line breeding?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If breeding terriers or any working animal was as easy as some profess wouldn't we all have a yard of workers ? I've only had one lifetime,  I'm no expert but I can tell you what I've come to kno

i've been lucky enough to chat about breeding with some of what i class as greats worker breeders of the type i like , but as Dillydog has said we only have the one life time, i've had my own terriers

Exactly,  you can eliminate all the luck factors,  you can go to the legends with their legendary dogs and bitches and still produce shit.  I'm with you 100% in taking the guess work out of breeding a

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Some old wives tales too . Good thread to resurrect though mate .

There was a good thread on line breeding that you made a good contribution to foxdropper.

Can't seem to find it

In my experience  and a fact overlooked I think ,the dog used has a much longer bearing on whats produced afterwards  down the line than a bitch  .Bitches traits seem to be absorbed far quicker in the short term .Might be I favour a rough type of dog but just an observation .

5 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

In my experience  and a fact overlooked I think ,the dog used has a much longer bearing on whats produced afterwards  down the line than a bitch  .Bitches traits seem to be absorbed far quicker in the short term .Might be I favour a rough type of dog but just an observation .

Correct 

2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

According to the science behind it, both dog and bitch contribute equally and its then down to dominant and recessive genes. That said, the general belief round us was the dog needs to be rough and ready and able to kill his fox but the bitch was more important. As to which has a longer bearing is an interesting one....?

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Mixedgrill said:

I was taken down because of an argument I think 

Haha, I think you might be right. It was a very good thread, with some  experienced lads giving a good insight into how they bred and maintained their family of terriers.

And if my memory serves me right and my understanding was correct, I think foxdropper favoured the use of one stud dog over a number of bitches and then half brother to half sister, to keep and maintain the line. I thought this was very useful info and a good way to go

• Like 4
On 20/10/2008 at 22:32, bucknut said:

INTERBREEDING - THERE IVE SAID IT - THE STARTER OF CONVERSATION!

ON THE PEDIGREE OF MY TERRIER BITCH'S SIDE IT SHOWS ON EARLY IN THE PEDIGREE THAT A FATHER COVERED HIS DAUGHTER THEN AGAIN COVERED HIS GRAND DAUGHTER. GOOD STAMP DOG THO WITH NO FAULTS OTHER THAN IT KILLS OR ATTEMPTS TO KILL ANYTHING.

THE QUESTIONA ARE THESE;

1) IS SHE A HIENZ 57 MONG?

2) SHE HAS HAD A SON WHO IS A CRACKING STAMP CAN HE COVER HER OR WILL THAT f**k THE LINE UP?

ANY THOUGHTS IF YOU HAVE OR KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS DONE IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

CHEERS BUCK.

All my terriers are heavily line bred,ive mutts here that are sisters,aunties and nieces,fathers uncles and nephews within a few generations.The odd outcross is used as long as its well bred back into the line and apart from the infrequent slipped jaw ive never had a problem.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dead Eyes said:

Foxdroppers thread was brilliant. There's always going to be a difference in opinions when it comes to breeding. 

Chicken breeding has some brilliant ideas that can be, have been, and will be used in dog breeding 

:laugh: what you think I'm breeding dogs for KFC :icon_eek: