Not the same dealer, BUT 12 weeks (yeh right) my buddy was told 3 months for a Savage .243 11 months later it finally turned up,

and what are you going to do if yours is 'late' cancel the order and be back were you started?

A mighty pinch of salt required, whatever else the RFD is under the thumb of Edgar Brothers or even a. n. other further down the

retail chain, and can't do a thing about it.

Just be mindful, if it,s not in the rack you are at their mercy.

Luckily the RFD is a good mate of mine and knows I don't respond well to bullshit. So here's hoping.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Read this thread from front to back and what a load of shit some talk .By stacking your cabinet full of rifles you are creating unnecessary drama .As a young keeper ,the estate rifle was a .22 hornet

Walshie, next time you want a new rifle just go buy the fecking thing and don't mention it on here ffs

I have the 527 in .17 Hornet. It has a 24" 'varmint' barrel. It is nothing like a real varmint barrel though. I once owned a Tikka T3 Varmint. It had a Jet-Z CQB sat on the end as well!!   I don't

Posted Images

Love the 6.5x55 well worth a try, great caliber

I went from .243 to the 6.5x55 in my opinion the best move I've made for a long while in shooting.
thats what I did but also tried the 270, i have fired other calibers, but the 6.5 x 55 does the job, each to his own,

I went from .243 to the 6.5x55 in my opinion the best move I've made for a long while in shooting.

Really? I cant imagine why, the .243 is faster, flatter shooting, and in my opinion a better one shot killer than the Swede will ever be, yes you can shoot heavier bullets in the Swede, but and it is a big but, at the expense of point and shoot capability, true at a hundred yards or so it matters not, but start pushing 250-300 yards and the Swede is like a .22 air rifle compared to a .177, fine if you know your holdover points, but for me the .243 wins hands down everytime.

Really? I cant imagine why, the .243 is faster, flatter shooting, and in my opinion a better one shot killer than the Swede will ever be, yes you can shoot heavier bullets in the Swede, but and it is a big but, at the expense of point and shoot capability, true at a hundred yards or so it matters not, but start pushing 250-300 yards and the Swede is like a .22 air rifle compared to a .177, fine if you know your holdover points, but for me the .243 wins hands down everytime.
Ahh grasshopper, everything in life is not about bigger or better.

A diamond is a diamond, large or small it is still a gem.

Arseooh grasshop.

U lol.

To be honest CC I'm with you there, I shoot a lot of different scenarios and the .243 is sweet and versatile for ME, but I do have a few tools to select from!

Everyones situation is different of course, and what works for one doesn't always work for another.

ATB! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

Ahh grasshopper, everything in life is not about bigger or better.

A diamond is a diamond, large or small it is still a gem.

Arseooh grasshop.

U lol.

I quite agree, so by that logic, your BIGGER 6.5 turnip, is not better than the smaller .243 :D

how many deer do you shoot at 300 yards ?? Most I shoot are out to 200, with the 140 grns, and if you need to push it as a flat shooting round they do a 85 grn hollow point , which fells fox as good as a 243, when out on the hill when a 300 yard shot may be needed the 120 grn fells Reds no problem, if you push the 243 out to 300 with the 100 grn bullet as required in my opinion and it is only my opinion mind it's not enough on Reds,there are not too many rifles that will hold its trogectory better than the 6.5x55 Edited by 3175darren
  • Like 1

Nope, just different. Not wrong or less in any way. Apart from what can be written on paper.

In the real world both examples in this case are subject to gravity, wind and the biggest let down of all, human error.

Oh by the way, I did, when a youngster some of my longest shots ever with a 243. Owned three, still don't like it. It's good, just don't like it. Means nothing really.

U.

• Like 1

how many deer do you shoot at 300 yards ?? Most I shoot are out to 200, with the 140 grns, and if you need to push it as a flat shooting round they do a 85 grn hollow point , which fells fox as good as a 243, when out on the hill when a 300 yard shot may be needed the 120 grn fells Reds no problem, if you push the 243 out to 300 with the 100 grn bullet as required in my opinion and it is only my opinion mind it's not enough on Reds,there are not too many rifles that will hold its trogectory better than the 6.5x55

Did I at any point mention deer at 300 yards? I think not! Well all I can say is the legendary pro stalker Jok Black said the .243 was his favourite round for reds ever, a 6.5 has only a bit more energy than a .243 with some bullets, and less with others, and as for that legendary trajectory, yes I agree it will hold its rainbow/mortar like ark very well :tongue2:

• Like 1

Nope, just different. Not wrong or less in any way. Apart from what can be written on paper.

In the real world both examples in this case are subject to gravity, wind and the biggest let down of all, human error.

Oh by the way, I did, when a youngster some of my longest shots ever with a 243. Owned three, still don't like it. It's good, just don't like it. Means nothing really.

U.

I think it's a very good round,I have used them since mid 80's but find the 6.5x 55 suits my needs, and a much more pleasant caliber, it really is down to personal preference, 270 is a very good caliber but the swede delivers virtually the same, and more down range, and doesn't have the recoil,

I know someone who bought a 6.5x55 on the advice of an "expert", he is now sick as a chip and looking to go back to 25/06.

Hardly surprising is it ;)

Not surprising at all when you actually think about it. The bloke in question was buying a new merkel rifle and wanted it in the same calibre as his sako 25/06 but they didn't do that calibre. Anyhow the "expert" suggested 6.5x55 as a suitable alternative as they are very similar according to him. :laugh: So the said rifle was ordered and subsequently delivered. He soon found out it was nothing like his 25/06 and was mortified to see how much drop it has compared to his old rifle. .

• Like 1