APBT x wheaten

There’s a guy here in the states using a wheaten as a catchdog. Bigger the better for a catchdog up to a point. Although smaller catchdogs can work as the bay dogs usually pile on once the catchdog latches on. 

• Like 1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a new pup join the ranks . Been here 2 weeks now and settling in nicely. Was a little noisy in the kennel for the first week but now as quiet as a mouse . 4 month old APBT x wheaten bred by my fri

Exactly not about the terrier about working the strong dogs.  This is my pups grandsire on a trip to Spain last year hunting boar in the Basque region. He performed very well but alas being what he

Pups coming along well . Fitted in well with the other dogs and responding well to her training . Just been concentrating on livestock training and environmental exposure. Not got any complaints about

Posted Images

6 hours ago, hoosier said:

There’s a guy here in the states using a wheaten as a catchdog. Bigger the better for a catchdog up to a point. Although smaller catchdogs can work as the bay dogs usually pile on once the catchdog latches on. 

Yes that’s right . His dogs sire is my pups grandsire. 
my friend who bred mine sent the one to the states a couple of years back. 

• Like 1
On 22/04/2023 at 01:36, Aussie Whip said:

Nice dog and game but too small for pigs by themselves. I've seen a 100kg boar drag five pig dogs including a pit down a hill. You might catch smaller pigs but a big boar will just run the dog into a tree and smash him eventually.

That’s a fair point mate. In your experience what size would the ideal catch dog be? Too heavy and not got the wind and too light get smashed as you say 

Pups coming along well . Fitted in well with the other dogs and responding well to her training . Just been concentrating on livestock training and environmental exposure. Not got any complaints about her so far , finding her much the same as any other dog I’ve had . Probably change as she matures but a very easy keeper so far 

F3B3FDC6-BDBE-409C-8BA3-006FAFB6EF47.jpeg

• Like 14
34 minutes ago, Hannibal3 said:

Pups coming along well . Fitted in well with the other dogs and responding well to her training . Just been concentrating on livestock training and environmental exposure. Not got any complaints about her so far , finding her much the same as any other dog I’ve had . Probably change as she matures but a very easy keeper so far 

F3B3FDC6-BDBE-409C-8BA3-006FAFB6EF47.jpeg

Did you say that was a wheaten pit cross ?? Why would anyone do that  ❌ baffles me.. all the best with her anyhow 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, WEDGEY said:

Did you say that was a wheaten pit cross ?? Why would anyone do that  ❌ baffles me.. all the best with her anyhow 

Could you expand on your thoughts on the matter,just out of interest,what do you find baffling and why,...could make very interesting reading

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Could you expand on your thoughts on the matter,just out of interest,what do you find baffling and why,...could make very interesting reading

ooooh am dying to jump in here but will be a gent and leave it to the chap its directed at ?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

ooooh am dying to jump in here but will be a gent and leave it to the chap its directed at ?

gnasher over to you im not getting into it with jigsaw he knows I'm right 

10 minutes ago, WEDGEY said:

gnasher over to you im not getting into it with jigsaw he knows I'm right 

In fairness mine are probably for very different reasons and you lads are far more dedicated " hunters " if you like than i ever will be so not for me to say whats right and wrong really.....im just a purist of the apbt as a breed and cannot see anything another dog breed could possibly add in a situation of violence that wont compromise the qualities the breed is known for.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Hannibal3 said:

That’s a fair point mate. In your experience what size would the ideal catch dog be? Too heavy and not got the wind and too light get smashed as you say 

Yeah I wasn't taking anything away from your bitch, she's a beautiful terrier and I'd like a dog like her. My mrs used to catch pigs for export as a job. She used big dogs, mastiff/dane/English bull crosses mainly and they caught plenty. The trend now is for the lighter built Bullarabs, still big but leaner, usually a mix of English bull, pointer and greyhound usually around 35 to 40kg. Also English bull/Oz staghounds are popular. You can use anything on pigs, I used to have to watch the whippets when I was rabbiting and pigs about but the small dogs get knocked around and when you are catching pigs every day you can't afford the dogs to be out of action.

2 hours ago, jigsaw said:

It’s a pointless cross. Two breeds bred together solely to line the owners pockets. This is the same fella who bred his male wheaten to a canary mastiff cross. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Setenta said:

It’s a pointless cross. Two breeds bred together solely to line the owners pockets. This is the same fella who bred his male wheaten to a canary mastiff cross. 

Do you know the fella who bred them mate ? If you did I’m quite sure you wouldn’t say it was about money. 
ive had 4 dogs from him now over the past few years and no money has ever changed hands . He had 9 pups from this litter and as far as I’m aware he gifted 6 out and sold 3 so I’m not sure how he is lining his pockets. If he was just churning out pups for money I don’t think he would be messing about with wheatens . They are hardly a money spinner, he would be breeding xl bullies or Merle things 

• Like 1