Brian Plummer Lurcher

think the book was rogues and running dogs or merle , fathom was very inbred collie line so i believe

all the best

She can't have been mate when her dad was a deerhoundx and her mum was a bullx, saying that though you probably did read something written by plummer stating that she was a colliex.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my partner knew Brian well. as close friend of his nick Mitchell, had fathom for a while he said she was a fair bitch for ferreting. i believe he did a little bit of lamping with her, then took her b

I know what you mean Gnipper; I remember reading an article years ago in the Shooting News in which he said he was adding merle border collie blood to his working beardies just in order to get merle beardies. He went into great length about what fraction beardie and border they'd have to be to be still regarded as beardies rather than cross breds. Then, several years later he claimed that beardies also came in merle and always had done and that the only reason they weren't recognised was because the ones used to produce the original KC beardies hadn't been merles. :whistling:

think the book was rogues and running dogs or merle , fathom was very inbred collie line so i believe

all the best

She can't have been mate when her dad was a deerhoundx and her mum was a bullx, saying that though you probably did read something written by plummer stating that she was a colliex.

i would be very suprised if there was any bull, in penguin, she is quite a light build with a slender head and muzel, i thought she was deerhound , colie bitsa type with a fair amount of running dog in the mix,

mind it dont realy matter does it :wacko:

David Hancock told me when i went there that Plummers Merle dog never touched a fox while it was alive...them pics of the fox lined up where taken outta snares etc...how true the book was, or Mr Hancocks tales where is anyones guess...to be honest, i thought the Hancocks where nice people, and i chatted with Sally on the phone and in person a fair bit...Joan was a bit of a fruit loop type though, although she seemed nice enough...i did like there 'Goose' dog, but i dont think he was bred from the Collies?

I also thought Penguin was 3/4 Grey 1/4 EBT i thought i had read?...I think that Grip dog was ment to be some animal though?...

Kye,..

Didnt his best mate Hancock breed a few experimental alsation litters?I wonder how they turned out?

hancock bred a little of alsation/greyhounds after being persuaded by plummer, plummer had met geoff battans whom hunted mostly deer with the cross :drink: trader

:thumbs::unsure:

Didnt his best mate Hancock breed a few experimental alsation litters?I wonder how they turned out?

hancock bred a little of alsation/greyhounds after being persuaded by plummer, plummer had met geoff battans whom hunted mostly deer with the cross :drink: trader

attingham park shropshire seems to spring to mind when you mention that name

Guest fell terrier

at one point plummer was actually riding the lurchers his self to see if he could get the cross to write books for him didnt succeed but he said the terrier cross was a better success

cross reading books plummer mated peguin to tony ahernes ,rusty which was a first cross collie greyhound not sure if this is the litter that fathom was from? but still not sure what peguins make up is but looking at pictures of the dog i would say alot of collie greyhound in her :icon_redface:

cross reading books plummer mated peguin to tony ahernes ,rusty which was a first cross collie greyhound not sure if this is the litter that fathom was from? but still not sure what peguins make up is but looking at pictures of the dog i would say alot of collie greyhound in her :icon_redface:

Fathom was a bit older than Merle who was the same age as Rusty according to the book merle.

Not 100% sure what the oroginal fathom was to be honest but would always thought that it would have been collie blooded. There may have been some bull way back but it was certianly well diluted by the Pherab and Medra era.

Fathom 2 was either merab or phedra (always got them muddled up) x Hancocks Goose - red merle half cross. Defenatly was no GSD in them.

I used to take Fathom 2 out very often and she was suberbly well trained but she lacked a bit of pace for me. I would have put a greyhound over her and you would have had some cracking pups.

She ended up going to a guy down south called Mark (cant remember his surename) when Brian knew he wasn'r going to get better.

Edited by minion
The original Fathom was probably one of the best lurchers plummer ever had on his yard she was bred out of penguin i believe to Grip [f1 Arkinglas deerhound x greyhound]i dont think either parent was bred by him Grip was bred by Bodger but class dogs in the field Grip sired a load of bitches and some real good types.

I owned a couple down from Grip if they was on it was over great mouths and stamina to burn i saw Grip kill his last hare with Terry Aherne he was thirteen then old battered and with half a tail .

FUNNILY ENOUGH JUCKLER ,

I WAS TALKING TO A LAD TWO DAYS AGO THAT KNEW BODGER QUITE WELL YRS AGO AND MENTIONED THE GRIP DOG AS A DECENT PRODUCER DURING THE CRAIC

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Fathom was a bit older than Merle who was the same age as Rusty according to the book merle.

merle was run at the same time as penguin on fox in the book merle, so meaning rusty could have been put over penguin to breed fathom {just look at peter stringfellows lol}

Not 100% sure what the oroginal fathom was to be honest but would always thought that it would have been collie blooded. There may have been some bull way back but it was certianly well diluted by the Pherab and Medra era.

Fathom 2 was either merab or phedra (always got them muddled up) x Hancocks Goose - red merle half cross. Defenatly was no GSD in them.

I used to take Fathom 2 out very often and she was suberbly well trained but she lacked a bit of pace for me. I would have put a greyhound over her and you would have had some cracking pups.

She ended up going to a guy down south called Mark (cant remember his surename) when Brian knew he wasn'r going to get better.

Little Fathom, I believe was the result of a tully x merab mating

Edited by Garn