Xanadoo

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i know, that wasn't aimed at you bud its just the way it is tho, what you do with your dogs deep in the countryside is up to you. its a shit law and it dose not work but we have to do our best and kee

Not the best photo as the focus was on the red bitch in the centre, little bitch on the left Plummer terrier breeding, never saw a rat in her life,was an out and out digging terrier and worked to a ve

more,                

Posted Images

Nice pics. But alot of dogs for bunny bashing. Not my preferd dog for bushing rabbits to lurchers. Soft mouthed gun dog cross be better

Only due to fact terrier like a good tug of war. Rabbits aint mucj good after 4 terriers have had there way.

Have to agree with you there, a good gundog cross will do all the bushing and a few lurchers for catching them would be plenty. Would save a lot of unnecessary feeding and lifting up shit. 3 terriers chasing a rabbit! I wouldn't like to imagine what would happen if 3 terriers we have where let out to hunt along side one another. Sort of puts it into perspective. Hey each to there own but a kennel full of rabbit hunting/catching terriers that can kill rats doesn't really cut the mustard imo. Maybe better suited for the bushing section.

Bushing section is all about gun dogs and crosses, as I have said before why alienate certain strata's of terrier work just because its not digging, the terrier working section is more for digging, this section is all about discussion, any terrier work is good in my book and people knocking it will be looking for support from all terrier men when legislation rears its ugly head again, together we are strong,divided we are weak !!! you may not like what I do but it is legal in England, WM
Hold on a second don't be getting your knickers in a twist. For a start I've alienated no form of terrierwork! So you can stop right there with that angle. Where did I say I didn't like what you do? You posted a picture of 3 terriers chasing a rabbit they'll probably not catch. IMO which I stated a bushing dog or two along with ferrets and a couple dogs to catch the rabbits would be a lot more productive rather than a yard full of rabbiting terriers and all the other types on top of that, but each to there own. If you put a post on the WWW for the world to see and this being a forum, people are going to give there views and opinions. If you're having issues with that then the forum obviously isn't for you. So stop whinging on like a woman. One last thing if they're terriers and they're working then that would make them "working terriers" wouldn't it! Yet there's a lot of different ways you can work terriers as you know. I didn't say you didn't keep working terriers but you DO bush with them and there's a section for that. You admitted not using them for digging and as you stated this section is more about digging, you've already acknowledged that, yet you're arguing with me when you actually said the same....atb Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

Well when you say someone is alienating terrierwork and doesn't like what you do, that isn't healthy discussion in my eyes especially when there's no substance behind your post. As for legalities if you do dig to a few of them, that's well and good. Just make sure you don't have them of the lead at the same time chasing something because after more than one goes to ground your not within the law. Yet you have 3 or more running loose after a rabbit at one time without any equipment to locate them if they decide to go to ground. So that tells me you're not worried because you know yourself it's not likely that they will drop in somewhere. If that's not the case and they could go to ground in that scenario then your just an asshole so which one is it?

Like I said whatever suits you is your business I've no experience with the breed so that's why I'm asking. Tell me this, every time these Plummer terriers are brought up in certain topics, threads, books or magazines there is always statements like "most versitile terrier" etc. To put it straight to you because that's just the type of person I am even in person. If they're not really a digging dog but you'd get the odd one would go but nothing serious etc. Then apart from bushing and general rabbiting duties and off course ratting etc. What makes them so versatile because any terrier I have in the yard could do the exact same only they'll work underground as well. That is apart from hunting rabbits but that's self explanatory. So what makes them so versatile and why would one want one when with my limited knowledge on the breed from what I've just explained. To me they're less versatile as many other breeds that excel in earthwork and the rest. Genuine question btw.

• Like 2

Well when you say someone is alienating terrierwork and doesn't like what you do, that isn't healthy discussion in my eyes especially when there's no substance behind your post. As for legalities if you do dig to a few of them, that's well and good. Just make sure you don't have them of the lead at the same time chasing something because after more than one goes to ground your not within the law. Yet you have 3 or more running loose after a rabbit at one time without any equipment to locate them if they decide to go to ground. So that tells me you're not worried because you know yourself it's not likely that they will drop in somewhere. If that's not the case and they could go to ground in that scenario then your just an asshole so which one is it?

You read far too much into my pics "General", I have 2 decent locators with me all the time but all my terriers bar the odd pup when starting off will not just enter any hole, those that hunt Cheshire regularly will tell you that there are badger setts every few hundred yds, the estate land I do is also hunt land, I am allowed on any farm for pest control but not the foxes, my terriers will mark any occupied hole be it a rat,rabbit or a fox,etc, they will not enter (usually) lol's, I know most of the foxy haunts and earths having hunted them for over 40 yrs but do get caught out occasionally, all these terriers can be called out and have never seen more than 1 even try and enter, they are not like harder types were they just rush in after them and end up like a string of sausages, biting each others arses, take today, I was in Deeside doing a farm I haven't been on for a while, I bushed a large dog fox across a field straight into a large storm drain about 50 yds across, when we caught up the terriers were stood outside waiting, exactly the same as on rabbit,mink,etc, I collared up "Wilf" and called the other 2 over out the way my 2 mates had a shotgun either end of where the drain come out so I told him to "get on", terrier in, a lot of barking and commotion for 10 minutes or so then out it came on the other field to my mate that shot it, "Wilf" was not far behind it and gave the dead fox a rag till we got down to it, he has a few marks on him but it got done.

I think many think the dogs drive would be suspect by being able to call them out ( so long as they don't engage the quarry that is!!) but they are taught from an early age not to enter any hole but to "move on" and its then they learn "get out" if they show signs of entering, its always dogs that take longer,the bitches tend to learn quicker, I think taking them ferreting from an early age allowing them to mark and then sitting them down to watch the ferret go in and work teaches them patience, they wait for the bolt each watching a different hole, I used to collar "Wilf" up on every occasion out but the penny seems to of dropped this last few months, I would be a liar if I said there have never been accidents but on the whole they tend to be obedient, getting them out every day helps training anything and once they understand what your wanting it gets easier, WM

Looks like a litter and a book that's on the way!!!!!

• Like 1

Sorry did i read that correctly.

You put a fox up. And terriers followed suit.

But waited at entrance? For the ok from you.

That would of been some picture mate.

Terrers waiting to enter on command.

So would the dead shot fox from today.......

The mind boggles.

Am i awake? Pinch me

• Like 3

They are in good condition I'll give you that. How much does one of them sell for we don't see many in Ireland?

Jiggy, Ireland is still a pretty untamed place with lots of lads living the rural way of life and as such still digging without looking over their shoulders, I seen many lads move to Europe and Ireland when the ban came in, these are not an out and out digging dog, I would have to increase their size for serious work but there are simply better terriers for everyday digging, no need to reinvent the wheel good hard terriers out there and Ireland is a hotbed for good terriers, this country is f*cked for anything serious so its the easy life for me and the reason this sort of dog is popular,everyone is educated on poaching,digging,hare coursing,etc here and I see that as a detriment to the harder type dogs being kept anymore and if I can still get about without loads of hassle from plod than that suits me fine, WM
I seen one on another forum and a person was trying to rehome it for the breeder and when asked why they were rehoming the puppy they said because it was a tricolour and not the proper colour a Plummer should be. That won't help the cause for a working breed when colour comes first.
  • Like 2

Nice pics. But alot of dogs for bunny bashing. Not my preferd dog for bushing rabbits to lurchers. Soft mouthed gun dog cross be better

Only due to fact terrier like a good tug of war. Rabbits aint mucj good after 4 terriers have had there way.

You keep the dogs you like and I keep the ones I like, thats fine in my book,nobody trying to convert anybody else, I would never knock another mans choice, they don't break many up if you look at the dead ones in the vans,they are intelligent just like your gun dogs, I have seen bull/grey crosses eat rabbits when they catch them and have been useless after eating a few, the dogs are as good as the time you put in, WM
I have seen plenty of bullxs retrieve back to hand live and seen a few useless plummers only interested in fighting Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 2

That's fair enough. To be perfectly honest if they're not doing much earthwork that's the reason why they don't carry many scars, but if they're so good at ratting then obviously then they're gonna pick up some, say in a good day some dogs could be killing rats in big numbers. A broken coated terrier will hide most of all this which a Plummer won't. So in reality then they're not as versatile as people say they are as they're just trained by certain men to do a variety of tasks that any terrier is capable to do.

• Like 3
I seen one on another forum and a person was trying to rehome it for the breeder and when asked why they were rehoming the puppy they said because it was a tricolour and not the proper colour a Plummer should be. That won't help the cause for a working breed when colour comes first.

Yes - what a load of sh(one)te - first photo - a Plummer as a pup in Ireland - the second - welsh bred

post-48278-0-48353700-1487539372_thumb.jpg

post-48278-0-06991700-1487539413_thumb.jpg

• Like 3