24 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Obsessed,...yeah that is the word,...cannot thiink of a better one really🤔

I've spent most of my life, using dogs to hunt various quarry,...and for many years I have suffered pangs of conscience.

Not so much , due to the sheer quantity of game that I have killed, but more so, because I felt that I had wasted my life.

However,..when I put things into perspective, and consider matters logicaly, I now know that I did, what I was supposed to do, I had no other choice really,...it is, what it is....and now, for the first time in many years, I am at peace.....🙏

00pp1.tif.jpg

Money cant buy the memory's stored in your head  👍 

• Like 3

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morty, a filth generation lamper he tracked 7 cwd and a munty single handed during the day in January. Not to bad considering it was his first daytime jaunt out.   

Another of Maurice, tracked this and put it on the deck single handed in the middle of a field without the aid of fence or ditch, we got there it saw us panicked and full of adrenaline it managed to g

More tracking for the shooting clowns 

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Some dogs just dont cut the mustard on the big fella's. On a night out Richie and a coursing x deer grey mix on a buck not a massive buck a decent sorrel though. The courser x deergrey was about 28tts with speed to burn. The run started with the courser x deergrey in front, it was pushing though, Richie just couldnt get in to do his job as he just didnt have the same fast speed as the courser which was dictating the speed/pace, this goes on for a half a dozen turns no mistakes from the buck as he probably didnt feel under any pressure then then luckily the courser x deergrey makes a mistake and stumbles allowing Richie to get into action, one turn a bit of rough and tumble and the buck is decked, with no help from the courser x deergrey but it did come in and take a hold when the buck was down! I walked over collared Richie put the breaker stick in his mouth and broke him off then stepped back and clamped him between my knees as I knew he would do somersaults watching what was about to happen. The courser was now on its own holding the buck, it did not even keep hold for ten seconds as soon as the buck struggled and the courser deeergrey realized it was holding on its own it just let go and stood back as the buck got up and made off it never made any effort at all to keep hold or follow the buck as it made off, Richie was going crazy to be back off but I had him held tight. We had missed a nice buck about an hour before because the courser was just pushing and I needed to do this to prove the point. The buck in the picture was about the same size. The courser x deergrey was not my dog.

IMGP1509.JPG

This has always been my thing when people say he's a fast dog or she's a fast dog yeah may well be bit with out the game and drive it's just a fast dog 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Some dogs just dont cut the mustard on the big fella's. On a night out Richie and a coursing x deer grey mix on a buck not a massive buck a decent sorrel though. The courser x deergrey was about 28tts with speed to burn. The run started with the courser x deergrey in front, it was pushing though, Richie just couldnt get in to do his job as he just didnt have the same fast speed as the courser which was dictating the speed/pace, this goes on for a half a dozen turns no mistakes from the buck as he probably didnt feel under any pressure then then luckily the courser x deergrey makes a mistake and stumbles allowing Richie to get into action, one turn a bit of rough and tumble and the buck is decked, with no help from the courser x deergrey but it did come in and take a hold when the buck was down! I walked over collared Richie put the breaker stick in his mouth and broke him off then stepped back and clamped him between my knees as I knew he would do somersaults watching what was about to happen. The courser was now on its own holding the buck, it did not even keep hold for ten seconds as soon as the buck struggled and the courser deeergrey realized it was holding on its own it just let go and stood back as the buck got up and made off it never made any effort at all to keep hold or follow the buck as it made off, Richie was going crazy to be back off but I had him held tight. We had missed a nice buck about an hour before because the courser was just pushing and I needed to do this to prove the point. The buck in the picture was about the same size. The courser x deergrey was not my dog.

IMGP1509.JPG

I owned such a dog myself Joe,best dog I've ever seen on Roe yet on the bigger species she would run onto them like an exocet missile then just slow down awaiting help,once knocked over by another dog she would do what needed doing but she just didn't have the want/heart to get up close & personal on her own with one of the larger species,fantastic on Roe as I said but most certainly wasn't one for the big lumps of venison. I've seen others do the same which weren't owned by me & just because they can knock a Roe or CWD over doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that they will do the same with the bigger beasts.

• Like 3
Just now, Penda said:

This has always been my thing when people say he's a fast dog or she's a fast dog yeah may well be bit with out the game and drive it's just a fast dog 

They do need speed but its only a part of the jigsaw another piece missing and its not complete.

Feck the Fallow,...our dogs were never up to the task....

