Consistently low numbers of rabbits this year

Welcome to my pity party 😁 In East Anglia we get less rain compared to most of the UK but it's still very wet on my ferreting permissions and this winter I have not taken more than five in any one outing. On these farms 10 years ago I'd be stopping once I caught twenty as I couldn't process more in one go.

Myxi has been bad where numbers looked good in summer, VHD hit populations like Thetford forest seemingly not returning and flooding looks like the final straw. On the plus side it's still great to be out with the dogs, they are always optimistic ,😜

I've seen a few photos on social media of big catches in the dales this year but are rabbits still numerous anywhere else? 

PXL_20231227_133319441.jpg

PXL_20231227_133452078.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm quite fortunate got a couple nice pieces of land that hold good numbers of rabbit, and I only take them with lurchers and ferrets and never feel the need for to play the numbers game

No never, no when your getting specimens like this

One thing rabbits just cannot handle, is the wet AND the cold,...combined...... They can take one or the other,...but continuous soaking, day in, day out,...never being able to get dry and warm,.

Posted Images

Quite ironic really l l a friend of a friend had permission in one of the places you mention for years and ended up getting bored of it.

First he stopped using nets n bolting to his dog then he'd just use his dog for putting them up, and sometimes lamping but as said the novelty wore off he got bot bored obviously not all but most rabbits were not a challenge compared to other places he has were he'd get 1/4 of the amount but the dog would work just as hard or harder n better faster sport.

He ended up letting some pals go there with there bops its each to there own isn't it..

• Like 3

Rabbit number local to me have been dropping for years you get the odd pocket that holds a good number trouble is if people sniff out a decent rabbits population they hit them hard all year round then as time goes on they wonder why there not there when I was younger I was out more times then on was in never took big numbers but I used to always take a few but some people just take it to a next level almost wiping populations out fair enough is you have to do it but think once there gone the farmer don't need you there,me personally I go where I won't so it doesn't bother me much but to some people it's gonna take a toll

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Penda said:

Rabbit number local to me have been dropping for years you get the odd pocket that holds a good number trouble is if people sniff out a decent rabbits population they hit them hard all year round then as time goes on they wonder why there not there when I was younger I was out more times then on was in never took big numbers but I used to always take a few but some people just take it to a next level almost wiping populations out fair enough is you have to do it but think once there gone the farmer don't need you there,me personally I go where I won't so it doesn't bother me much but to some people it's gonna take a toll

Air gunners quoting pest control in the middle of summer. grips my shit mate, Round here they are as rare as hens teeth at the minute, yet people are still after what little are left. 

4 minutes ago, Penda said:

Alas the ferrets are doing feck all

31 minutes ago, paulus said:

Air gunners quoting pest control in the middle of summer. grips my shit mate, Round here they are as rare as hens teeth at the minute, yet people are still after what little are left. 

Yeah that's true paulus they kill the young in the spring then wonder where they've all gone once the winter raises its head 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

don’t you see hundreds in the distance mate we’ll out the beam some land they take some right sneaking about work to get a run 

Oh there are places but I'm just saying they aren't where they were I took blackie to a spot other week I uses to ferret that as a kid I can remember taking 40 or more in a couple of outings with the older lads all them Warren's are dead that's just 1 place 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Penda said:

Oh there are places but I'm just saying they aren't where they were I took blackie to a spot other week I uses to ferret that as a kid I can remember taking 40 or more in a couple of outings with the older lads all them Warren's are dead that's just 1 place 

id say it’s the ferreters mate i’ve had spots here always good for a few then a divvy with a spade nets and ferrets and a collar decimates it ten year on still barren 

better a little ferret bolts a few for dogs a bit a sport 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

id say it’s the ferreters mate i’ve had spots here always good for a few then a divvy with a spade nets and ferrets and a collar decimates it ten year on still barren 

These things happen I used to love ferreting but obviously I love running dogs more hs2 has alot to blame where I am but on the upside there's been an increase in other stuff so there's light at the end of the tunnel

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

if ferreting is that good mate, how do you explain numbers in the dales year in year out? 

• Like 3