• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Each as good as the other, the only two things that a .177 has over a .22 is price of pellets and a flatter trajectory   If you can put the pellet where its needed then either cal will kill what yo

Hi mate,   It comes down to a few things really on your part mate due to the list you have written being 2 potential night time quarry and 2 day time species.   I would ask myself the following qu

If its a springer, I'd go .22 as the recoil is softer and more manageable and I'd keep hunting range down to about 35 yards, but if pcp i'd go .177 as they are recoilless and up my hunting range to about 45 yards (after lots of practise) due to flatter trajectory.

D.

ive had my 177 since i started shooting when i was 14, 13 years on i still got it, bit battered but still does the job, i have had 22's and got rid now i have a rapid in 20 and think its the dogs, will not sell either of these anymore, but it dont matter what u get they will all kill anything your allowed to kill with an airgun

No slagging, just home truths.. ;) It takes a proper man to use the proper hunting calibre (.22) to it's maximum effect.. :whistling::laugh:

When im bigger , i want a 22 and a bull X :tongue2:

Grow up.

Who you telling to grow up ? Me ? Mal ? Both of us ?? FYI we`re having a laff , not that it concers you , or your bad attitude . Wind ya neck in ........

Buster 321c I also think you should grow up ,even if your theory on 22 users appears to be true.

Barry White ? The real one ?? I think you should sing us a song about man love between .22 users :toast:

Edited by Buster321c

Having never hunted with 177 I can only talk about 22. Zero your scope @ 35yrds. For a target @ 20yrds aim for the base of the skull, 40/45yrds aim for the ears much further than that with a 12ft .22 gun is not really on. but for hedgerow hugging standing quick shots a 22 carbine is the way to go....But I've got the urge for a full length 177 for a bit of HFT and to plink the cheeky buggers who think they're safe on the other side of the paddock :thumbs:

You could simply have both calibres, buy one, then get the other calibre when time and funds allow! The .177 is an ideal summer hunting tool, when winds are light (???) as the .177 can suffer with being blown off course. You can get round that by using a heavier pellet, but then the looping trajectory of the .22 is more evident. Another way round this is to get a .22 and use a scope like a MAP or SR reticle Hawke, with Charigun and.or BRC you can get accurate impact information.

On the HW100 I have a Hawke SR6 scope, that gives me a 30 metre zero point and 5 metre impact points to 60 metres. So you can shoot to kill at ranges beyond your zero point with ease. The Airmax scopes from Hawke are available in a MAP reticle at prices that are realistic (from about £40 depending where you shop). This coupled with a good air rifle will give you opportunity to hunt effectively!

Well, we each have our own opinions, but i disagree. Forget the BDC's and other fancy gimicks. Get out with the gun and start plinking as you walk. Get your eye used to distances and hold over and before long you won't even need to think. The gun should become an extension of your hand/eye and you won't spend all day worrying about which 5 yard aim-point to use, because most of the time, in true hunting situations, there won't be time. A jay alights on a branch for a split second, a squirrel hesitates at the base of a tree, a magpie lands at the top of a beech and gives you a fleeting opportunity. A good hunter with the 'feel' for the rifle will get those critters while your gimmick-mad' types will be busy worrying about all other manner of things, except smacking the vermin where it matters.

Up to 40 yards the .177 doesn't do much dropping if it is scoped at 25 yards. And as for wind? I don't think that is a factor in many air rifle hunting situations.

Just one thought....how does your fancy scopes work when shooting on anything other than horizontal.......BDC cannot compare to the experienced human eye when shooting up or down......

.177 an ideal summer hunting tool???....hhmm....are you speaking from experience ??? lol...statements like that make me laugh! :D :D JD

Forget the BDC's and other fancy gimicks. Get out with the gun and start plinking as you walk. Get your eye used to distances and hold over and before long you won't even need to think. The gun should become an extension of your hand/eye and you won't spend all day worrying about which 5 yard aim-point to use, because most of the time, in true hunting situations, there won't be time.

Spot on. :good:

Forget the BDC's and other fancy gimicks. Get out with the gun and start plinking as you walk. Get your eye used to distances and hold over and before long you won't even need to think. The gun should become an extension of your hand/eye and you won't spend all day worrying about which 5 yard aim-point to use, because most of the time, in true hunting situations, there won't be time.

Spot on. :good:

no your gun grasshopper :laugh: feel the gun be the gun :laugh: may the force be with you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

You could simply have both calibres, buy one, then get the other calibre when time and funds allow! The .177 is an ideal summer hunting tool, when winds are light (???) as the .177 can suffer with being blown off course. You can get round that by using a heavier pellet, but then the looping trajectory of the .22 is more evident. Another way round this is to get a .22 and use a scope like a MAP or SR reticle Hawke, with Charigun and.or BRC you can get accurate impact information.

On the HW100 I have a Hawke SR6 scope, that gives me a 30 metre zero point and 5 metre impact points to 60 metres. So you can shoot to kill at ranges beyond your zero point with ease. The Airmax scopes from Hawke are available in a MAP reticle at prices that are realistic (from about £40 depending where you shop). This coupled with a good air rifle will give you opportunity to hunt effectively!

Well, we each have our own opinions, but i disagree. Forget the BDC's and other fancy gimicks. Get out with the gun and start plinking as you walk. Get your eye used to distances and hold over and before long you won't even need to think. The gun should become an extension of your hand/eye and you won't spend all day worrying about which 5 yard aim-point to use, because most of the time, in true hunting situations, there won't be time. A jay alights on a branch for a split second, a squirrel hesitates at the base of a tree, a magpie lands at the top of a beech and gives you a fleeting opportunity. A good hunter with the 'feel' for the rifle will get those critters while your gimmick-mad' types will be busy worrying about all other manner of things, except smacking the vermin where it matters.

Up to 40 yards the .177 doesn't do much dropping if it is scoped at 25 yards. And as for wind? I don't think that is a factor in many air rifle hunting situations.

Just one thought....how does your fancy scopes work when shooting on anything other than horizontal.......BDC cannot compare to the experienced human eye when shooting up or down......

.177 an ideal summer hunting tool???....hhmm....are you speaking from experience ??? lol...statements like that make me laugh! :D :D JD

I live in Norfolk, what is up and down?

Eh? Don't you ever shoot up into trees? Are there no tree's in Norfolk?

Seems to me only six months ago you were lecturing us all that the cheapo chinese guns were great :whistling: and now, a few months later you're the guru on everything else. :D

Mind you, some of your posts do brighten my day up...... :D

p.s, winters here, can i borrow a .22 from your armory until springtime as i don't think i will bag much with the .177...... :blink: