Malinois cross lurchers

13 hours ago, runem said:

I wish the malinois breed had been more accessible and bred with greyhounds or lurchers many years ago.  

The cross is not what you think ,hypo, aggressive and noisy all comment from folk who have not seen the cross  let alone owned the cross.

Until I owned the mali/grey i also would have had the same opinion. 

To be honest the TOTAL opposite is true ,i have found them to be laid back , intelligent ,very loyal   in my short time with the cross not a single issue has arisen.

I don't know what Mali you used, but the half crosses I bred are pretty hyper. If they are not worked regularly then they are a nuisance. I get nipped/bitten by my bitch constantly when i let her out of the kennel, as she gets so excited. She isn't aggressive, nor should most well bred, well reared Mali's, they are just really excitable. Maybe a lesser percentage would be better suited to most.

At 9 years old she is calming down a bit, but you couldn't/shouldn't gee her up when you let her out, because you would get bitten. Not properly, but enough to leave you with a love bite and that is even through your clothes. She is not a bitch you could get heavy handed with, you would get properly bitten. You'd soon learn mutual respect.

As a youngster she was a nightmare for fecking off hunting, especially when she knew we were on the way home. Quite a few times during her younger years I thought it was time for her to meet her maker. Now I'm so glad she didn't. She has turned out to be a great bitch that would protect the family and catch anything you needed her to catch.

Saying all the above, I wouldn't have it any other way. Great bitch, totally obedient unless in action. Never dog aggressive, unless pushed hard.

When I had the pups, I put one up on here and I was reluctant to let it go to anybody because of the above. They have all been full on hunting dogs and that hasn't always been good for everyone 😬

• Like 6

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved my lad, he was up for a bit of sport👍

I've a Dutchie x Mali pup on now...just over 7 months. Hopefully she'll give me a bit of sport😏

if this works better, 'll post some more.

Posted Images

On 24/10/2023 at 21:47, shaaark said:

Well, with only about 1/3rd Mali, I should think it'd be an OK lurcher, as the deerhound, greyhound and whippet will have a good amount of a calming effect.

Well, suppose it like most lurchers, that near enough 3/4 sighthound, it deff have plenty of pace, not bad stamina, as mal run all day, and deerhound not bad for big dog, the whippet, and greyhound, be crap wind, agilty wise if not over big, be good. The temp like been said, the mal, been watered down, so might get just the sighthound nature. But in saying all this, as most know on here I've got a  11 year old 1x gsd x grey, now he  size as never stopped catching quarry, he pick rabbit up easy, had good bags with, had deer, few hares, and killed few foxes, he been great lamp dog deff. Regards temp, he picked up the greyhound temp I think, he just big soft thing with people and dogs, now he   1/2  x . Regards that mal type x, I be very surprised if the mal temp comes through, with all sighthound in it. But might be wrong, as people who 1/4 bred collie, or 1/4 pit etc, say the gene still comes through, I've always fancied a 1/4  kelpie x 3/4 grey type lurcher, I reckon that make great day/night  dog👍

• Like 1
10 hours ago, leegreen said:

I don't know what Mali you used, but the half crosses I bred are pretty hyper. If they are not worked regularly then they are a nuisance. I get nipped/bitten by my bitch constantly when i let her out of the kennel, as she gets so excited. She isn't aggressive, nor should most well bred, well reared Mali's, they are just really excitable. Maybe a lesser percentage would be better suited to most.

At 9 years old she is calming down a bit, but you couldn't/shouldn't gee her up when you let her out, because you would get bitten. Not properly, but enough to leave you with a love bite and that is even through your clothes. She is not a bitch you could get heavy handed with, you would get properly bitten. You'd soon learn mutual respect.

As a youngster she was a nightmare for fecking off hunting, especially when she knew we were on the way home. Quite a few times during her younger years I thought it was time for her to meet her maker. Now I'm so glad she didn't. She has turned out to be a great bitch that would protect the family and catch anything you needed her to catch.

Saying all the above, I wouldn't have it any other way. Great bitch, totally obedient unless in action. Never dog aggressive, unless pushed hard.

When I had the pups, I put one up on here and I was reluctant to let it go to anybody because of the above. They have all been full on hunting dogs and that hasn't always been good for everyone 😬

I have one that's only 1/4 mali with the rest bull/grey and the above sounds familiar☺️. As soon as I open the tailgate it seems like he can tell if game is about. His nose is unreal for a lurcher.

