Straight lines by Sarah

8 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You know what, mate, and I'm totally serious here.  I remember your Hancock bred dog, AND my son has owned a 3/4bred from him, a few associates of mine have owned dogs from him, plus I owned a dog sired by taffy, one of his stud dogs, to a locally bred very greyhoundy mongrel lurcher bitch, and NONE of them have been slow.  All catching hares pretty regularly.  

Not saying you did, but did you try your dog on a hare when he was a bit too young, and not quite ready?

There's a BIG difference between a rabbit's speed and a hare's speed.

We didn't see many hares mate he might have had 4 runs or something. My first lurcher , I made loads of cockups but he was a jacker although he excelled with rabbiting, marked really well . I miss his speed a little but absolutely nothing else, but anyway that dog put me off anything with collie or Hancock for life. I'm smitten with my Wheaton bull lurcher bitch , I'd have a pup from her but she's 8 and never had a litter and I can't do working dogs justice anyway. Been a pleasure to own such a lovely family dog and loads of prey drive, 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who says they have not had or seen a dog straight lined, has not got the experience to voice an opinion worth listening to.

If you listen to half the people out there they've never blanked in there life always got dogs that are world beaters and everybody else's dogs are inferior

The dreaded words I hate to hear from anyone who is out with me " its dead this " well it might of been until you jinxed it!!!!!

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Borr said:

We didn't see many hares mate he might have had 4 runs or something. My first lurcher , I made loads of cockups but he was a jacker although he excelled with rabbiting, marked really well . I miss his speed a little but absolutely nothing else, but anyway that dog put me off anything with collie or Hancock for life. I'm smitten with my Wheaton bull lurcher bitch , I'd have a pup from her but she's 8 and never had a litter and I can't do working dogs justice anyway. Been a pleasure to own such a lovely family dog and loads of prey drive, 

Why was he a jacker, mate?

On 23/12/2023 at 08:50, joe ox said:

Anyone who says they have not had or seen a dog straight lined, has not got the experience to voice an opinion worth listening to.

Alas Joe your speak the truth I've had more get away then I've caught in my life and so it should be 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Penda said:

Alas Joe your speak the truth I've had more get away then I've caught in my life and so it should be 

Well said I also don't understand those that go out all guns blazing as soon as the crops are down the hares are green n dumb and the dogs learn nothing not even fitness ok understandable if young lads we've all been crazy keen but it's also grown men killing there own sport but as you say this is the best time and what it's all about and it's great to see quarry fit wise n strong and at there lethal best 👌 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, dodger said:

Well said I also don't understand those that go out all guns blazing as soon as the crops are down the hares are green n dumb and the dogs learn nothing not even fitness ok understandable if young lads we've all been crazy keen but it's also grown men killing there own sport but as you say this is the best time and what it's all about and it's great to see quarry fit wise n strong and at there lethal best 👌 

Each to there own I can understand bringing young dogs on to a degree but then who would want to run a dog on hard ground hands ✋️ in the past I've done it being young keen and impatient but if you play the waiting game it's alot better 

2 minutes ago, Penda said:

Each to there own I can understand bringing young dogs on to a degree but then who would want to run a dog on hard ground hands ✋️ in the past I've done it being young keen and impatient but if you play the waiting game it's alot better 

Imo it's best to get them fit with the hares and not to peak to early 

46 minutes ago, dodger said:

Good post, see it every year grown men rushing out in August & September to kill half growns, not just hares either the fawns and fox cubs get it as well. If a young dogs bred right and not entered too young it shouldn’t need starting on the young of any quarry.

Edited by Deerhunter1
  • Like 3
26 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

Good post, see it every year grown men rushing out in August & September to kill half growns, not just hares either the fawns and fox cubs get it as well. If a young dogs bred right and not entered too young it shouldn’t need starting on the young of any quarry.

Totally agree there fat and disorientated from the cover just coming down there usually taken out quick the dog learns nothing regards to new tricks learned on the runs the owner hasn't seen much of a run and the dog hasn't even increased his fitness levels much.

Much better to run 2 twice a week from October as opposed going out all guns blazing then the runs get better as the hares get better anyway hence getting fit with the hares aswell as not killing your own sport then give em some stick, but as you know alot don't get the conservation side of things these days n seems to be alot about braging rights to numbers with alot of aspects to hunting..

Edited by dodger
  • Like 6
5 minutes ago, dodger said:

Totally agree there fat and disorientated from the cover just coming down there usually taken out quick the dog learns nothing regards to new tricks learned on the runs the owner hasn't seen much of a run and the dog hasn't even increased his fitness levels much.

Much better to run 2 twice a week from October as opposed going out all guns blazing then the runs get better as the hares get better anyway hence getting fit with the hares aswell as not killing your own sport then give em some stick, but as you know alot don't get the conservation side of things these days n seems to be alot about braging rights to numbers with alot of aspects to hunting..

All about numbers for some but really big numbers don’t mean much because below average dogs can put plenty game away if they’re taken to the right places. The way the weathers gone the last few years anyone starting before October is taking a big risk with injuries anyway