What career path would you have trod if….

6 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

You should see the life Bradley's get in factories. I worked in lots of places where grown men would relentlessly bully retarded or simple people. I worked in a dye works where this bloke who was thick as f**k, was employed to wash dye measuring vessels in a sink. A good number of the guys would throw their dirty vessels in the sink so as to deliberately splash this lad. All f****n day splash, splash , splash in his face. He never complained. He did not have a bad bone in his body. His chief persecutor was a bloke not much cleverer than him. And I told him to lay off. He ignored me so I started to make him feel uncomfortable by stepping on his toes and his heels. Stuff which wasnt obvious . f**k me if he didn't call in sick one day and said he was frightened to come to work because of me. c**t!

Bradley's other unofficial job was to go the shop with a list for pies and sandwiches. We were sitting having our dinner one day when another weasel threw his pie at Bradley and hit him in the face. He was screaming "I didn't order this". Fragments of the pie hit me and I leapt out of my chair instinctively and shouted " ffs leave him alone ya twat."  The bloke wasn't really annoyed he was just showing  off . After that a lot of the lads laid off him and the bloke who threw the pie creeper and crawled to me from the day on.

I tell you what if I was to be marooned on a desert island and had to pick a friend to go with me, I would pick a Bradley every time.

Seen shit like that and the bullies are always cowards. 

• Like 2

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a very moving funeral yesterday im in a somewhat reflective mood and reading through this topic i realise that through all the if's,but's and maybe's we can only make the best of who and what we

My obsession with dogs and poaching in hindsight was my downfall as a career and job's mostly played second fiddle. The job I wanted on leaving school was working for British Steel as it was good mone

If I never ended up in Borstal at 15...then I would of joined the military like my Dad🙄 I dont have many regrets in life tbf ...the choices I made were all my own...you make your bed you lie in it...

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

“Compassionate Conservative”……..

Cheers.

I was trying to predict what your reply would be and I thought it might be " not a tory just someone with common sense this morning". But I will take " compassionate conservative". Thank you . Lol

1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

I was trying to predict what your reply would be and I thought it might be " not a tory just someone with common sense this morning". But I will take " compassionate conservative". Thank you . Lol

You can be on the left and not support Labour.

You can be on the right and not be a Tory.

They have both strayed far from and abandoned their original purpose and remit.

Cheers.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Anyone remember the Remploy Factories, whatever happened to them ?

There was a one next door to a place I worked. They would employ mentally and physically handicapped people, on a very basic wage, doing low level assembly jobs. I thought they were a good idea, it got them involved, a sense of purpose and a bit more money than benefits.

I think those jobs have now been outsourced to the private sector. My local Asda has a young lad and lass, who are quite obviously “not all there”, they don’t seem to do much but stand around, never on the tills or even stacking shelves, but they are very friendly and helpful. I make a point of saying hello to them or asking where something is, even when I know.

It gives them a purpose in life and I guess they’ll get the same wage as the other employees.

One day the young lad was obviously not his usual self, a bit sullen and withdrawn. I asked the staff if anyone had been bullying him as I wouldn’t be very pleased about it. They said no, he sometimes gets like this but soon comes out of it.

Now I know that Asda won’t be employing these people out of the goodness of their hearts, they probably get money from the government or it goes on our grocery bills.

I can handle that, if it gives them a bit of dignity, purpose in life and a decent pay packet !

Cheers.

We had a Remploy factory dow the bottom of our valley, there was uproar whe they closed it, its an Aldi carpark now

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Anyone remember the Remploy Factories, whatever happened to them ?

There was a one next door to a place I worked. They would employ mentally and physically handicapped people, on a very basic wage, doing low level assembly jobs. I thought they were a good idea, it got them involved, a sense of purpose and a bit more money than benefits.

I think those jobs have now been outsourced to the private sector. My local Asda has a young lad and lass, who are quite obviously “not all there”, they don’t seem to do much but stand around, never on the tills or even stacking shelves, but they are very friendly and helpful. I make a point of saying hello to them or asking where something is, even when I know.

