What to look for when choosing a pup

12 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

Majority of top level greyhounds get fed raw and kibble together if it caused an issue for performance it would’ve flagged up by now. I find my dogs always look & perform better when they have an amount of carbs in their diet, tried the full raw thing couldn’t hold their weight when worked hard

You have to ensure the correct amount of food is given and add a small amount of veg to the diet, green beans are my preference and add lard in the winter, if the the dog is struggling adjust the ratio slightly and the amount accordingly. Giving the dog a small handful of fruit can also work. Raw fed dogs out compete kibble fed dogs providing its done correctly. With a sport such as sprinting the effects of a pure raw diet will be less obvious than with a coursing saluki as the diet will make the difference 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

🤔Personally,...I don't think we should over-complicate the situation, when selecting a dog for rabbit hunting... Most lurcher types can handle this particular quarry,..obviously, some are better

Get someone else to pick one for u then moan like feck at them if its no good 

Posted Images

On 01/09/2023 at 14:15, Maximus Ferret said:

Pick the one you like best. Personally I'd avoid anything weedy or excessively shy but if you're looking at 8 week old pups there's no telling what'll make best. It's partly down to you and a big part to breeding and luck.

spot on, alot of times some pups are already  picked , the ones i go for and this is just temp, are nice confident temps and ok size, at 8 - 9 weeks they change in size any way, but in temp alot keep that type temp, well ive found that after 37 years with lurchers, and similar with other breeds . i go for parents  24-25in  and strong build 50-60lb , good coat , bit of luck your pup be similar size when full grown. 

44 minutes ago, Lurcher23 said:

You have to ensure the correct amount of food is given and add a small amount of veg to the diet, green beans are my preference and add lard in the winter, if the the dog is struggling adjust the ratio slightly and the amount accordingly. Giving the dog a small handful of fruit can also work. Raw fed dogs out compete kibble fed dogs providing its done correctly. With a sport such as sprinting the effects of a pure raw diet will be less obvious than with a coursing saluki as the diet will make the difference 

Tried all the additives, veg & supplements, dogs still didn’t look as good or performs as well as when they had a mixture of raw meat and carbs as the main part of their diet. The carbs didn’t have to be kibble, the best my dogs looked was on a chicken carcass in the morning, then raw beef, tripe, pasta, mixed veg and a bit of that ultimate oil in the evenings

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

Tried all the additives, veg & supplements, dogs still didn’t look as good or performs as well as when they had a mixture of raw meat and carbs as the main part of their diet. The carbs didn’t have to be kibble, the best my dogs looked was on a chicken carcass in the morning, then raw beef, tripe, pasta, mixed veg and a bit of that ultimate oil in the evenings

Not get much better than that. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

That's devotion to your dogs mate credit to you takes effort that 👍

I'm intrigued care to share a picture or 2? must be well looking dogs.

33 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

I settled on raw minced  chicken carcass, mixed with cooked pasta and tinned tomatoes after trying loads of different combinations over the years. this worked best for my dogs. 

29 minutes ago, Chaff said:

Oh yeah 0 to casualty in less than 4 secs, it's like a drug isn't it mate.

Fast bikes fast dogs 👍

Try the Ninja H2R, casualty in 3 seconds and an empty wallet to buy it and keep it serviced Lol

The Kawasaki Ninja H2R broke the speed record by accelerating from 0-400 km/h in under 26 seconds

12 minutes ago, paulus said:

Try the Ninja H2R, casualty in 3 seconds and an empty wallet to buy it and keep it serviced Lol

The Kawasaki Ninja H2R broke the speed record by accelerating from 0-400 km/h in under 26 seconds

A friend of a friend has a H2, a beast of a bike, although the lad that owns it is a pretty sensible dude so it will rarely if ever be ridden proper fast but a nice thing to own if the wallet allows it. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, paulus said:

Try the Ninja H2R, casualty in 3 seconds and an empty wallet to buy it and keep it serviced 

I had a few in  90s mate, and no cameras back then, I have lots of story's getting away with it 😃

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Deerhunter1 said:

I’m not against rice or pasta but kibble should be avoided at all costs.