leasing a car

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

It's a fools route I know a young couple on the verge of losing there home as they are trapped in contracts for cars and can't afford there home, no company does anything that will profit the customer more than the company and when people tell you it's not costing them a penny they are lying because you are non stop paying, I know of many people that got trapped in this shit system all have got out of it after one or two motors regretting ever signing upto it in the first place, if you are self employed it can be a bit better as you can claim more back against your tax by leasing than owning, but you are still better off owning your own motor in lots of ways, also realise that all the people telling you it's great have already signed there life away and will be reluctant to admit there mistake so will highlight the positives and gloss over the negatives, sorry I,m offline for a few days so will miss the backlash but my advice is ,DONT DO IT, ITS A FOOLS GAME, IF YOU WANT A NEW CAR WORK HARD, SAVE HARD AND BUY IT, 

That's their silly fault for leasing a car out of their price range.If you're going to lease a motor just make sure you can comfortably afford the monthly payments

1 hour ago, dytkos said:

If you can write the cost off in tax, maybe its an option but its like renting a house, you keep paying but you dont own anything.

Cheers, D.

Not really.If you buy a new car you'll loose thousands in the first 3years which isn't the case with a house unless something really goes tits up with the housing market

13 minutes ago, smithie said:

I would be happy to do it but if you have a lot of no claims bonus it might be best to have a good think first.

From your policy finishing you have a max of 2 years to reuse ncb or there lost. The lease is a 3 year contract and i would lose 14 years ncb.

Not the b all and end all but it would matter to me

If you lease a car you pay your own insurance but that is the only extra bill you have apart from putting fuel in it.

Many variables.......you place your bet.  Buy a car outright for cash and as long as nothing goes wrong with it your laughing and your better off than leasing.  If something does go wrong your better off leasing !  ive done both.  Had a little run around I leased for £250 a month but I was doing 30k miles a year so it made sense to lease.  I paid the maintenance cost which were 2 services a year and I paid £150 at the end due to a few scuffs(always argue the toss with them as they will ask you to agree it there and then and will normally knock some off)................Lease car went back so bought an old golf for £900 and ran it a year and it didn't cost me a penny and did £30k in it.......think I was lucky........Bought the Mrs a nice convertible and got myself a new golf through my job but make sweet FA on the mileage now and its costing me £200 a month in company car tax but no worries about it breaking down.........like I say you takes your chance...................

• Like 1

Yup Vauxhall s are shit,my mate had s newish one and that drank engine oil.leasings a good idea,you can never make money on a newish car,you will lose money every year,so you may aswell get a new car every 3,4 years.

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

I got 4 kids tho an until this arse hole passes her test I really need a 7 seater an begrudge letting tribe ruin a new yin??

Leasing is no use then cos you will be paying when her and the kids trash it. 

• Like 1

Personal leasing isnt the ultimate car scheme - why would it? As said above the people who sell/lease cars are in it to make a profit. no lease I know of is cheaper than buying especially if you have a mileage linked lease or a balloon. That said it may suit some people but be sure - its not cheap.If it works for you its for other reasons than 'the cheapest method available'. Ideal for a business as said.

If it was good wouldn’t we all be doing it? 

My mates saying he pays 250 a month and they take care of everything even the tyres! He’ll also get a brand new car every 3 years. He’s doing it through his wife who is a career for the nhs 

It's got to be a better idea than buying a brand new car on finance knowing it will be worth feck all by the time you've paid it off and are looking to upgrade again (got to keep up with the Jones!) which seems to be the done thing amongst a lot of folk I know!

I try to tell them how stupid it is but they won't listen and then they wonder why they're always stressing about money...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BGD said:

It's got to be a better idea than buying a brand new car on finance knowing it will be worth feck all by the time you've paid it off and are looking to upgrade again (got to keep up with the Jones!) which seems to be the done thing amongst a lot of folk I know!

I try to tell them how stupid it is but they won't listen and then they wonder why they're always stressing about money...

Keeping up with the jones saying probably refers to leasing more then buying mate I’d of thought 

my accountant keeps telling me to lease trucks but i always buy one a few years old as cheap as i can,  i love telling him about a renault midlum 7.5 ton truck i bought at a private sale i gave £1500 for it ran it for 12 months it returned me a clear profit of £11340  and i sold it for £1800  i tall him find me a lease deal to match that and il have 10

• Like 1