Learning the meaning of words

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I speak English, well, as much as a Geordie can ! And also get by in Arabic. I can have very basic conversations in a couple of other languages, and can manage a menu in a few other languages.  Inte

I speak Scottish fluently. There are many head scratchers for beginners. For example: ya fenian,bead rattling  bass. ( You are a Catholic b*****d who habitually prays whilst clutching rosary beads)

I downloaded a dictionary on my phone, 1st 1 I downloaded was an american 1, them fckrs know less words than me and cant spell for shit

Posted Images

I was doing a course once and the lecturer described a painting as   a" phantasmagoria of metaphysical and existential phenomena".  A scouser sat next to me said to him " what the f**k does that mean? The lecturer got really flustered and couldn't answer. A phoney exposed I reckon.Lol

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, mackem said:

@chartpolski used the word schadenfreude a while ago,as I read it I suddenly remembered a word I learnt at school,the English version epicaricacy.

Well, they say every day is a school day and I always believed there was no literal translation from the German but it seems there is…..fantastic, love little bits of useless knowledge like this so thank you. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I thought it was a Village People tribute band …… ! LOL !

Cheers.

We are facing the Spanish Foreign Legion lads…..watch out for an attack from the rear ! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

I came across a new word on here yesterday 'copium'. A newly coined word which stems from blending the words opium and cope. It's used to describe a feeling of disbelief and unreality as though you taken opium. It is generally used when somebody cannot accept a sporting defeat of their favourite team. I quite like it.

I had to look it up, I hate not knowing what words mean

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Bakerboy said:

I had to look it up, I hate not knowing what words mean

I'm the same. I have a notebook in my bedside drawer which I write down any unusual words in when I'm reading. I also use it for writing down unusual words for possible future dog names.

3 hours ago, Neal said:

I'm the same. I have a notebook in my bedside drawer which I write down any unusual words in when I'm reading. I also use it for writing down unusual words for possible future dog names.

I used to have a notebook and dictionary beside each other and I always try and read a non comic newspaper. Now I google several times a day. No referring to an out _of_ date encyclopaedia or using a dictionary. It's instant knowledge. A complete gamechanger. Youtube is brilliant too for gaining knowledge,particularly do_ it_ yourself_ jobs. I'm always heartened by the number of decent people on YouTube who actually want to help others. I've lost count of the number of households jobs or car problems I've solved via YouTube. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

I used to have a notebook and dictionary beside each other and I always try and read a non comic newspaper. Now I google several times a day. No referring to an out _of_ date encyclopaedia or using a dictionary. It's instant knowledge. A complete gamechanger. Youtube is brilliant too for gaining knowledge,particularly do_ it_ yourself_ jobs. I'm always heartened by the number of decent people on YouTube who actually want to help others. I've lost count of the number of households jobs or car problems I've solved via YouTube. 

I downloaded a dictionary on my phone, 1st 1 I downloaded was an american 1, them fckrs know less words than me and cant spell for shit

Edited by Bakerboy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
4 hours ago, Bakerboy said:

Drives me insane when I send msgs and have to go back and correct the Yank shite spellings courtesy of autocorrect.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I do exactly the same mate and it's got to be one of the greatest positives of the world wide web having this knowledge at your fingertips. 

• Like 1

I have a quite strong Northern mill town accent that I haven't really lost, despite living in Cornwall for over 30 years but when we used to go to the Waterloo Cup and meet up with 5 or 6 if the Valley lads, my mate and I ended up talking like we were born and bred in Merthyr after only 4 or 5 days 😂 

Cheers, D.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, dytkos said:

I have a quite strong Northern mill town accent that I haven't really lost, despite living in Cornwall for over 30 years but when we used to go to the Waterloo Cup and meet up with 5 or 6 if the Valley lads, my mate and I ended up talking like we were born and bred in Merthyr after only 4 or 5 days 😂 

Cheers, D.

I do something very similar when I go home for a few days after wards . Drives my misses insane . 

“pick your sploits up off the stairs or you’ll get paggered “

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I do something very similar when I go home for a few days after wards . Drives my misses insane . 

Your accent is pretty soft, it’s not harsh like Yorkshire or unintelligible like Newcastle.

Essex when you hear this modern drivel (“alright fella” !!! People who say that should be thrown in the sea !) sounds f***ing terrible, but old Essex would sound very much like Norfolk or Suffolk today.

The London accent is being lost under a wave of this shit fake wog patois and put on yuppie uni tripe. 

Birmingham…..well, f**k sake like ! 

On 17/05/2024 at 19:57, mushroom said:

Drives me insane when I send msgs and have to go back and correct the Yank shite spellings courtesy of autocorrect.

A few years back, I was working in an Infant school class and we had a game set up on the interactive whiteboard. It would provide the kids with a word and they had to decide if it was a real word (in which case they dragged it to a treasure chest) or a nonsense word (or drag it to the bin). If they were right the pirate did a jig.

On one occasion it came up with the word adze...and the bloody thing thought it was a nonsense word. Oh well, at least the kids learnt a little bit about archaic tools that day.😁 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Just tell her to be quiet and make up your bait marra.