Wildlife Getting Closer

11 hours ago, Arry said:

In all my life only ever seen one Red Kite in Devon and that was about two years back right over my house.

Cheers Arry

Same here Arry, was same sort of time and flew over the house, I rang a mate and he said there was a nesting pair seen in a woodland near Dunchideok, not far from me and I've a big lump if permission up there, I've never seen any pairs though, just one solitary bird but in 2 occasions 

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Learn to trust the dog mate.They know more than what we do.One of my pet hates has always been blokes trying to send their dogs down holes or encouraging them into cover like they know better than the

Seen a few in Cornwall, not common but they are here. Got bullfinches on my feeders this year, several goldies, few siskin and a few greenfinch as well as the usual stuff. Shit phone pics.

I was walking round the local estate recently and saw a green budgie in the woods interacting with a load of other small British birds quite naturally ,saw a pair of macaws flying free in Blaise  cast

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

In wales,they are like feral pigeons.... everywhere...noticed that theres alot more sparrow/gos hawks about the last 5 seasons,was rare to see them in the 80/90's when I was growing up,same as barn owls👍

See a lot more peregrine's, as a kid was an amazing sight for me, had one dive on our tumbler pigeons once, never connected with any and a few went into a tumble/roll as it dived, no idea if that was just chance or design, but it looked pretty good! Lol

Brother lives in Exmouth and is watching a pair of peregrines nesting in the cliff edge there, starting to take pigeons etc back now... Nice sight on the evening dog walk .

• Like 4

The red kites was Getty the American fellas project, I think it started early 90s. '96 ish I started working over that way Ibstone, Christmas Common area. Got to know quite a few people over that way & gained a lot of permission from beating on small shoots. Youd see the kites back then from High Wycombe out westways. Years later I remember a news report that one had soared over London & it was the first in 150 years to do so. The welsh ones had smaller clutches than the imports apparently due to smaller gene pool, wonder if theyve started to merge bloodlines. 

Wick with buzzards around me but still see kites, the red & black. A few hen harriers about too, which are still a novelty.

Hopefully ill get some owl boxes knocked up in the near future too. Listening to this now trying to suss out which ones are around me, see the little & barn owls regular.

https://youtu.be/hLEXweu1c4c?si=SgQnEVCRMKAjkxz1

Edited by Waz
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, Waz said:

The red kites was Getty the American fellas project, I think it started early 90s. '96 ish I started working over that way Ibstone, Christmas Common area. Got to know quite a few people over that way & gained a lot of permission from beating on small shoots. Youd see the kites back then from High Wycombe out westways. Years later I remember a news report that one had soared over London & it was the first in 150 years to do so. The welsh ones had smaller clutches than the imports apparently due to smaller gene pool, wonder if theyve started to merge bloodlines. 

Wick with buzzards around me but still see kites, the red & black. A few hen harriers about too, which are still a novelty.

Hopefully ill get some owl boxes knocked up in the near future too. Listening to this now trying to suss out which ones are around me, see the little & barn owls regular.

https://youtu.be/hLEXweu1c4c?si=SgQnEVCRMKAjkxz1

Just get merlin bird I’d on your phone it will identify them all for you 

0A408283-1DF2-4EE2-8D3F-7B853455B665.png

• Like 1
On 16/04/2024 at 15:06, gnasher16 said:

Fair do's mate you get into all the nooks and crannies id love to have the countryside nouse as to know what im looking out for in order to come across such interesting shit i just wander about like a complete div following the dog most of the time :laugh:  

Probably more than what half the know it alls on here do mate.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

Probably more than what half the know it alls on here do mate.

:laugh: You said that not me.......its all good anyway i wish i did but i just dont really have an eye for things i'll see certain scenarios and try and piece them together like a crime scene and come up with nothing....then i'll ask someone whats the sp and it all makes sense,just experience i suppose......i love the countryside and am always following tracks and footprints the dog just stares at me like " what you doing down there you f****n idiot just follow me " :laugh:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

:laugh: You said that not me.......its all good anyway i wish i did but i just dont really have an eye for things i'll see certain scenarios and try and piece them together like a crime scene and come up with nothing....then i'll ask someone whats the sp and it all makes sense,just experience i suppose......i love the countryside and am always following tracks and footprints the dog just stares at me like " what you doing down there you f****n idiot just follow me " :laugh:

Learn to trust the dog mate.They know more than what we do.One of my pet hates has always been blokes trying to send their dogs down holes or encouraging them into cover like they know better than the one with a super sensitive nose on the front of its face.

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Learn to trust the dog mate.They know more than what we do.One of my pet hates has always been blokes trying to send their dogs down holes or encouraging them into cover like they know better than the one with a super sensitive nose on the front of its face.

Sound advice mate appreciated....dont get me wrong he's no super duper purpose bred killing machine he's little more than a general mooching/countryside companion we're like the blind leading the blind half the time but at this stage of life its all good fun :thumbs:

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Sound advice mate appreciated....dont get me wrong he's no super duper purpose bred killing machine he's little more than a general mooching/countryside companion we're like the blind leading the blind half the time but at this stage of life its all good fun :thumbs:

Like Gman says above, get the Merlin bird app on your phone and away you go….99% accurate in my experience. My Mrs hates anything with feathers but even she is a convert :victory:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Greyman said:

Just get merlin bird I’d on your phone it will identify them all for you 

0A408283-1DF2-4EE2-8D3F-7B853455B665.png

Got a starling sits singing in a tree out the front of me.., makes a noise like a load of mallards quacking on a pond. I remember hearing it last year but never twigged what it was at the time, but reckon its probably the same bird back this year. Hopefully I’ll catch it on the Merlin app.., be interesting to see what it makes of it 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

Got a starling sits singing in a tree out the front of me.., makes a noise like a load of mallards quacking on a pond. I remember hearing it last year but never twigged what it was at the time, but reckon its probably the same bird back this year. Hopefully I’ll catch it on the Merlin app.., be interesting to see what it makes of it 

I think starlings are the same family as mynah birds, and quite good mimics    be interesting if the app says mallard or starling 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

I think starlings are the same family as mynah birds, and quite good mimics    be interesting if the app says mallard or starling 

I know blackbirds mimic human whistles and car alarms in certain areas lol