Heating Kennel Lurcher

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny you should say that ......  

they deff feel better for a heat lamp, 1st they will stretch out , so avoid stiffness , 2nd the heat lamp don't toast them lol, it just holds a better temp, than going below what it was in the 1s

My kennels are the same as above basically a house lol whatever the temperature is outside it's generally a bit colder inside so my heat lamp stays on 24/7 when needed ... At the other end of the buil

Posted Images

I'm not currently using anything. I've got a length of armoured cable in place which I sourced last week ready to connect to a tube heater but not ordered the heater yet.

I just aren't convinced they need it. I got in from work at 3am this morning. -3c on the car thermometer. Went up to the kennel and both dogs were warm to the touch and the straw where they had been lying was red hot. It's a decent dry and raised kennel with no draft at all, a good 18 inches of straw bedding and 2 dogs together. They are honestly like toast and I don't want to introduce unnecessary artificial heat when they have got good coats and seem to handle being outside well.

Would there coats become poorer like that of a dog kept indoors?

Would they feel the cold more in the day when the heat source is turned off at 8am and it's still really cold?

These are just a couple of the questions I haven't answered yet and hence why I'm holding off. Money isn't an issue and nor is the power source. As said I've got the armoured cable in place.

I'm not currently using anything. I've got a length of armoured cable in place which I sourced last week ready to connect to a tube heater but not ordered the heater yet.

I just aren't convinced they need it. I got in from work at 3am this morning. -3c on the car thermometer. Went up to the kennel and both dogs were warm to the touch and the straw where they had been lying was red hot. It's a decent dry and raised kennel with no draft at all, a good 18 inches of straw bedding and 2 dogs together. They are honestly like toast and I don't want to introduce unnecessary artificial heat when they have got good coats and seem to handle being outside well.

Would they feel the cold more in the day when the heat source is turned off at 8am and it's still really cold?

These are just a couple of the questions I haven't answered yet and hence why I'm holding off. Money isn't an issue and nor is the power source. As said I've got the armoured cable in place.

I think you are right to go on what your dogs are telling you. If they look warm and happy thats it,but remember it can go colder some years and a few years ago we had 13below. Two dogs make a great difference but if you lost one and temps plummit then youve got a cold dog. The worst for me is a cold wet dog back from work.Possibly hes lost some blood aswell.He needs a good warm meal and some heat on him in the form of a heat lamp for me because its the nearest thing to the sun warming you through. Ive got bullx dogs with very short coats,and I know when they are feeling the cold because like you I just observe them.

Dont quite understand why you would turn heat off at 8 though.Mines on all the time the dogs in kennel.When they go out they are active and when they go back theyve got the heat again.

I dont keep heat on saplings that are carrying a bit of fat (not too much) and bed together but dogs that are being worked and carrying little body fat and have short coat can benefit,but its not necessary.

They also seem to suffer less from rheumatism in old age.

• Like 1

they deff feel better for a heat lamp, 1st they will stretch out , so avoid stiffness , 2nd the heat lamp don't toast them lol, it just holds a better temp, than going below what it was in the 1st place. there coats stay the same because these still amount of cold in the kennel anyway so the dogs will keep a good coat. I put my lamps on from 9. 30 pm - 11am next day, then there off till 9 30 pm. and I always put them on when ive took the dog lamping, as it as above stops stiffness next day, infact all my dogs over the years have had stiffness next morning from a night lamping. but since I had heat lamps (no more stiffness ) so for me there Brill I would always use them deff :thumbs::yes:

• Like 3

Same as buster.. tube heater small double type with guard, wired to a frost stat but can override if needed, insulated kennel box and thick clear plastic door flap, only put heater on once so far as not needed when they pile in together

some good points there about being over used to heat. reminds me of my mates dog his is indoors , heating always blearing. he dont do to well in cold temps ferreting.cant think of the word is it climatisation ???

ive slept in my kennels enough in winter no heater and i been very warm to the point i always have to take me fleece off and just sleep in me vest.

I think you are right to go on what your dogs are telling you. If they look warm and happy thats it,but remember it can go colder some years and a few years ago we had 13below. Two dogs make a great difference but if you lost one and temps plummit then youve got a cold dog. The worst for me is a cold wet dog back from work.Possibly hes lost some blood aswell.He needs a good warm meal and some heat on him in the form of a heat lamp for me because its the nearest thing to the sun warming you through. Ive got bullx dogs with very short coats,and I know when they are feeling the cold because like you I just observe them.

Dont quite understand why you would turn heat off at 8 though.Mines on all the time the dogs in kennel.When they go out they are active and when they go back theyve got the heat again.

I dont keep heat on saplings that are carrying a bit of fat (not too much) and bed together but dogs that are being worked and carrying little body fat and have short coat can benefit,but its not necessary.

They also seem to suffer less from rheumatism in old age.

My post was based on everyday kennelling, not for a dog that is wet, injured or suffering from blood loss. Sure this would require additional care.

I also assumed that most people use the heat lamps on a timer. I've never heard of anyone using a heat lamp 24/7 during the winter months. That's a first for me.

My dogs spend the night in the house after lamping, i can keep an eye on them, dry them, clean them up and they can spread out on a big quilt. But I don't have the heating blasting, I keep it cool.

Same for a retired dog suffering rheumatism, it would be indoors ??