Springer russells

Mark r

The dog in the pictures is Patterdale (type) x working Springer. Not mine, result of an accidental mating between a friends terrier and one of his gun dog bitches. The bitch was taken to vets for injection but it didn't work and she had pups. Pet homes were found but he decided to keep one, I think more for sentimental reasons as the sire was meant to be the last of home bred stuff going back over 30 years. He just keeps gun dogs now.

Not really worked as my friend is only into the spaniels and that takes a lot of time and commitment to get them right but I have seen it out on "exercise" and it has good nose, great drive and intelligence. More of a terrier temperament than spaniel from what I have seen. As an added bonus in the current climate he just looks like a non-descript little black mongrel totally disguising his sporting pedigree. 

902.JPEG

753.JPEG

685.JPEG

• Like 12

Going off topic there was a time I would have loved to put that terrierxspringer over a grew. He has most of the qualities of a working terrier with the added bonus of a little extra height from the spaniel. A viable alternative to a Bedlington I think, even though the terrier sire does have a very diluted % of Beddy in him and they have always been a little rangy, but not too big.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Aled said:

Interesting thread, out of interest, anybody ever worked a Border Terrier X Springer Spaniel? 

Never heard of anyone having this cross even though Russell springers and other terrier cross spaniel's make cracking bushing dogs one of the best one's i saw was off a well known coursing man Micky Drew though the day i was out with it it managed to get to ground in a dug out rabbit warren and if i was hunting this cross were they were billy setts i would be a bit careful.

• Like 1