Bad toe

Is this a knocked up toe and can the vet put it right? 
He badly cut inside his pad in glass and took a month or so to heal properly, this toes been like this since same foot. He shows no pain when I touch or Squeaze it at all  and no signs of pain or change in how he runs or limping at all and it’s only obvious  because the nail sticks out when he’s stood, knuckle seems a bit lower and when he sits it’s very obvious. Booked in the vets end of the week. Never seen this before myself. 930CD810-DEBD-4480-8672-C573E66054DE.jpeg.a86939a0a8e618fb6736016ee7790c67.jpeg

145BDB4D-1CA3-4C30-A5A0-2579630C03B0.jpeg

BD06F4E0-DBA6-467F-B644-6455B99B6DAF.jpeg

BAC20751-AABB-403E-99A2-DEEF4C904193.jpeg

Edited by Samrog

The cut on the pad has severed the ligament in that toe, can’t do anything for it now they need stitches straight away if you're going to go down that road but I’ve seen a few dogs with that exact injury run the same as they did before and it’s never bothered them. Don’t waste your time at the vets nothing can be done for it just run the dog as normal he won’t even notice it. Keep the nail short on that toe though.

Edited by Deerhunter1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As above, but I'd chop the nail off as close to the skin as you can. It will bleed, but keep firm pressure on it for a few minutes and it will be fine. Just wash with salt water until it is healed, and thereafter keep the claw as short as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

The cut on the pad has severed the ligament in that toe, can’t do anything for it now they need stitches straight away if you're going to go down that road but I’ve seen a few dogs with that exact injury run the same as they did before and it’s never bothered them. Don’t waste your time at the vets nothing can be done for it just run the dog as normal he won’t even notice it. Keep the nail short on that toe though.

What I was thinking, but I never seen it before

15 minutes ago, skycat said:

As above, but I'd chop the nail off as close to the skin as you can. It will bleed, but keep firm pressure on it for a few minutes and it will be fine. Just wash with salt water until it is healed, and thereafter keep the claw as short as possible. 

If it bleeds dip the nail in Potassium pomegranate (available at the chemist for pennies) This will clot the bleed in seconds.  

As above dropped toe due to the tendon that holds it in place being cut. No cure but I've run dogs for a number of winters with a dropped toe without to much of an issue.  Slightly more injury prone, keep nail short but that will be a ongoing job as it won't wear diwn as well as the other so keep an eye to ensure a sensible length. 

• Thanks 1
On 28/06/2023 at 19:15, paulus said:

If it bleeds dip the nail in Potassium pomegranate (available at the chemist for pennies) This will clot the bleed in seconds.  

Would you use that to on any cut to stop bleeding the powder itself? 

I stick a table spoon in a bucket and fill with water and stand the feet in and give a scrub with a tooth brush round the nail beds 

mines a f****r with his feet or was anyway I won’t be running him stubble time that’s for sure 

At least in humans, ligament tears don't particularly hurt so probably explains dogs lack of response and with poor blood supply they don't heal well either. For serious ligament and tendon injuries that need surgery there's a short window of time to fix them and I am not confident about success. Only ever had one like that and vet amputated her toe. Good news is there was no obvious impact on running

21 hours ago, saluki bouy said:

Would you use that to on any cut to stop bleeding the powder itself? 

I stick a table spoon in a bucket and fill with water and stand the feet in and give a scrub with a tooth brush round the nail beds 

mines a f****r with his feet or was anyway I won’t be running him stubble time that’s for sure 

if used in the crystal form it clots most bleeds, nails, ears and tails, By Jesus do not get it wet as it stains everything Lol