• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morty, a filth generation lamper he tracked 7 cwd and a munty single handed during the day in January. Not to bad considering it was his first daytime jaunt out.   

Another of Maurice, tracked this and put it on the deck single handed in the middle of a field without the aid of fence or ditch, we got there it saw us panicked and full of adrenaline it managed to g

More tracking for the shooting clowns 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Bits n bobs said:

I think it’s safe to say that anyone fully committed to the job usually will or should breed from the stock they have that are ticking the boxes at the very least every other year to ensure they have stuff coming through, it only takes one fatality to ruin the best laid plans so rather than throwing silly money around constantly hoping for a good one why not breed from what you’re looking at especially when they are only being bred for your own team. If I had an outstanding bitch I’d dog it at 3 years old especially since I’d only be thinking of myself.

every other year ? lol 

you get a stand out breed it early then enjoy it while it’s there 

no good been over dogged 

2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

My dad used to eat gulls eggs, you could buy them in the Grainger market….. probably illegal now.

I boiled up a badger ham once, but the smell and the grey  scum put even me off from eating it. 
I know squirrel became very fashionable in restaurants a few years back, but I think of them as tree rats.

I eat just about everything I catch and when a huge old fighting bird I took pity on when his career came to an end because he lost an eye, he went into the pot when he got too manny.

C6E90D6A-B592-4FD5-A5A8-51BC78648930.jpeg.57b3994dcd88a682e51ce594bbecbb29.jpeg

Cheers.

I miss the old game birds I'd have them back in a click 

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

every other year ? lol 

you get a stand out breed it early then enjoy it while it’s there 

no good been over dogged 

Have you got a family or line of your own that you have bred your own way to suit what you want and what you need for what it is you do?

it’s easy enough to get shot of scrap or wastage but one fatality scuppers the whole plan so in my opinion breed from a bitch at 3 if she’s doing the business that way if you lose her you have at the very least a chance to replicate her with the pups. And if you’re culling hard and out doing it several times a week you’ll probably never be over dogged because only the top drawer animals will stay and even the average ones will be wastage. But no doubt my theory is ridiculous and you’ll have some sort of moronic comeback so I’ll just sit here and prepare to shake my head at it. 

5 minutes ago, Bits n bobs said:

Have you got a family or line of your own that you have bred your own way to suit what you want and what you need for what it is you do?

it’s easy enough to get shot of scrap or wastage but one fatality scuppers the whole plan so in my opinion breed from a bitch at 3 if she’s doing the business that way if you lose her you have at the very least a chance to replicate her with the pups. And if you’re culling hard and out doing it several times a week you’ll probably never be over dogged because only the top drawer animals will stay and even the average ones will be wastage. But no doubt my theory is ridiculous and you’ll have some sort of moronic comeback so I’ll just sit here and prepare to shake my head at it. 

to be honest i can’t argue with a lot you have wrote there 

7 hours ago, Bits n bobs said:

Your right there mate I used to think il waite til the dogs had atleast 3 good seasons but then I spoke to a lad who has had decent dogs as far as I can remember and he said to me if the dogs doing what you want and your happy take a litter only problem is you get people who don't do a fat lot and they take a litter,I used to live for lamping out lamping more then i was in but these days with my life at present timr I go few hours few times a week dogs or dog gets work I get out I'm not traveling up and down the country  I'm happy with them sometimes 🤣 

I meant to add to that part about the breeding none of us know what's round the corner and that's reason I'm saying you should breed from a dog when your happy with what's it's doing I've had a few decent bitches killed way before there time and dogs and a few I was gutted I never had longer and I never bred from,I've got a young dog here now I've mentioned stone cold mental I cringe when I take him out sometimes and I've put him on a bitch already and another lad has asked to put him over his 7 year old 3/4 type bitch before she's good gone as she's a decent bitch but he wants something more robust for the bigger deer, I doubt he will see old bones this dog not nice to say but its in my head all the time with him but will see how he goes 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Any working dog man who doesnt admit to having a few failures is either a liar or doesnt work his dogs hard enough to test them properly. 

I could write a book about failures

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, joe ox said:

Any working dog man who doesnt admit to having a few failures is either a liar or doesnt work his dogs hard enough to test them properly. 

Thats right mate but this is just me there's a dog for ever job 1 dog that's not good for 1 thing will be good for another it's better to have an all round type but it doesn't always pan out that way 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Penda said:

Thats right mate but this is just me there's a dog for ever job 1 dog that's not good for 1 thing will be good for another it's better to have an all round type but it doesn't always pan out that way 

To many dont know what they want or have the staying power to stick with and work with a dog, sadly thats why we see so many lurchers on the merry go round and in rescue centres. I hate to see dogs passed about from pillar to post.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, joe ox said:

Never checked the price of venison for years its probably still the same as it was 40 year ago?

That's the very reason they should NEVER come home in the same motor as a decent dog or two Joe,they just ain't worth it.

• Like 1