Produce your own.........

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Any luck with the bee situation, mate, or is it a bit late in the year for that, given we're halfway through November?

Went to see the chap in the village and he said this time of year they all dormant so can't disturb hive. My name is down for a course early in new year which should line up well for starting in the spring.🤞

• Like 6

Moved the 3 chicks into the bigger brooder. These are 5weeks now so could go out from next week but I'm guna keep them inside a little longer with it being winter, maybe till 8 or 9 week, see how they do for size/space! These were the last chicks of 2023.

If I have a Cockell out the three then my other Cockerell may become my first table bird so I can mix blood line. Probably base it on how the birds turns out.

Next part of this plan when the girls start laying is to have 2 pens, one for layers and a seperate one for growers for table and refreshing my laying hens when needed. That way can ensure they are on the right feed for laying/growing. Hoping to have the production line up and running and start incubating again in the spring.

20231119_170737.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, ryaldinhio said:

Moved the 3 chicks into the bigger brooder. These are 5weeks now so could go out from next week but I'm guna keep them inside a little longer with it being winter, maybe till 8 or 9 week, see how they do for size/space! These were the last chicks of 2023.

If I have a Cockell out the three then my other Cockerell may become my first table bird so I can mix blood line. Probably base it on how the birds turns out.

Next part of this plan when the girls start laying is to have 2 pens, one for layers and a seperate one for growers for table and refreshing my laying hens when needed. That way can ensure they are on the right feed for laying/growing. Hoping to have the production line up and running and start incubating again in the spring.

20231119_170737.jpg

What did you pay for your turkeys, day olds ?

2 hours ago, waltjnr said:

Mate is , about to start killing on a few farms ,£80 a bird to the customer, was wondering the money  in it 

I paid £50 for 6 that were about 5days old. That is the bronze/blacks. I paid 30 for 6 hatching eggs off ebay and that is the 2 red bourbons, 4 didn't hatch.

Bag of growers about 12.50 and if it was just turkeys at this size would do 2 week. I reckon you would do 150 in feed max. So couple hundred quid max and you would have half a dozen big turkeys.

Free range/grass fed turkeys are owt up to 175 a bird!🤯

I've sold 4 probs ask 30quid a pop just to contribute to the feed cost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Part of what I'm trying to do includes going back to what I call 'old school trade' so instead of swapping money I'm swapping time/skills/produce.

So far I've agreed to do a little bit of electrical work, probably equate to half a day's work. The trade for this was access to a small but well established orchard. Only about 10-12 trees but a mix of apples, pears and plums. All big trees and tons of fruit. Wi dfall will go to pigs and picked fruit will be for eating/jams/chutneys etc. Had a few visits already and had loads for pigs. They also gave me a box of about 30jars for the jam/chutney making. Other than picking a few apples for their own use and few for daughter when she visits no one else gets in there. They have even said windfall they will bag up for me every couple days for me to just turn up and collect! I'm pleased with that trade.

I've swapped half of one of the pigs once culled for a full lamb, butchered. I'm not sure if this works in my favour or the others but this gives me good mixture of meat for 2024. Also they have the land to graze the lambs so works for both parties. Potential of same swap in future. I'm happy with that trade too.

Starting to get some momentum. 2024 will be the make or break year as to whether I can sustain it.🤞

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Part of what I'm trying to do includes going back to what I call 'old school trade' so instead of swapping money I'm swapping time/skills/produce.

So far I've agreed to do a little bit of electrical work, probably equate to half a day's work. The trade for this was access to a small but well established orchard. Only about 10-12 trees but a mix of apples, pears and plums. All big trees and tons of fruit. Wi dfall will go to pigs and picked fruit will be for eating/jams/chutneys etc. Had a few visits already and had loads for pigs. They also gave me a box of about 30jars for the jam/chutney making. Other than picking a few apples for their own use and few for daughter when she visits no one else gets in there. They have even said windfall they will bag up for me every couple days for me to just turn up and collect! I'm pleased with that trade.

I've swapped half of one of the pigs once culled for a full lamb, butchered. I'm not sure if this works in my favour or the others but this gives me good mixture of meat for 2024. Also they have the land to graze the lambs so works for both parties. Potential of same swap in future. I'm happy with that trade too.

Starting to get some momentum. 2024 will be the make or break year as to whether I can sustain it.🤞

Really hope it works out for you

• Thanks 1