It gives them a purpose in life and I guess they’ll get the same wage as the other employees.

One day the young lad was obviously not his usual self, a bit sullen and withdrawn. I asked the staff if anyone had been bullying him as I wouldn’t be very pleased about it. They said no, he sometimes gets like this but soon comes out of it.

Now I know that Asda won’t be employing these people out of the goodness of their hearts, they probably get money from the government or it goes on our grocery bills.

I can handle that, if it gives them a bit of dignity, purpose in life and a decent pay packet !

Cheers.

There’s a massive difference between thick as shit and actually disabled….so we won’t blur those lines.

As for Remploy, they used to make office furniture and it was bloody good sturdy office furniture in it’s day…..I should know, I’ve shifted about 5000 ton of it back in the day.

But then we started making cheaper, more disposable stuff in China & Italy & Czech Republic.

We didn’t want wood veneer because it was too expensive and wasn’t green, it needed a 50 page chain of custody before you could sell it to any big project.

We didn’t want our kids to work in offices, we wanted them into computers and working from home and digital nomads and all that.

We don’t want the vans and trucks in our city’s to deliver, install, remove and dispose of the Remploy furniture of this world 

We wanted to do away with our industry and it’s associated “problems” and farm it out to others and people employed at companies like Remploy paid the price.

European working legislation has made it almost a waste of time for British furniture manufacturing (like most other manufacturing) because the long and short of it is, they don’t give a shit about any of that in China !

So the same people who say how unfair it is that companies like Remploy close down are also the same people who want more power to the unions and more workplace regulation and wage regulation and all the associated things that made us uncompetitive in those markets ! 

Folks shouldn’t pity the poor disabled working in the box tick job, they should make sure his real job in a real industry didn’t get closed down in the first place. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, WILF said:

There’s a massive difference between thick as shit and actually disabled….so we won’t blur those lines.

As for Remploy, they used to make office furniture and it was bloody good sturdy office furniture in it’s day…..I should know, I’ve shifted about 5000 ton of it back in the day.

But then we started making cheaper, more disposable stuff in China & Italy & Czech Republic.

We didn’t want wood veneer because it was too expensive and wasn’t green, it needed a 50 page chain of custody before you could sell it to any big project.

We didn’t want our kids to work in offices, we wanted them into computers and working from home and digital nomads and all that.

We don’t want the vans and trucks in our city’s to deliver, install, remove and dispose of the Remploy furniture of this world 

We wanted to do away with our industry and it’s associated “problems” and farm it out to others and people employed at companies like Remploy paid the price.

European working legislation has made it almost a waste of time for British furniture manufacturing (like most other manufacturing) because the long and short of it is, they don’t give a shit about any of that in China !

So the same people who say how unfair it is that companies like Remploy close down are also the same people who want more power to the unions and more workplace regulation and wage regulation and all the associated things that made us uncompetitive in those markets ! 

Folks shouldn’t pity the poor disabled working in the box tick job, they should make sure his real job in a real industry didn’t get closed down in the first place. 

It wasnt just office furniture they assembled, the one I knew assembled electric circuit boards; basically push component  “A” into hole “B”, place in plastic bag, put in box. More than likely fully automated now or done by kids in China.

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

Integrating the people that used to be employed In Remploy factories  into normal factories was partly an ideological decision supported by all 3 parties. Not just an economic one. It's the same in schools.....less special schools, more integration of disabled kids into mainstream classrooms. But many kids can't cope in mainstream schools.

There was  also a general swing away from putting the mentally handicapped and the mentally ill away in hospitals or lunatic asylums and housing them within the community. I support that.

