tegater

Woodcock-nice to see them back

we had a good morning on the woodcock earlier.My 2 shooting mates and another chap we invited out went for our 1st serious morning at woodcock this season resulting with 8 in the bag and 11-12 flushed by the dogs,dogs worked very well and were still flying after 3 hours of heavy cover,good shooting,good dog work and good craic on a crispy frosty morning what more could a man ask for.

• Like 6

On 24/11/2016 at 3:51 PM, fat man said:

we had a good morning on the woodcock earlier.My 2 shooting mates and another chap we invited out went for our 1st serious morning at woodcock this season resulting with 8 in the bag and 11-12 flushed by the dogs,dogs worked very well and were still flying after 3 hours of heavy cover,good shooting,good dog work and good craic on a crispy frosty morning what more could a man ask for.

A dig in the afternoon !!!!!!!

Apparently flushed three on Saturdays syndicate day. Not generally good area for woodcock so a good early indication really. Big moon on Friday night I guess will have brought them in. Now the season has started!

Now if later this season I can bag one over my young cocker I'll be made up!

Flushed a woodcock on the opening day and if my memory serves right I've never seen one on the 1st before.

Didn't get a shot though.

We had out 1st couple on friday morning,great to see them back in again,will give them another go on saturday.

Have only seen 2 so far 1 on the first I was taken a closer look at a new den and 1 got up at my toes and seen the hounds put 1 up on sun.must give them a rattle this sat

Sunday morning getting across a barbed wire fence, gun empty, dog sitting and a brace of Woodcock got up behind me on their own terms and went left and right. Probably my first ever chance of a left and right. Hopefully not my last, LOL.

Was out saturday for a couple of hours,had the springer and 2 labs out,flushed 7 that i seen accounting for 3,i was in very heavy cover and shooting was hard to say the least,if my mate was with me we probably woulf have had a better day but i was alone,still a good couple of hours,missed a real easy cock pheasant,broke asnd flew a straight line right down in front of me and i never put a grain in him,lol sah well if you shot everything it would get boring.

• Like 2