daytime dogs

wonder how many that have give there comments/opinions have actually caught deer or hares consistantly during the day not at night when both run into obstacles that they would clear /miss with ease during the day some have said its cruel/barbaric, necking a hare or a rabbit is one thing but delivering the last rites to a screeming deer that your dog has a grip of is not for everybody.....

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"What's easier for a dog; Hare or Roe" ? Bit of a daft question in my oppinion. I've seen hares taken out of their seat by dogs that couldn't catch a hare given fair law...also seen roe bounce of fenc

You want to get a better dog then................................. If the dog isn't actively trying to kill it he ain't gonna be HOLDING for very long. I have seen dogs kill all species of deer up to

hare,iv had dogs that would not stand a chance on a good hare,but deer were readily taken,jmo

"What's easier for a dog; Hare or Roe" ? Bit of a daft question in my oppinion. I've seen hares taken out of their seat by dogs that couldn't catch a hare given fair law...also seen roe bounce of fences and taken by curs that shouldn't be in the same field ! Either animal, given fair law, daytime, is more than a match for all but the best dogs !

Cheers.

Well said Charti fella :yes::yes::thumbs:

we will always differ because we all hunt different terrain and hunt diferent dogs. what a dog can achieve in one place may not in another. habitat for the quarry you hunt is a big factor. weve all gone lamping where the rabbits arent as fast as the ones at another location , we blame the dogs , we blame our selfs, we blame the condtions but these are just facts that make us so diferrent. at the end of the day its the thrill of the chase whatever your pursuing, where ever

• Like 1

Killing Deer with dogs isnt right !!!!!!

The dogs don't kill the Deer. They catch and hold them. Sounds like you know an awful lot about it though!!!

You want to get a better dog then................................. If the dog isn't actively trying to kill it he ain't gonna be HOLDING for very long. I have seen dogs kill all species of deer up to sika size with very little fuss except on the biggest of bucks then it gets interesting :whistling::whistling:

Running deer was a passion of mine pre 2005 but rabbits are my only game now but here is my opinion on things for what it's worth. The hare is the ultimate test of a running dogs speed & stamina FACT!!! But a good daytime roe can be as fast and as smart but is a bigger target to get hold of, saying that i've seen some very long races on daytime roe over the years on big land with quarry that knew the score and were only there cos they had seen and escaped dogs many times before. Were i'm from we have a healthy population of deer but not the plague populations i've seen further south.But we have alot of dog men trying there luck on them so over the years it's been the fastest and strongest that have bred and IMO the deer have benefited from this.When you start talking big deer the course is not were the quality of your dog is tested that happens when they make contact you really need a dog that knows his/her job or you and them will end up in a whole world of trouble.

• Like 2

The dogs don't kill the Deer. They catch and hold them. Sounds like you know an awful lot about it though!!!

You want to get a better dog then................................. If the dog isn't actively trying to kill it he ain't gonna be HOLDING for very long. I have seen dogs kill all species of deer up to sika size with very little fuss except on the biggest of bucks then it gets interesting :whistling::whistling:

Running deer was a passion of mine pre 2005 but rabbits are my only game now but here is my opinion on things for what it's worth. The hare is the ultimate test of a running dogs speed & stamina FACT!!! But a good daytime roe can be as fast and as smart but is a bigger target to get hold of, saying that i've seen some very long races on daytime roe over the years on big land with quarry that knew the score and were only there cos they had seen and escaped dogs many times before. Were i'm from we have a healthy population of deer but not the plague populations i've seen further south.But we have alot of dog men trying there luck on them so over the years it's been the fastest and strongest that have bred and IMO the deer have benefited from this.When you start talking big deer the course is not were the quality of your dog is tested that happens when they make contact you really need a dog that knows his/her job or you and them will end up in a whole world of trouble.

you have obviously done a fair bit mate :notworthy: well said :thumbs:

Not as much as some but more than others and my opinion is based on first hand experiences not what i have heard from others. But them days are gone now and only a miracle can bring them back but you never know :thumbs:

Not as much as some but more than others and my opinion is based on first hand experiences not what i have heard from others. But them days are gone now and only a miracle can bring them back but you never know :thumbs:

WELL SAID BUTLER ,

I KILLED MY FIRST FALLOW WHEN I WAS UNDER 15 YRS OLD ............ MY FIRST HARE AND ROE BEFORE I WAS 12 ....... AND A LOT MORE UP TILL THE BAN ,

OUT OF EVERY DEER OR HARE IVE CAUGHT .. NOT ONE HAS COME UP WAVING A WHITE FLAG !!

AS I SAID RECENTLY ON ANOTHER THREAD ,......... WHEN QUARRYS RUN A FEW TIMES THEY KNOW WHATS COMING AND ARE A LOT HARDER TO CATCH ....... I GREW UP IN AN AREA LITTERED WITH RUNNING DOG MEN ....... YEP THOSE DEER AND HARES LOCALLY WERE HARD TO CATCH ....!!

I HAD A LONG READ OF THIS THREAD AND TO BE HONEST THERES ONE HELL OF A LOT OF MEN ON HERE THAT DONT KNOW SHIT FROM YELLOW CLAY ! ........

AND IMO ........................... SHOULD NOT BE POSTING ON THREADS THEY KNOW VERY LITTLE OF .......... :no:

MEN WHO HAVE ONLY CAUGHT 50 TO 100 DEER IN A LIFETIME :blink: ....... THIS ISNT A FULL SEASONS CATCH TO DEDICATED DEER MEN WHO USED TO TRAVEL MORE MILES THAN ALAN WHICKER TO REACH THE HOT SPOTS .........

TO THE MEN THAT DE- CRYED THE HUNTING OF DEER WITH DOGS ......... SHAME ON YOU :no:

AS YOU FELLAS ARE HYPOCRITES .......... OF THE FIRST ORDER :(

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Every saulk lucher man the winter hare is the best animal to test your dog against seen a hare run dog till it was walking.and love seeing my own after a hare but a good deer is as good as any hare if not better cant jump 5 6ft fences and rivers turn ,stay, and speed plus size and harder bring down so imo a good deer is better then a good hare.

( look and bambi he could out run bullets him and his da jump waterfalls and swim plus knocked the f**k out off 9 dogs thats a good deer :clapper: :clapper: )

WELL SAID BUTLER ,

I KILLED MY FIRST FALLOW WHEN I WAS UNDER 15 YRS OLD ............ MY FIRST HARE AND ROE BEFORE I WAS 12 ....... AND A LOT MORE UP TILL THE BAN ,

OUT OF EVERY DEER OR HARE IVE CAUGHT .. NOT ONE HAS COME UP WAVING A WHITE FLAG !!

AS I SAID RECENTLY ON ANOTHER THREAD ,......... WHEN QUARRYS RUN A FEW TIMES THEY KNOW WHATS COMING AND ARE A LOT HARDER TO CATCH ....... I GREW UP IN AN AREA LITTERED WITH RUNNING DOG MEN ....... YEP THOSE DEER AND HARES LOCALLY WERE HARD TO CATCH ....!!

I HAD A LONG READ OF THIS THREAD AND TO BE HONEST THERES ONE HELL OF A LOT OF MEN ON HERE THAT DONT KNOW SHIT FROM YELLOW CLAY ! ........

AND IMO ........................... SHOULD NOT BE POSTING ON THREADS THEY KNOW VERY LITTLE OF .......... :no:

MEN WHO HAVE ONLY CAUGHT 50 TO 100 DEER IN A LIFETIME :blink: ....... THIS ISNT A FULL SEASONS CATCH TO DEDICATED DEER MEN WHO USED TO TRAVEL MORE MILES THAN ALAN WHICKER TO REACH THE HOT SPOTS .........

TO THE MEN THAT DE- CRYED THE HUNTING OF DEER WITH DOGS ......... SHAME ON YOU :no:

AS YOU FELLAS ARE HYPOCRITES .......... OF THE FIRST ORDER :(

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

well said :thumbs:

yeah roberto dont you know anything !!! lol next you will be telling us rossi is gonna win this year

well since there is alot of people that have done pre ban hares and deer why do they sometimes scream when caught and other times they dont thats deer?just herd people saying when it was preban thats what happened

YOU SHOULD NO THOMPSON DOGS :oops: BLACK RECKING IT YOU NO IT ALL WHEN YOUR UNDER YOUR OTHER NAME :icon_redface:

well since there is alot of people that have done pre ban hares and deer why do they sometimes scream when caught and other times they dont thats deer?just herd people saying when it was preban thats what happened

YOU SHOULD NO THOMPSON DOGS :oops: BLACK RECKING IT YOU NO IT ALL WHEN YOUR UNDER YOUR OTHER NAME :icon_redface:

as said before who are you tit and why you want to no about me you say im thomsons dogs so what if i am or not why do you careso much muppet

as said before who are you tit and why you want to no about me you say im thomsons dogs so what if i am or not why do you careso much muppet

Maybe his name should be changed to righttostalk as i think he's got a bit of a fetish for you :thumbs:

:laugh::laugh:

• Like 1