But, believe me, there's a lot of vulnerable people bullied to f**k in the normal workplace. Sometimes it masquerades as 'fun'. But it's not, it's sick. There has got to be places for people like that to work free from harassment, where they can be given a sense of purpose and where they can earn a few quid. It doesn't matter if such a factory loses money. The primary purpose should be to protect and help people and give them sense of worth.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Integrating the people that used to be employed In Remploy factories  into normal factories was partly an ideological decision supported by all 3 parties. Not just an economic one. It's the same in schools.....less special schools, more integration of disabled kids into mainstream classrooms. But many kids can't cope in mainstream schools.

There was  also a general swing away from putting the mentally handicapped and the mentally ill away in hospitals or lunatic asylums and housing them within the community. I support that.

But, believe me, there's a lot of vulnerable people bullied to f**k in the normal workplace. Sometimes it masquerades as 'fun'. But it's not, it's sick. There has got to be places for people like that to work free from harassment, where they can be given a sense of purpose and where they can earn a few quid. It doesn't matter if such a factory loses money. The primary purpose should be to protect and help people and give them sense of worth.

I agree with almost all of that but the bottom line is, if it looses money it will close.

I should have added, I agree that in a country awash with money it shouldn’t have to close and should be protected…..it’s called looking after our own and we don’t do that any more.

We would much rather look after everyone else.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, WILF said:

I agree with almost all of that but the bottom line is, if it looses money it will close.

My opinion on the remploy factories is they should have been kept open. I would have not begrudged any of my tax going to support these places of work tbh.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, tatsblisters said:

My opinion on the remploy factories is they should have been kept open. I would have not begrudged any of my tax going to support these places of work tbh.

I agree mate, I added that in after because I knew what I’d written wasn’t clear. 

• Like 1

My boy is just about to do his work experience at school, they have to pick 3 different places.

He is the normal 16 year old lad and was a bit slow sorting things out so me and his mum sorted it out for him ! Lol ……..he is sporty so one was a gym but we thought it would be a good idea that he got some experience and humbleness out of his comfort zone……. so the others are a local printers run by a service that looks after adults with intellectual disabilities  and the printers employs those people (similar to the Remploy we have been talking about) 

The other is a charity shop, absolutely nothing glamorous about it, just doing non exciting work for something bigger than yourself.

I suppose it’s just forcing him into situations that most young lads would avoid and imho, that’s a good thing if he gets some experience of the other side of life with people less fortunate than him. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, WILF said:

My boy is just about to do his work experience at school, they have to pick 3 different places.

He is the normal 16 year old lad and was a bit slow sorting things out so me and his mum sorted it out for him ! Lol ……..he is sporty so one was a gym but we thought it would be a good idea that he got some experience and humbleness out of his comfort zone……. so the others are a local printers run by a service that looks after adults with intellectual disabilities  and the printers employs those people (similar to the Remploy we have been talking about) 

The other is a charity shop, absolutely nothing glamorous about it, just doing non exciting work for something bigger than yourself.

I suppose it’s just forcing him into situations that most young lads would avoid and imho, that’s a good thing if he gets some experience of the other side of life with people less fortunate than him. 

My eldest grandson has autism though not as severe as some and due to his mother's strict stance with him he works at a place near his home that makes high end sheds and summer houses and such like and is very conscientious at his work fortunately he his surrounded by a decent bunch of lads but worries a lot about his job when work drops off. It makes me sick when I see young lad's around me stinking of skunk and hanging around local shops being a nuisance the same age who have never done a day's work in there lives .

• Like 9
1 minute ago, tatsblisters said:

My eldest grandson has autism though not as severe as some and due to his mother's strict stance with him he works at a place near his home that makes high end sheds and summer houses and such like and is very conscientious at his work fortunately he his surrounded by a decent bunch of lads but worries a lot about his job when work drops off. It makes me sick when I see young lad's around me stinking of skunk and hanging around local shops being a nuisance the same age who have never done a day's work in there lives .

Good for him mate, people don’t realise the incredible effort it takes for autistic people to do things that we would all regard as “normal” 

Sound like the firm he works for are a decent lot.

• Like 3