Whippets and frustration yips

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Non ped bitch pup 9 month

Try Work him on his own ,dogs can act hella crackish when there in competition wi another dog ,get over hyped up and that ,worth a go

A pair of Aussie whippets I was out with some years ago; Mally's Vixen, the best working pedigree whippet I've seen in the UK; Cheers.  

Posted Images

AS A YOUNG LAD MY FIRST DOG WAS A LITTLE WHIPPET CROSS  THE LAND WE WORKED THE DOGS  SHE DONE EVERYTHINK FOR A LITTLE MOOCHING DOG NEVER LAMPED HER  45 YEARS LATER I AM DOWN TO MY LAST LURCHER WHO IS 15 YEAR OLD AND f****d LIKE ME BUT ALWAYS SAID WHEN SHE HAS GONE ILE FINISH OFF WITH AWHIPPET ALWAYS HAD A SOFT SPOT FOR THE LITTLE DOGS

• Like 4
1 hour ago, green lurchers said:

Me pal was up hull other month bolting to dogs it was a struggle as you say lol 

20319F18-CAD2-4FBC-BFAF-ECD13BB83212.jpeg

ferrets nets open land once bolted fish in a barrel lol 

see he never took whippets lol

• Haha 1
On 14/04/2023 at 16:39, comanche said:

It's easy and a common mistake  to equate yipping in dogs to frustration when it is actually often  a call for attention.

This vocal behaviour in running dogs is frowned upon but   would be considered a good trait in some other working breeds . It let's the handler know where the game is holed up  ,or at bay ,or where it is heading during an unseen chase. 

It also serves to call other dogs to its  aid or to share the hunt. And l see you work two dogs together......

So in the case of your holed up rabbits he probably really  is calling you to bring the ferrets over!

When he marks, sit with him while the ferret works, calm him when he squeaks, let him go when the bunny bolts. 

He might just start to realise that a quiet mark gets results.

Think positively too. If he seems to be calling to you it means he considers you a useful ally.  

Good luck

Positive thinking, appreciate that ?

16 hours ago, mC HULL said:

ferrets nets open land once bolted fish in a barrel lol 

see he never took whippets lol

I've told you catching day time bunny without being bolted by ferrets or snaffled on ruff ground ,brambles etc are harder than taking hare,

Round my way you walk all day and you won't be taking a bunny out in the open but they hares a plenty and I've had busher types take them 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I've told you catching day time bunny without being bolted by ferrets or snaffled on ruff ground ,brambles etc are harder than taking hare,

Round my way you walk all day and you won't be taking a bunny out in the open but they hares a plenty and I've had busher types take them 

Lucky to see a rabbit here but any idiot should know a daytime bunny going for home is a hard target compared to one running from home 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

i aren’t been funny mate but a dog can’t just gear up and take a bunny without a bend is missing about 4 gears ffs lol