose it would do him any harm to see what its all about????

No me neither, I plan to start him off with a netted bunny in a big field but as you say no rush will probably wait till he is at least 10-12 months,, but I will start taking the ferret gang out in the next few weeks, would it be wise to take the pup? I don't suppose it would do him any harm to see what its all about????

do him the world of good :thumbs:

You sound like a nice enough bloke and have a nice pup but do yourself a favour and do it properly and walk up a squatter on a cold, cloudy, windy, rainy night rather than being a lazy c**t. And if you decide to take the lazy c**t option then know that it's illegal and you should probably not mention it on here.