Does yours butt you with his front teeth to say "Lets go boss?". They are certainly characters but I'd say they wouldn't suit most lurcher folk. They need a good bit of early obedience and stockbreaking.

Mine's always got a stiff back the day after running ATM. I can think of at least 3 reasons why that might be but seems I'm stuck with it. If it weren't for the soundness issues he'd be my favourite lurcher ever. He's easily the most intelligent I've had in 50 years and most of those have been collie bred. As you say, very exciteable though. If you're bothered about being nipped you don't want one of these.

DSCF0932.JPG

DSCF0889.JPG

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

I have one that's only 1/4 mali with the rest bull/grey and the above sounds familiar☺️. As soon as I open the tailgate it seems like he can tell if game is about. His nose is unreal for a lurcher.

Does yours butt you with his front teeth to say "Lets go boss?". They are certainly characters but I'd say they wouldn't suit most lurcher folk. They need a good bit of early obedience and stockbreaking.

Mine's always got a stiff back the day after running ATM. I can think of at least 3 reasons why that might be but seems I'm stuck with it. If it weren't for the soundness issues he'd be my favourite lurcher ever. He's easily the most intelligent I've had in 50 years and most of those have been collie bred. As you say, very exciteable though. If you're bothered about being nipped you don't want one of these.

DSCF0932.JPG

DSCF0889.JPG

He looks fantastic👍 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, leegreen said:

Sounds wonderful 😊 

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, leegreen said:

This has been my experience of them. All the ones I've met (pure, not lurchers)  have been extremely driven and certainly a handful. One I know was from a litter in which all the others were used as protection dogs and his owner had to use a prong collar to stop him from attacking cars. But, having said that, it's amazing how much impact the greyhound can have on calming some crosses down.

I was saying to someone earlier today that, although most people add sighthound blood to add, among other things, speed to the base blood, I personally think one of the main benefits is in creating a dog without some of the other annoying habits that some people don't like in the base blood e.g. clingy, too 'worky', over sensitive, separation anxiety etc. Apologies if there are any typos but my cursor has vanished. Weird!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, postie said:

I've a Dutchie x Mali pup on now...just over 7 months. Hopefully she'll give me a bit of sport😏

20230515_154048.jpg

IMG-20230728-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20231027-WA0000.jpg

Really like those Dutch shepherd's.  

Without me trying to find anything on Google, where does the brindle colour in them originate from?

By the way, pup's a cracker.  👍

48 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Really like those Dutch shepherd's.  

Without me trying to find anything on Google, where does the brindle colour in them originate from?

By the way, pup's a cracker.  👍

Thanks mate👍...

Not sure about the colour but up to W.W.1 they were any all colours. I'm pretty sure GSD's used to be brindle as well🤔

5 minutes ago, postie said:

Thanks mate👍...

Not sure about the colour but up to W.W.1 they were any all colours. I'm pretty sure GSD's used to be brindle as well🤔

Yeah I read about, and seen some pics of brindle GSD'S a couple of years ago.

Think I also read that all Dutch shepherd's are some shade of brindle?  Certainly some cracking looking dogs.  👍

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, postie said:

Thanks mate👍...

Not sure if this true. But they reckon, brindle came from apbt, that they say was added to it years back, either way I think there great breed,  very similar to a mal, think Dutch is a thicker set dog. As your dog got any sighthound in it, or just them 2 breeds, you still got your other mal lurcher? As bill ever phoned you, I lost his phone number. 

16 hours ago, bird said:

Not sure if this true. But they reckon, brindle came from apbt, that they say was added to it years back, either way I think there great breed,  very similar to a mal, think Dutch is a thicker set dog. As your dog got any sighthound in it, or just them 2 breeds, you still got your other mal lurcher? As bill ever phoned you, I lost his phone number. 

No running dog in her mate. I haven't spoken to Bill for years...I lost his number as well. 

Unfortunately my old dog got killed last January mate😔

21 hours ago, postie said:

20230515_154048.jpg

IMG-20230728-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20231027-WA0000.jpg

Seven months..= hooligan stage.lol

Mine.. shit nose.bad bad feet..

Apart from that.. very prey driven..if I let her.. lol.good luck mate.

20190304_140420.jpg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, byron said:

Seven months..= hooligan stage.lol

Mine.. shit nose.bad bad feet..

Apart from that.. very prey driven..if I let her.. lol.good luck mate.

20190304_140420.jpg

Mine is dead calm in the house but like you said very prey driven...