New Impact .177 sub 12

No not mine, I don't have the cash and if I had, I would not buy an sub 12 Impact, fantastic fac but to me a waste of money in sub 12 but my close buddy had made his mind up to have one. He is in Spain at the moment but asked me to set it up so after a good clean and fit the Airmax 30 compact scope.  His choice of pellet was AA Fields as they are what he uses in his other guns but at 25mt in the rfd range the grouping was shit so digging out some other pellets including JSB Exact, JSB Heavy and AA Express all of which produced better groups than the AA Fields BUT not groups that I would be happy with if I am being totally honest, in fact I set up zero on a new green stocked HW100 a couple of weeks ago at 25mt which was pellet on pellet with AA Fields and my pal's HW110 compact which again was spot on so at nearly two grand and not producing the same groups as guns costing half as much (well around half price) doesn't impress me one little bit.

My old fac Impact was a tack driver from the outset so no issues with that, I do wonder if the barrel will improve in time with lots of lead up the spout but I don't really know if a Smooth Twist barrel needs leading up. I should also say that the AA Fields were put through a Skan chrono in the rfd which produced 11.3fpe so ideal power level I think.

My pal is back on Sunday so I am going to let him decide what to do next but I am told that the Heavy's come into their own at longer distances although I think it would be worth testing JSB RS, two opposites I know but somrthing that needs to be looked at or it is sent back to have the grouping addressed.  I know I am fussy, but if I cannot produce a tiny one hole group, it is not good enough for me to the point that my Snowpeak P35 garden gun at 25mt is a little better using JSB RS, hmmmmm

Phil

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll be interested to hear what you both think of it mate - not many people like them. I like the gas ram lightnings

I agree with you Jimmy, I would never buy a sub 12 version, what is the point of all that adjustment for sub 12, it is a gun designed for full power not 12fpe. Phil

Had more or less the same trouble with my 177 impact  Put every pellet going in her to have the same results  The heavys are Nearther good at longer distances as short distances  Mind b

Posted Images

19 hours ago, philpot said:

No not mine, I don't have the cash and if I had, I would not buy an sub 12 Impact, fantastic fac but to me a waste of money in sub 12 but my close buddy had made his mind up to have one. He is in Spain at the moment but asked me to set it up so after a good clean and fit the Airmax 30 compact scope.  His choice of pellet was AA Fields as they are what he uses in his other guns but at 25mt in the rfd range the grouping was shit so digging out some other pellets including JSB Exact, JSB Heavy and AA Express all of which produced better groups than the AA Fields BUT not groups that I would be happy with if I am being totally honest, in fact I set up zero on a new green stocked HW100 a couple of weeks ago at 25mt which was pellet on pellet with AA Fields and my pal's HW110 compact which again was spot on so at nearly two grand and not producing the same groups as guns costing half as much (well around half price) doesn't impress me one little bit.

My old fac Impact was a tack driver from the outset so no issues with that, I do wonder if the barrel will improve in time with lots of lead up the spout but I don't really know if a Smooth Twist barrel needs leading up. I should also say that the AA Fields were put through a Skan chrono in the rfd which produced 11.3fpe so ideal power level I think.

My pal is back on Sunday so I am going to let him decide what to do next but I am told that the Heavy's come into their own at longer distances although I think it would be worth testing JSB RS, two opposites I know but somrthing that needs to be looked at or it is sent back to have the grouping addressed.  I know I am fussy, but if I cannot produce a tiny one hole group, it is not good enough for me to the point that my Snowpeak P35 garden gun at 25mt is a little better using JSB RS, hmmmmm

Phil

Had more or less the same trouble with my 177 impact 

Put every pellet going in her to have the same results 

The heavys are Nearther good at longer distances as short distances 

Mind bloody good in all my other rifles 

I just think the impact in 177 is no good in sud 12 

Or fac 

Mind u could try slugs with the smooth twist liner they may just work 

As they do in my fx verminator 177 

Phil 

Atvbjimmy ???

• Like 2

Well the gun is now back with Sportsman to sort the issues including an air leak somewhere, not impressed and it was not mine but my buddy who the gun belonged to is so pissed off, he waited 6 weeks to get it then sending it back doubles the pain. Fingers crossed they will sort it.

On 18/06/2023 at 18:30, philpot said:

My .25 fac was as good as gold as well.

Can't argue with that Phil 

I thought some thing was up with it at urs until I realised all the Pellets were going in the same hole lol

Yours si, s and pavs are the best ones iv shot in fact I fell for pavs 

What a rifle it was 

Still don't like them in sub 12 mind 

Phil 

Atvbjimmy ???

