• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Read this thread from front to back and what a load of shit some talk .By stacking your cabinet full of rifles you are creating unnecessary drama .As a young keeper ,the estate rifle was a .22 hornet

Walshie, next time you want a new rifle just go buy the fecking thing and don't mention it on here ffs

I have the 527 in .17 Hornet. It has a 24" 'varmint' barrel. It is nothing like a real varmint barrel though. I once owned a Tikka T3 Varmint. It had a Jet-Z CQB sat on the end as well!!   I don't

Posted Images

Lol, 17 is for airguns or rabbid mice lol.

.17 Hornet outperforms .22 Hornet despite the .22 having more muzzle energy, and you don't need to reload. At 200yds the .17 has more energy than both the 35 and 45 grain .22 Hornet options (294ft lbs), and 1/3rd the drop. At 300yds it's still only 6.4 inches down with a 200yd zero. Try that with the .22 and you're 16.9 inches down.

Personally, I wouldn't take anything over 150yds or so with either, but there are plenty of reports of people taking fox to 250yds with the .17. I know someone on here has one and previously said they love it.

This is the terminal performance of the .17 Ackley Hornet, the round the Hornady version is built upon, doesn't look much like either an airgun or rabid mice killer to me:

Only reason I see for wanting the .22 Hornet is because you're old and sentimental. Anyway, back to Walshie..... :tongue2:

• Like 2

.17 Hornet outperforms .22 Hornet despite the .22 having more muzzle energy, and you don't need to reload. At 200yds the .17 has more energy than both the 35 and 45 grain .22 Hornet options (294ft lbs), and 1/3rd the drop. At 300yds it's still only 6.4 inches down with a 200yd zero. Try that with the .22 and you're 16.9 inches down.

Personally, I wouldn't take anything over 150yds or so with either, but there are plenty of reports of people taking fox to 250yds with the .17. I know someone on here has one and previously said they love it.

This is the terminal performance of the .17 Ackley Hornet, the round the Hornady version is built upon, doesn't look much like either an airgun or rabid mice killer to me:

Only reason I see for wanting the .22 Hornet is because you're old and sentimental. Anyway, back to Walshie..... :tongue2:

Just as well Walshie never mentioned he was thinking of getting a .308 huh or a 7.62 what would you have done then, scoured the internet to find out the capabilities 0f a .338 lapua? ……………he's wanting a .22 Hornet ffs not an insight into the capabilities of a rifle that he does not want.

• Like 1

Yep, old and sentimental.

I also gave up on the general notion of more is better and energy energy energy everyone keeps spouting about a lonnnng time ago.

It's got so bad I don't even look at energy figures any more, I just look at the round or my powder measure and think "that'll do".

Now that mini Mauser. It is not a push feed but as hornt has a rim, if one should get push fed and you need to extract it some rifles bolts will not let the claw slip over the chambered round!

I recommend testing this and if it won't shape the front of the claw so it does.

Factory ammo most likely would fall out but a snug reload or a bit of grit.....

U.

Just as well Walshie never mentioned he was thinking of getting a .308 huh or a 7.62 what would you have done then, scoured the internet to find out the capabilities 0f a .338 lapua? ……………he's wanting a .22 Hornet ffs not an insight into the capabilities of a rifle that he does not want.

I didn't suggest a 7.62 or a .308 though, I suggested the .22 Hornet's little brother. It was worth mentioning for others reading if not Walshie, as anyone considering the .22 should always consider the .17 Hornet as well. If the.17 doesn't float your particular boat, then that's fair enough. BTW, on the subject of internet scouring / armchair shooting, I have 30 yrs experience in the field.

.22 Hornet is a useful little round if you like playing around with reloading. Good luck with the .22 CZ Walshie if that's the route you choose. :yes:

• Like 1

Blimey, this has stirred up a hornet's nest. :icon_eek: See what I did there? :laugh:

To clarify - If I wanted something to knock big holes in foxes and be as flat shooting as a 223, I'd use......my 223.

If I wanted to shoot rabbits within 100 yards or so I can use my rimfire.

If I want a gun that can do both adequately, I (personally) see a 22 hornet as the best solution. It's nothing to do with being sentimental, or they wouldn't still make them. It's to do with wanting the right tool for the job that I want it to do, which in this case is being able to stick one gun in the truck instead of 2, and to keep my NV attached to rather than swapping from one gun to another all the time.

Shop bought ammo for the 17 is actually more expensive than for the 22, and I reload, so once I've got through the first 200 rounds of SP PPU 22 hornet I bought (for £84) I shall be reloading v-max for pennies.

Oh, and I have a 308 already. :D

Haha fair enough.

But here's another question wouldn't the .17 be better with the NV as we all know range estimation at night is difficult and the .17 being slightly flatter maybe more adequate.

Hahaha

Don't make me come up there.....

Blimey, this has stirred up a hornet's nest. :icon_eek: See what I did there? :laugh:

To clarify - If I wanted something to knock big holes in foxes and be as flat shooting as a 223, I'd use......my 223.

If I want a gun that can do both adequately, I (personally) see a 22 hornet as the best solution. It's nothing to do with being sentimental, or they wouldn't still make them. It's to do with wanting the right tool for the job that I want it to do, which in this case is being able to stick one gun in the truck instead of 2, and to keep my NV attached to rather than swapping from one gun to another all the time.

imho from personal experience over many k's rounds through the hornet your about right with your choice given what guns you already posses :thumbs: .not derailing it but are you nv'ing the hornet if so what with ?

• Like 1

imho from personal experience over many k's rounds through the hornet your about right with your choice given what guns you already posses :thumbs: .not derailing it but are you nv'ing the hornet if so what with ?

I've just got a photon. Perfect for the sort of ranges a hornet can shoot. It's on my 223 at the moment. Then if I want to go and shoot rabbits, I'd have to put it on my rimfire. With a hornet i can put it on an hopefully leave it on.

nowt just about them ! ,thats what i had on mine ! perfect combo ,thats why the 150 zero works well ,i used to either just wait in likely spots or bait and wait (then you could get an idea of range and landmarks before hand)

Yeah, I thought 150 was a pretty good zero. At least with a 22 instead of a 17 I can spend my time working out the range rather than worrying about my lipstick. :laugh: