Joe Calzaghe vs Roy Jones

I've met Joe and spoke to him several times at fights, he seems a genuine decent bloke, who loves his sport. Really hope he wins, but he can slap rather than throw a punch, I know he suffers with his hands and they break like kit kat fingers and I think his work rate will get him through but if anyone thinks he doesn't slap watch the Peter Manfredo Jr. fight again, the bloke was stopped without being touched hardly because he didn't throw anything back I dont believe he was hurt in the slightest.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think ive watched most of calzaghes professional fights and this is the first time ive thought he could get knocked out and do worry that because he's so focused on leaving the game after this fight he's a little distracted and adding power to the USA changes at the moment i woudlnt want to write off any black mans belief at the moment and especially a man like jones who can bang and will see this as a pay to relight his career and cement it even further in greatness....i'll be rooting like mad for joe but i won't be suprised it he meets a sudden end

Wouldnt say i know anymore than the next man.......but im going to stick my neck out with this one and say i think joes going to get knocked out !...i hope im wrong as id love to see him leave the game with an unbeaten record.

I just think that the boxing game has a strange way of showing the truth and the truth is calzaghe should have fought both jones and hopkins in their prime...but managed to evade them both and has got them both right at the end of their careers....

Style wise i think depending how much jones has left he could make joe look a fool he is a pinpoint puncher with decent power and has the ability and brain to slip joes straight punches and the accuracy and power to land his own......i hope im wrong,everyone i speak to thinks im a loon for saying it but im going to go for a jones win by stoppage.

gnasher - joe never fought those two , early on , because them yanks did'nt fancy it themselves , plenty of other stiffs for them to fight for easy cash , the truth is nobody wanted to offer big fights for joe , because of his awkward southpaw style and the fact he was an extremely good fighter, who they did'nt want , my thoughts on the fight , i think joe WILL WIN , albeit on points , but who cares , he'll be a legend anyway.

Edited by dennned
I've met Joe and spoke to him several times at fights, he seems a genuine decent bloke, who loves his sport. Really hope he wins, but he can slap rather than throw a punch, I know he suffers with his hands and they break like kit kat fingers and I think his work rate will get him through but if anyone thinks he doesn't slap watch the Peter Manfredo Jr. fight again, the bloke was stopped without being touched hardly because he didn't throw anything back I dont believe he was hurt in the slightest.

Yep manfredo didn't even wobble. Shame it could have shaped up to be something if the ref had let it! :thumbdown:

Some good posts on here, lots of comments ring true! :good:

Guest blackntan

ROY JONES HAS BEEN A TRUE CHAMPION, LIKE ALL GREATS HE HAS A GOOD CHIN , MY FEAR FOR JOE IS HE MIGHT TAKE THE FIGHT TO JONES TO EARLY , JONES IS ONE OF THE GREAT COUNTER PUNCHES AND CAN BOX GOING BACK-WARDS, TACTICALLY JOE HAS NEVER FOUGHT A FIGHTER OF JONESES CALIBER , AND NEEDS TO THROW FAST COMBINATIONS HE HAS NEVER BEEN THE MOST MOBILE OF FIGHTERS , I THINK THIS WILL GO ALL THE WAY BUT JOE ON POINTS , PRAY NO SPLIT DECISION OH AND FROCH COULD NOT LACE BIG JOES BOOTS

Edited by blackntan
gnasher - joe never fought those two , early on , because them yanks did'nt fancy it themselves , plenty of other stiffs for them to fight for easy cash , the truth is nobody wanted to offer big fights for joe , because of his awkward southpaw style and the fact he was an extremely good fighter, who they did'nt want , my thoughts on the fight , i think joe WILL WIN , albeit on points , but who cares , he'll be a legend anyway.

The reason these fights didnt take place were because calzaghe being champion felt they should come to wales to fight him....he priced himself out of the fights and demanded that being champion big name yanks go over to unknown ( on world boxing terms ) wales to fight.....its just not going to happen.....only now he is at the end of his career and these big name yanks are just that big names and nowhere near as dangerous opponents as they once was is joe going over there to fight them......as for these people saying calzaghe is past his best as well...yes he probably is slightly,but he has never been in a hard fight ! with the level of fitness fighters like calzaghe/hopkins etc have its not years that take their toll its tough fights and joe hasnt had any so naturally isnt as washed up as other fighters his age.....calzaghes game is based on an unbelievable level of fitness and workrate...he rarely sits down on a punch and puts full force into them which is why people say he slaps,if he slapped the referee would take points off simple as that !

I would love to see him win i just think most times things even themself out in the fight game and joe has directed himself an easier ride than most get at that level....jones is no mug and certainly has the style,whether he has the fitness and desire anymore,who knows.