Gassing or poison

Having trouble on golf course it's public places people walk the dogs on it an keep pulling traps out never can find them or loads of abuse for trapping moles , is there a good gas or poison to use and do thay do the job of killing moles off ?

only gas mate....but unless your a pesty you wont be able to buy it....

and whilst aluminium phosphide is an extremely  deadly gas to anything that breaths it in...including us....im not convinced its that good on moles.... of course if they breath it in it will kill them....i just think the tight and often collapsed tunnels of a mole run make it ineffective     

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, TOMO said:

and whilst aluminium phosphide is an extremely  deadly gas to anything that breaths it in...including us....im not convinced its that good on moles.... of course if they breath it in it will kill them....i just think the tight and often collapsed tunnels of a mole run make it ineffective     

It's full of dog walker so probably not the best thing to use , thanks for reply pal?

1 hour ago, TOMO said:

I read somewhere that moles only need a blood gas mixture of 5% oxygen, I agree that fox toxin or whatever gas used would be near useless in mole tunnels due to the small size and lack of air flow, In the past Worms laced with Strychnine where used, Then came the verminator using a mix of propane and air, a f***ing scary Mary bit of kit and the rules they placed on the use of it killed it as a viable pest control solution.  

5 hours ago, tank34 said:

Having trouble on golf course it's public places people walk the dogs on it an keep pulling traps out never can find them or loads of abuse for trapping moles , is there a good gas or poison to use and do thay do the job of killing moles off ?

If you’ve got public spaces like Recs, village green, sports fields and worst of all carrying a spade!! cemeteries, you need to get there just before dawn or in dark. Use a trap that doesn’t show when set or fired - you’ve got Trapline, Putange and nomol to use.  Cover the trap site with hill soil to look like a molehill and mark it with something natural - twigs, twisted grass, patted soil a few feet away either side from the trap. I’ve also made false set sites by digging a turf and placing it beside the hole so that they are drawn to interfere and find no trap.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, talpa said:

If you’ve got public spaces like Recs, village green, sports fields and worst of all carrying a spade!! cemeteries, you need to get there just before dawn or in dark. Use a trap that doesn’t show when set or fired - you’ve got Trapline, Putange and nomol to use.  Cover the trap site with hill soil to look like a molehill and mark it with something natural - twigs, twisted grass, patted soil a few feet away either side from the trap. I’ve also made false set sites by digging a turf and placing it beside the hole so that they are drawn to interfere and find no trap.

Good advice .

It's  where fully subterranean traps prove their worth .

Strychnine worked very well and was dirt cheap but is dodgy stuff . It has been off limits for a long time ,since 2006 if my memory serves .

The efficency of gassing is affected by many variables and can work out expensive for equally variable results .

It also requires a two man team , pretty thorough risk assessments and safety  gear and the public would need to be excluded for long periods during and after application . Which could lead to even more aggravation.

Covert trapping using a guerilla approach  ,as Talpa says,  is probably the best route.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, talpa said:

I use purtangs cut out traps in back fill put sod back in , think will have todo in dark as place is riddled in mole I clear it two three week later green keeper wants me back it's sounded by moor land moles just keep coming ?

• Like 1

Best advice is the trapping advice above. Use a small underground trap and the other tips , set early morning.

Personally I've never had traps taken by golfers , I trap quite openly on a number of courses. Like you say it's probably the walkers.

With regards to phostoxin. I used it for years with some degree of success. I was around it from a child, I remember my dad asking if I could smell pear drops after doing some moles ?. To us it was always the safe option after the world of cymag and strychnine (which I was kept well away from and told the horror stories). I spent years on and around farms with a tube of phostoxin in the front of the quad or land rover.  I developed my own little tips and had reasonable success with the only issues I saw being cost at the time leading me to use traps and sell the farmers  tubes of gas pellets to pest controller mates. We then went on to do some big rabbit jobs with phostoxin, again developing our own systems, of which health and safety didn't seem to be a concern at the time. Eventually I convinced all the customers, from airfields to holiday parks to eventually let us switch to ferreting simply because it was more fun and we convinced them it could be just as effective.

• Like 3

Gassing is a nightmare these days, and expensive!  But without doubt effective in my experience!!!!!

Controls on the stuff are daft to the point it is very difficult to use.

Then there is the details of specific location, weather/damp conditions, potential public access and of course the PPE and licence you need.

For all but the hardened few, and very limited locations, try other methods!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Don't know if this actually works, as I have never tried it myself, but some swear that juicy fruit chewing gum kills moles. Some say chew it first, some say just put half a stick in each run you find. The moles eat it, can't digest it and so die.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, PLEDGEY said:

Don't know if this actually works, as I have never tried it myself, but some swear that juicy fruit chewing gum kills moles. Some say chew it first, some say just put half a stick in each run you find. The moles eat it, can't digest it and so die.

Did black neck tell you that one...lol

On 21/04/2023 at 20:45, PLEDGEY said:

Let me know how you get on with that!  :hmm: :good: