Old Grafters

6 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I'll take a look at it in a couple of years wilf and weigh up my options, I just know a change is needed. 

Your first thought is your best thought mate, after that whatever you decide can’t be wrong can it.

atb 

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as me,punched my guts out since leaving school and planned to be  semi retired at 50, mortgage free and be able to pick and choose 2/3 days a week for beer money...the rest of my days will hopefu

Watched my ole fella bust a gut till he couldn't anymore, spent his last years with a knackered body and eventually a knackered mind, fcuk working till mid seventies.  I'll graft away till my you

I've been a binman for the last 23 years . It used to be a great job , with decent money , decent hours , and a great bunch of lads to work with . I'm  unbelievably bored with it now and i feckin hate

Posted Images

The trouble is, works no f***ing fun anymore…..as they have phased out readies and replaced it with rules, regulations, paperwork, pointy nosed nerds and smug uni grads who have a f***ing heart attack at the sight of a twenty pound note it’s just not any fun…..there’s f**k all in it to make it enjoyable.

People Don’t deal with people any more, they deal with “a team” made up of utter pricks who happened to be kicking round the organisation doing f**k all and got collared for the job, nobody’s word is their f***ing bond, nobody knows how to behave like proper chaps…..it’s just all so f***ing painful ! 

• Like 9

Where my youngest lad boxed Priory park a few of the young pros used to jump on the bins I know a couple had run ins with a few of the overseas tenants which ended as soon as it started with a couple of them going back to sleep 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, green lurchers said:

Still scaffolding  not as easy as yrs gone by  but I got a great half days work in me for a days money at 60 lol 

I take my hat off to you mate I did it for 5 years taking the job on when I was 40 with a scaffolder who just had me and another lad working with him who had council contracts and private work. I was used to hard graft but this idiot I worked for would work in passing down rain and snow and was getting good money but paying us a pittance. I was only labouring to him and another scaffolder but went on the spanners for a short while when the other scaffolder jacket to go on the power stations. I reckon their is not many scaffolders over 50 never mind 60.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I've lucky enough to gave been retired nearly twenty years. I still wake up every morning and think __thank f**k no work today. 

It wasn't the work that I resented, it was the people. Organisations bring out the worst in people. Crawlers especially. Low life shit with zero sense of dignity or self worth.

I found this out when I left the pit. I have never worked any where since that had the same comradery and lads who had your back and would risk their lives for you if the situation arose wile at work. 

10 hours ago, jukel123 said:

It f****n enrages me to see piss in plastic bottles by the side of major roads..truckers brew. Nowhere to stop,have a shower or a decent meal, without some without some office shite hawk tracking their every fart.

You seen the new trucks mate ? Microwaves, kettles, HD TV's, climate control, all mod cons.

We have trackers fitted and Im one of those shite hawks 😂 its all a bit of swings and roundabouts if the guys don't put in a shift (and there are strict rules, working time, drivers hours etc to stop them being overworked) then we lose the contract and in turn someone has to lose their job. We have some brilliant drivers and some that don't turn in, take avoidable detours, and sometimes simply refuse to do jobs and they are putting mine and the other drivers jobs in jeopardy, so Im comfortable tracking them.

PS: Still dislike the job and counting down my days to retirement though         

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

You seen the new trucks mate ? Microwaves, kettles, HD TV's, climate control, all mod cons.

We have trackers fitted and Im one of those shite hawks 😂 its all a bit of swings and roundabouts if the guys don't put in a shift (and there are strict rules, working time, drivers hours etc to stop them being overworked) then we lose the contract and in turn someone has to lose their job. We have some brilliant drivers and some that don't turn in, take avoidable detours, and sometimes simply refuse to do jobs and they are putting mine and the other drivers jobs in jeopardy, so Im comfortable tracking them.

PS: Still dislike the job and counting down my days to retirement though         

Ain’t life all a bit like that now though mate ?…..my first motor at 17 was an old Ford D series tipper, I wasn’t allowed to drive it until 18 but I did, no tacho, no VOSA, just avoid the odd ministry check and off you go and earn your living.

Then it was Luton vans, that went with VOSA checks etc with a team of nerds looking to rinse you for a few quid and treating you like Pablo Escobar for having 100 kg too much on your arse end…..this is after having got a 70 quid parking ticket or two that day and paying congestion charge or whatever.

Then it’s IR35 and everything done on an accounts app, then the bank want to question you like your are dealing arms to Iraq if you deposit or withdraw a grand in readies.

Did away with cash at the scrap yard, did away with cash in business.

Cameras, fines, charges, this motor is fine, that motor isn’t, can’t stick a pound in the meter any more you have to do it by app and it charges you different depending on what motor you have

f**k me, I even had to purchase a “license” to listen to the f***ing radio in my showroom !! 

It wasn’t “second hand” any more it was “waste stream” so I had to fork out for a license for that.

Goods in transit insurance, contractors all risk, public liability…..all on top.

A receipt from the trade waste place no good any more, oh no, got to have a “mandatory” bin outside your warehouse at another 20 or 30 sovs a month.

What happened to “just get in you van, go to work and earn your money” ? 

I have diverged a bit from your post and as far as HGVs are concerned nobody wants some over hours Eastern European half cut on vodka wiping out their family but it’s gone all the other way now.

I used to buy loads of kit that was destined to just get scrapped off the moving boys as they were on the way back to their yard, I got a living and they topped up their wages so it was win/win but that all stopped when they fitted trackers because the firm didn’t want them doing that, they got the sack, so now they earn a pittance and a load of perfectly good kit gos straight in the landfill…..!! Amazing ! 

I still speak to an old boy I used to work for years ago, in fact I bought him out and he “retired” except he didn’t because he couldn’t, he loved it too much…..he was probably the hardest working bloke I have ever met in my life, as in psychotic about graft…..we once went to work on a Monday and didn’t go home until Saturday afternoon and worked the whole time, day and night shifting 100s of tons of kit and that old boy was working into his 80s because he loved the pound note.

Last time I spoke to him he said to me “It’s not worth working any more….there’s nothing in it!” 
When blokes like that are saying that then something is badly wrong.

Seems like these c**ts in government don’t want people to earn a living, they want to prey on people and keep every f****r struggling……no wonder we have generations of people with no sense of worth and no hunger to get up and go. 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, WILF said:

Ain’t life all a bit like that now though mate ?…..my first motor at 17 was an old Ford D series tipper, I wasn’t allowed to drive it until 18 but I did, no tacho, no VOSA, just avoid the odd ministry check and off you go and earn your living.

Then it was Luton vans, that went with VOSA checks etc with a team of nerds looking to rinse you for a few quid and treating you like Pablo Escobar for having 100 kg too much on your arse end…..this is after having got a 70 quid parking ticket or two that day and paying congestion charge or whatever.

Then it’s IR35 and everything done on an accounts app, then the bank want to question you like your are dealing arms to Iraq if you deposit or withdraw a grand in readies.

Did away with cash at the scrap yard, did away with cash in business.

Cameras, fines, charges, this motor is fine, that motor isn’t, can’t stick a pound in the meter any more you have to do it by app and it charges you different depending on what motor you have

f**k me, I even had to purchase a “license” to listen to the f***ing radio in my showroom !! 

It wasn’t “second hand” any more it was “waste stream” so I had to fork out for a license for that.

Goods in transit insurance, contractors all risk, public liability…..all on top.

A receipt from the trade waste place no good any more, oh no, got to have a “mandatory” bin outside your warehouse at another 20 or 30 sovs a month.

What happened to “just get in you van, go to work and earn your money” ? 

I have diverged a bit from your post and as far as HGVs are concerned nobody wants some over hours Eastern European half cut on vodka wiping out their family but it’s gone all the other way now.

I used to buy loads of kit that was destined to just get scrapped off the moving boys as they were on the way back to their yard, I got a living and they topped up their wages so it was win/win but that all stopped when they fitted trackers because the firm didn’t want them doing that, they got the sack, so now they earn a pittance and a load of perfectly good kit gos straight in the landfill…..!! Amazing ! 

I still speak to an old boy I used to work for years ago, in fact I bought him out and he “retired” except he didn’t because he couldn’t, he loved it too much…..he was probably the hardest working bloke I have ever met in my life, as in psychotic about graft…..we once went to work on a Monday and didn’t go home until Saturday afternoon and worked the whole time, day and night shifting 100s of tons of kit and that old boy was working into his 80s because he loved the pound note.

Last time I spoke to him he said to me “It’s not worth working any more….there’s nothing in it!” 
When blokes like that are saying that then something is badly wrong.

Seems like these c**ts in government don’t want people to earn a living, they want to prey on people and keep every f****r struggling……no wonder we have generations of people with no sense of worth and no hunger to get up and go. 

I work in a industry where we have 4 regulatory bodies monitoring us VOSA, Environment Agency, the local water regulator and HSE, compliance is a nightmare. We had a HSE visit a few weeks back I've had to put signs up by the sinks telling the blokes how to wash their hands and provide them all with individual nail brushes, we got a improvement notice for that and were charged £700 for the privilege.

Funny thing is when I pull the blokes on each job missed or each unnecessary diversion taken and now making sure they wash their hands properly Im the Shite Hawk, but at the end of the day its just about keeping them all in a job.

56 at the moment but 4 more years and Im out of it and cant wait, but if I have to go earlier we will manage.                  

• Like 1

I work in a industry where we have 4 regulatory bodies monitoring us VOSA, Environment Agency, the local water regulator and HSE, compliance is a nightmare. We had a HSE visit a few weeks back I've had to put signs up by the sinks telling the blokes how to wash their hands and provide them all with individual nail brushes, we got a improvement notice for that and were charged £700 for the privilege.

Funny thing is when I pull the blokes on each job missed or each unnecessary diversion taken and now making sure they wash their hands properly Im the Shite Hawk, but at the end of the day its just about keeping them all in a job.

56 at the moment but 4 more years and Im out of it and cant wait, but if I have to go earlier we will manage.                  

Funnily enough we had a visit from HSE and condemned a few machines and told to improve our working practices, some of the boys who have been there years have been spitting their dummy's out because basically they can't do what they want nowadays .. it's a pain but when looked at properly you can see what the HSE pulled us up on is/was a necessity as it was unsafe. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chid said:

Funnily enough we had a visit from HSE and condemned a few machines and told to improve our working practices, some of the boys who have been there years have been spitting their dummy's out because basically they can't do what they want nowadays .. it's a pain but when looked at properly you can see what the HSE pulled us up on is/was a necessity as it was unsafe. 

Don’t you think though that the whole country is now run around these “non job” industry’s like the HSE and all the various bodies just like it ?

Im not saying people should work in squalor or risk their life but what happened to just retaining your people by treating them right ?……you don’t need a bloke on 50 large a year driving round telling people how to wash their hands and charging you 700 quid for the honour.

That 700 quid is real money out of real work, it ain’t growing on trees…..and that seems to be the way now, various government agency’s just helping themselves at will.

Used to be with a bit of stock money, a motor and some gumption a lad could get out on his own and get going……now he has to pay a 100 other c**ts just to meet regs before he even thinks about starting.

Got to the point if I was working in London for a week it cost me 100 a day before I earned a penny, parking ticket because you ain’t going to walk tons of kit 200 yds up the street to a parking space that’s £8 an hour anyway and that your lorry or van don’t fit in to start with, congestion charge and a drop of diesel…..that’s £500 a week and I ain’t even bought myself a cup of tea yet !

A monkey totally buckshee off the back of other peoples Labour….then all the other shit comes out of what you do mange to keep, gets to a point where you think “I must be a f***ing idiot ?” 
Which is actually what I did and went “f**k it, I’ve had enough”

The British are industrious fuckers, we work very hard as a rule and always have and I take my hat off to anyone running a business now because the head space they must have to devote to just the demands of government must be atrocious.

That country would be booming if they just got off peoples back and let them get on with it. 

• Like 6

Common sense has gone out the work place (so has a lot of little perks lads had )now it's some university kid with a degree on a power trip with no first hand experience of the job just what they learned in a class room running things that's why I don't do site work feck that and all that comes with it 

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, WILF said:

Don’t you think though that the whole country is now run around these “non job” industry’s like the HSE and all the various bodies just like it ?

Im not saying people should work in squalor or risk their life but what happened to just retaining your people by treating them right ?……you don’t need a bloke on 50 large a year driving round telling people how to wash their hands and charging you 700 quid for the honour.

That 700 quid is real money out of real work, it ain’t growing on trees…..and that seems to be the way now, various government agency’s just helping themselves at will.

Used to be with a bit of stock money, a motor and some gumption a lad could get out on his own and get going……now he has to pay a 100 other c**ts just to meet regs before he even thinks about starting.

Got to the point if I was working in London for a week it cost me 100 a day before I earned a penny, parking ticket because you ain’t going to walk tons of kit 200 yds up the street to a parking space that’s £8 an hour anyway and that your lorry or van don’t fit in to start with, congestion charge and a drop of diesel…..that’s £500 a week and I ain’t even bought myself a cup of tea yet !

A monkey totally buckshee off the back of other peoples Labour….then all the other shit comes out of what you do mange to keep, gets to a point where you think “I must be a f***ing idiot ?” 
Which is actually what I did and went “f**k it, I’ve had enough”

The British are industrious fuckers, we work very hard as a rule and always have and I take my hat off to anyone running a business now because the head space they must have to devote to just the demands of government must be atrocious.

That country would be booming if they just got off peoples back and let them get on with it. 

People don't have common sense anymore.. they would risk their lives because the boss told them to I've seen it first hand on many occasions in the place I work and these ain't young lads these are ones in their 40s and 50s who should know better 

14 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Common sense has gone out the work place (so has a lot of little perks lads had )now it's some university kid with a degree on a power trip with no first hand experience of the job just what they learned in a class room running things that's why I don't do site work feck that and all that comes with it 

From what I’ve seen of it, there are more Paki “traffic Marshall’s” on building sites in London than actually real workers, all stood round scratching their dirty arseholes and making everyone’s life a misery.