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Can't argue with that Phil 

I thought some thing was up with it at urs until I realised all the Pellets were going in the same hole lol

Yours si, s and pavs are the best ones iv shot in fact I fell for pavs 

What a rifle it was 

Still don't like them in sub 12 mind 

Phil 

Atvbjimmy ???

I agree with you Jimmy, I would never buy a sub 12 version, what is the point of all that adjustment for sub 12, it is a gun designed for full power not 12fpe.

Phil

• Like 3

Went to the rfd with my pal as the gun arrived back from Sportsman Gun Centre with all the issues now sorted.............................NOT.

First job to test groups with different pellets at 25mt, all rather like a shotgun pattern with the exception of JSB Exact Heavy which were better but not good more like just about passable, 20mm group !!!!.    I took my Snowpeak .22 to rezero and was getting tight cloverleaf groups and on a gun that cost me about £450 so compare the results to a gun costing £1850 and needless to say I rezeroed my Wildcat fac with pellets again, single hole groups which made my pal even more pissed off, I do feel for him.

Check chrono readings as they state it is now 11.5fpe.................NOT,  tested AA Fields and JSB Heavy, both around 9.6fpe.  I put my Wildcat through the Skan chrono, 915 fps / 34(ish) fpe so the Skan unit seemed okay.

My pal is steaming, so now it is going back to that shower of shit yet again to sort, if it was me, I would tell them it was not fit for purpose and get my money back but had it been me in the first place I would be happy to settle for HW110 or 100 with the green stock.

To pay out all this money and have to put up with a crap delivery, then back with them for 3 weeks now back again for how long ???? not good enough. 

Phil

The saga continues, the Impact returned to the rfd today with my pal and myself waiting.  First job to test through the Skan chrono, first couple of shots reading 9.6fpe but then went up to 11.45fpe average for another 10 shots, all looking good.

Tested Exact 8.44 then Heavy at 10.34 but both produced poor groups, now this was a surprise to say the least as Sportsman Gun Centre had send back three targets shot at 25yds as as tight as can be, about the size of my little finger nail. Utter bollocks, what gun they used is unknown but it was not my pal's gun.

between the two of us we shot approx 70 shots using both of the above pellets, some groups started to look acceptable but quickly spread to shotgun pattern and the sound of the gun was changing drastically. I popped back into the main shop and took an FX Maverick also in .177 back into the 25mt range to test with both bellet types, perfect tiny groups and a sharp crack as the pellet hit the target / steel backdrop.  I got the rfd to come into the range and see / hear the difference between the two guns.  I could also see the flightpath of the pellet from the Impact looping like mad.

Back to the Skan chrono, 4.56fpe..................................... not fit for purpose.

Phone call to Sportsman to say this gun needs to be returned and would not be accepted by my pal again and a new gun was required, to be honest he would have happily have swapped for a Maverick but as a left hooker, the mag was sticking in his face.  There are no Impacts in .177 in the uk for another few weeks and all but two of the 26 guns coming are preordered plus one for my pal.

On a positive note............................................. there isn't one for my pal as he now has to wait again which should take the waiting period up to a minimum of 11 weeks however for me, I was very pleased to try the Maverick and feel that when I can afford it, a .25 fac version would suit me well.

The gun is being returned to the Sportsman Gun Centre again for the third time, anyone would think it was a frigging Daystate.

Phil

Sportsman gun centre? Used to be Litts in Newport?....Ran by a bunch of pricks...if so,I would ask for my money back,and spend it else where... their after sales leave alot to be desired ?

Im mates with a chap who used to repair all of their air guns and firearms( when litts went pop,he then started repairing for sportsman,but f****d the jokers off after a short while)?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Sportsman gun centre? Used to be Litts in Newport?....Ran by a bunch of pricks...if so,I would ask for my money back,and spend it else where... their after sales leave alot to be desired ?

Im mates with a chap who used to repair all of their air guns and firearms( when litts went pop,he then started repairing for sportsman,but f****d the jokers off after a short while)?

Ones at clay pigeon inbetween Dorchester and Yeovil not much better ?

The Newport branch,has some of the rudest shop assistants ive ever met ...you would literally want to grab the pricks by the throat and bite their f***ing noses off? I will never use them so long as i got a hole in my arse?

• Like 1

As fans of FX Guns there is no alternative to Sportsman, ASI the previous importer were excellent in their after sales service but this lot can simply afford to give big orders to manufacturers like FX, CZ, ATA, Pard and others more is the pity.......

Phil