The only chance we ever had,.. was after the Rut,...other than that , feck'em...🙄

Just too big, too strong, and nothing but trouble.....😉

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5
2 minutes ago, FUJI said:

I owned such a dog myself Joe,best dog I've ever seen on Roe yet on the bigger species she would run onto them like an exocet missile then just slow down awaiting help,once over by another dog she would do what needed doing but she just didn't have the want/heart to get up close & personal on her own with one of the larger species,fantastic on Roe as I said but most certainly wasn't one for the big lumps of venison. I've seen others do the same which weren't owned by me but just because they can knock a Roe or CWD over doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that they will do the same with the bigger beasts.

The dog I wrote about could murder hares for fun and I saw it take plenty roe, most of its roe were fence bouncers though! I dont rate dogs on roe until I've seen them catch regular without the aid of obstacle's though.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Feck the Fallow,...our dogs were never up to the task....

The only chance we ever had,.. was after the Rut,...other than that , feck'em...🙄

Just too big, too strong, and nothing but trouble.....😉

PICT0052.JPG

Cracker, you chaps are spoilt down there with them.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, joe ox said:

The dog I wrote about could murder hares for fun and I saw it take plenty roe, most of its roe were fence bouncers though! I dont rate dogs on roe until I've seen them catch regular without the aid of obstacle's though.

half descent dog kill ever roe they run soon as they get to em no more then a couple a bends 

• Haha 1

It sure does get your heart racing when you set eyes upon a few big lumps of venison..great thread folks,brave dog's & keen owner's I tip my hat to you all 👍🏻

1702569658691-01.jpeg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, joe ox said:

They do need speed but its only a part of the jigsaw another piece missing and its not complete.

I had a bitch very similar to your stamp of dog don't tell hull any way she was good at killing fox and deer and met her end before 2 unfortunately but she just had what I like to call the nack she weren't what I'd call an up an at em dog but what she had was the ability to strike quick and at the right time and put pressure on the fox,I can go back to a night I lamped with a Billy bullshitter told me his dog had done multiple fox etc all that I just said "oh yeah" looked at his dog not a mark on it now I'm not saying by any means a dog has to be marked up to be a warrior in the field but at some point they will get caught some where this dog clean as a whistle any way night went on this dog had picked a few bunnies up in good fashion lad seemed abit over happy about this but we carried on into the night my bitch had missed the couple of runs I gave her on bunnies this was abit unusual for her cause she could pick bunnies up in hard places,I said come on spot over the road we,ll try reckon be a fox there or a roe got the this spot farm fields back of some houses flicked lamp on 30 yards out fox sniffing floor I said to lad when I put lamp on again we,ll slip the dogs he said what is it I said "just slip when I tell yah" lamp on dogs off his dog was at it like a bullet my bitch just sat behind him his dog got almost parallel to the Charlie he must of looked right into its eye no contact made at all not even a nudge, my bitch looked as if to say "move out my way"she flew past that dog like it never existed 😂 hit the fox full tilt that dog just stud back in full shock never got involved once with that kill fox copt her muzzle she put it to bed the lad was in horror with the blood on the muzzle I said mate that dogs never saw a fox has it he said yeah but never caught 1 he shuck my hand and said wanna sell her I said no chance mate. That same week she killed another in the next field with another young dog say young she was younger then both the dogs I'd run her with shame she met her end early but I had good memories with her couldn't believe for a young bitch how she could handle foxes like a pro,lady her name was bless her 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, FUJI said:

It sure does get your heart racing when you set eyes upon a few big lumps of venison..great thread folks,brave dog's & keen owner's I tip my hat to you all 👍🏻

1702569658691-01.jpeg

put the dog on a proper lead and not slip for half hour once i spot them fuji lol

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, joe ox said:

That doesnt really get mentioned much does it but numbers of bodies infront of a dog dont mean much to me its how they do them id much rather see a couple taken in style infront of me than 10 killed at hedges or 3 oceans away when its had the sting took out of it.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, C.green said:

That doesnt really get mentioned much does it but numbers of bodies infront of a dog dont mean much to me its how they do them id much rather see a couple taken in style infront of me than 10 killed at hedges or 3 oceans away when its had the sting took out of it.

If your lamping them then the law of averages says the majority will be fence bouncer's or caught in a ditch etc especially up north where the fields etc are much smaller than further down the road..perhaps down South it would be highly likely to be the total opposite to that. Running them daytime was a different thing as you were often pushing them from cover & into the open to run them,in the dark they almost always try to run to cover & therefore fences,hedges & suchlike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, C.green said:

Lamping dogs often need to get the job done very quick which can sometimes mean quite a bit rough and tumble, they dont have the luxury of following something into the sunset and waiting for it to run out of steam.