Brian Plummer.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plummer and his books drew me to 2 things, the first was collie greyhounds and the second was Scotland.  From the moment I'd read all the books I dreamed of a blue mere half cross. But back then I cou

Don't know if it's just me but the older you get the faster it seems to go time that is.

Sadly I haven't been up for a good few years now. The last time I went we went island hopping off Orkneys. I took my old collie grey who I still have today but is 17 years old and on his last legs. I

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dodger said:

I thought that rouges n running dogs was the business when I was a keen as mustard young nipper with a big imagination..

I still have the first edition copy I bought in the late 70s that I recall caused quite a stir amongst the shooting fraternity and the landowners as he dedicated the book to the rouges and poachers who ran these dogs. You would have thought after a controversial comment like that his writing career would have been short lived instead it just went from strength to strength. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I still have the first edition copy I bought in the late 70s that I recall caused quite a stir amongst the shooting fraternity and the landowners as he dedicated the book to the rouges and poachers who ran these dogs. You would have thought after a controversial comment like that his writing career would have been short lived instead it just went from strength to strength. 

Was he self published,huddlesford publications I think?Got a misspelt modern ferretting first edition in storage in the UK.

I'm a fan... A huge fan of the works of David Brian Plummer. I've read and re-read his books many times over the years.

Sure, they're flawed, massively so, in some cases.... I knew that as a 12 year old kid.

Legend has it that Jimmy Keeling write R&RD's and Plummer 'stole it' from him. His lamping accounts in Merle are so doubtful, as are his digging tales in Artisan and Omega, as well as a million other faults BUT for me, i don’t care, I'd much rather pick up one of his books for entertainment than most others...

His books can draw me in so well, draw me to a life in the British countryside unlike any other author on the subject. And I know, for me, it's romance, nostalgia, even when he's writing in 'his' real time. 

I have little interest in the man. I met briefly him once and he was unpleasant, to say the least..!

If I was ever to go on Mastermind, my chosen subject would have to be the works of DBP.

20 years eh... Cheers Brian !

24 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I'm a fan... A huge fan of the works of David Brian Plummer. I've read and re-read his books many times over the years.

Sure, they're flawed, massively so, in some cases.... I knew that as a 12 year old kid.

Legend has it that Jimmy Keeling write R&RD's and Plummer 'stole it' from him. His lamping accounts in Merle are so doubtful, as are his digging tales in Artisan and Omega, as well as a million other faults BUT for me, i don’t care, I'd much rather pick up one of his books for entertainment than most others...

His books can draw me in so well, draw me to a life in the British countryside unlike any other author on the subject. And I know, for me, it's romance, nostalgia, even when he's writing in 'his' real time. 

I have little interest in the man. I met briefly him once and he was unpleasant, to say the least..!

If I was ever to go on Mastermind, my chosen subject would have to be the works of DBP.

20 years eh... Cheers Brian !

i heard your a scouse version of  brian plummer ? lol

• Haha 1
Just now, mC HULL said:

lol that a bite  bosun 

i jiust imagined you like most bull x owners dreamers along the lines of a brian plummer lol 

Not really, I've edited it.

Anyway, I own one of those wedge headed, crying bags of shite you also own. Same as I ran long before those fat heads, and long before you knew what a good hare was... 😉

8 hours ago, mackem said:

Was he self published,huddlesford publications I think?Got a misspelt modern ferretting first edition in storage in the UK.

I think he was when that book was published mate their is some black and white photos in the book some a few drawings that look like they were drawn by his pupils and a pic of a deerhound x that was a noted hare killer called beauty owned by a Keith Quimby. I admit to liking his books like rat hunting man artisan hunter as some of the places he mentions I know well when he was school teaching in Rotherham and some of the old boys who knew him and ended up having terriers off him. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I think he was when that book was published mate their is some black and white photos in the book some a few drawings that look like they were drawn by his pupils and a pic of a deerhound x that was a noted hare killer called beauty owned by a Keith Quimby. I admit to liking his books like rat hunting man artisan hunter as some of the places he mentions I know well when he was school teaching in Rotherham and some of the old boys who knew him and ended up having terriers off him. 

Plummer  brought the world of lurchers, terriers and ferrets out into the public  arena. Previously, the only time  you saw the word 'lurcher' was in the now defunct Exchange and Mart which was a weekly magazine where you could buy all,sorts. A bit like an offline Ebay. I guess he set Hancock up in business and despite producing some duffers, he also produced some cracking dogs.

Those who knew him reckon he was a wrong un, or partly a wrong un, but he did introduce a lot of folk into the sport because of his writings. I believe his terriers delivered what they said on the tin.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Plummer  brought the world of lurchers, terriers and ferrets out into the public  arena. Previously, the only time  you saw the word 'lurcher' was in the now defunct Exchange and Mart which was weekly magazine where you could buy all,sorts. A bit like an offline Ebay. I guess he set Hancock up in business and despite producing some duffers, he also produced some cracking dogs.

Those who knew him reckon he was a wrong un, or partly a wrong un, but he did introduce a lot of folk into the sport because of his writings. I believe his terriers delivered what they said on the tin.

Only fault I found in his later writings was his promotion of collie crosses due to his mate setting up a collie x breeding farm and other lurcher crosses referring them to bitzas as to seem inferior to the collie x . I know when I bred the two dogs in my profile picture in 84 both of them a mix of beddy grey x collie grey with a touch of deerhound down the line a couple of lads who had booked a pup chose to go to Hancock instead as they had been took in by Plummers sales pitch. The terriers I am on about were rough haired mongrelly types he had brought from Wales though by all accounts very good earth dogs. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Plummer  brought the world of lurchers, terriers and ferrets out into the public  arena. Previously, the only time  you saw the word 'lurcher' was in the now defunct Exchange and Mart which was weekly magazine where you could buy all,sorts. A bit like an offline Ebay. I guess he set Hancock up in business and despite producing some duffers, he also produced some cracking dogs.

Yes he was a bit of a liar and a bullshitter but lets not forget he was also a twat!!!

• Haha 1