Member Names

Those who have read the wonderfully evocative book " I Walked By Night" by Lilias Ryder Haggard will know all about the old poacher and his exploits. His real name was Frederick Rolfe.......and i have helped a good friend of mine do a lot of research into old "Rolfes" life history and there is to ba a book published shortly that tells the TRUE story of Frederick Rolfe and his life as "The King of the Norfolk Poachers"......and hopefully a DVD.

So......that is where the Rolfe name came from..... ;)

Brilliant book that Rolfe and hunt over near Bungay and the surrounding area sometimes,even know a few spots he talks about in the book.My father was a fireman for 50 odd years and use the name in respect for the service and the great job they do.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those who have read the wonderfully evocative book " I Walked By Night" by Lilias Ryder Haggard will know all about the old poacher and his exploits. His real name was Frederick Rolfe.......and i have helped a good friend of mine do a lot of research into old "Rolfes" life history and there is to ba a book published shortly that tells the TRUE story of Frederick Rolfe and his life as "The King of the Norfolk Poachers"......and hopefully a DVD.

So......that is where the Rolfe name came from..... ;)

Mine was taken in a similar vein, blucher was a poachers dog that once fought a keeper letting his owner escape. Many years ago i had a bit of a set to with an underkeeper that wasnt too keen on me. Incidentally did you know CHEVY CHASE took the name from a particularly violent poaching incident. That turned into a full scale battle with 1427 english and 1947 scots killed. AHH DONT YOU MISS THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

Just a question.

There are lots of Members on here whose user names are self explanatory. There are others who are aren't......

I've had mine for years.

It started off in the office one day when a new member of staff started work, and when asked what her hobbies were, she said she skied.. Another one of my coleagues said 'Matty D skies' and from then on it stuck.

Any one else care to share?

:icon_eek:

i always just thought you were polish :unsure:

Lavrockhall is the old name for the village I live in .

would that be larkhall by any chance? my granny was from there.

my name is obviously derived from the fact that I am a very slightly built female ;)

Edited by bigbird
my friends convinced a really thick but pretty waitress in pizza hut that biffo was my real name, it stuck

eh biffo wasn't that the name of a character from either the dandy or beano comics showing my age lol