Whippets and frustration yips

On 09/04/2023 at 14:03, bird said:

haha  , right with most sighthounds and there xs, its getting them winners on all there quarry , ok might be different up a hares  backside , but with coursing dogs with good breeding they dont panic  they sit back and wait there chance. with rabbits it fast/ quick, so got to put the dog close to berry, so it on the rabbit in seconds, not running  like the waterloo cup thing lol , ok if the dog caught fair few and couple season on it collar . ive been very lucky with my last 2 lurchers both been 1xs , both took rabbits day/ night quite easy, bryn was more just rabbits but Buck  most things, and in woods day/night  god knows how caught stuff at night in there but he did, maybe there got better night time sight than us. now i did have little non ped racing whippet bitch25 years ago , good at  the track, good on rabbits day/night , hung on to few hares as well lol , but same if the rabbits no chance, get the dog on quick.

lol rabbits fast  and quick lol 

if a dog can’t kill a bunny there’s something wrong 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Non ped bitch pup 9 month

Try Work him on his own ,dogs can act hella crackish when there in competition wi another dog ,get over hyped up and that ,worth a go

A pair of Aussie whippets I was out with some years ago; Mally's Vixen, the best working pedigree whippet I've seen in the UK; Cheers.  

Posted Images

7 hours ago, mC HULL said:

lol rabbits fast  and quick lol 

if a dog can’t kill a bunny there’s something wrong 

They are fast and quick between warrens, maybe 50 or 100m not 1 or 2km's of slugging, lol.

7 hours ago, mC HULL said:

i don’t run rabbits much daytime don’t ferret. or bush really 

If you did you'd want something that can catch quickly, lol. Old saying, rabbits can make a hare dog look clumsy and useless.?

4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

They are fast and quick between warrens, maybe 50 or 100m not 1 or 2km's of slugging, lol.

If you did you'd want something that can catch quickly, lol. Old saying, rabbits can make a hare dog look clumsy and useless.?

mate a hare has about 15 mph on a rabbit lol 

me dogs rabbits easily most don’t get a bend lol 

mug a are dogs been made to look clumsy and useless by a rabbit it ain’t a hare dog ffs lol 

33 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

mug a are dogs been made to look clumsy and useless by a rabbit it ain’t a hare dog ffs lol 

The coursing dogs might catch a rabbit if it's on holidays lol but not many rabbits venture too far from a warren or cover. This is why the whippet is the ultimate purebred dog to hunt them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

The coursing dogs might catch a rabbit if it's on holidays lol but not many rabbits venture too far from a warren or cover. This is why the whippet is the ultimate purebred dog to hunt them.

You don't get the fun off trying 2 catch them up tho

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

you’ve been listening to the shite lads put  on here ffs ? lol

Edited by mC HULL
5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

and how many years running british coursing breds ? ? 

Obviously none but I've had greyhounds and their crosses, staghounds and they can all catch rabbits but whippets and whippet lurchers are quicker off the mark, turn better and are just one step ahead of the bigger dogs which is what you want for ferreting and hunting around cover which is where the rabbits are. I'd only want a coursing dog if I was targeting hares only, the staghounds can handle anything bigger in the bush here including pigs and deer.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Obviously none but I've had greyhounds and their crosses, staghounds and they can all catch rabbits but whippets and whippet lurchers are quicker off the mark, turn better and are just one step ahead of the bigger dogs which is what you want for ferreting and hunting around cover which is where the rabbits are. I'd only want a coursing dog if I was targeting hares only, the staghounds can handle anything bigger in the bush here including pigs and deer.

you think a whippet is faster off the mark then a greyhound ? 

a whippet make ok rabbit dogs but i’d say a grew make a much better one if just rabbits 

and a descent coursing bred for lamping bunny’s not many pure whippets  would keep up  unless on real good going arable farmland a good coursing bred will beat a whippet on bunny’s run all night and course a few hares at first light mate 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you think a whippet is faster off the mark then a greyhound ? 

a whippet make ok rabbit dogs but i’d say a grew make a much better one if just rabbits 

and a descent coursing bred for lamping bunny’s not many pure whippets  would keep up  unless on real good going arable farmland a good coursing bred will beat a whippet on bunny’s run all night and course a few hares at first light mate 

Tek u till first light 2 get him back ,I'm told 

• Haha 4