HMR bunnies

On 15/02/2023 at 21:53, foxdropper said:

The hornet drops off at 200m  mate .At least the one I used did .You don’t really want to be allowing hold over on a fox at range ,much better to trust the kit and shot at it with the .222 or the .223 

Depends where it's zer'o'ed. 17 hornet has a very similar curve to .223:

From Shooting UK Magazinbe's review of the .17 Hornet:

501_7C0000008ec_7C03d4_17_Hornet_traject

On 15/02/2023 at 22:48, Stavross said:

I never said it wasn’t 

50ft/lbs of energy at 200 yards is not a lot for an animal the size of a fox, I wouldn’t think many would drop on the spot, I would of thought even a light .223 would still be doing over 700ft/lbs at that distance, I’d be more than confident in that, to me that makes the .223 a better option than a hornet

I agree 50ft lbs of energy is low. That's not what I'm recommending, but what is supposedly the minimum amount of energy required for a clean kill for fox at any distance (obviously 50ft lbs is at the target not the muzzle). There are some tables somewhere, I forget where on the internet, that state the minimum amount of recommended energy for a clean kill for a variety of animals. The .17 hornet still has 300ft ft lbs at 200yds. More than enough.

I do agree though for fox at 200yds+ hornet would not be my 1st choice. I'm a great believer in overkill to allow better margins for mis-aimed / deviated shots and anyone who's followed my views on here for a long time knows, I'm a great fan of .204 Ruger and .22-250 for fox for that very reason. Dead is dead, but extra dead gives more margin. There is of course a line where overpentration rears it's ugly head but with .22's, we're not really in that territory.

• Like 2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had another look out yesterday night with the HMR , really loving shooting it at present. Not the best night , weather was very still , no wind at all and temperature dropped to -1 making the gro

You won’t go wrong with CZ 457 or tikka T1X

Just as well use the .22 subs at 50 mate surely .Quieter ,cheaper and same result .Mate has his 17 zeroed at 100 and pushes that out to 150 ,seen it .

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, moonlighter said:

What make HMR are you lads using or recommending.. I’ve had a CZ American but it’s worn out now and I fancy a change.. I like the look of the browning T bolt, especially the laminate with S/S barrel. 

Tikka t1x mate scaled down version of T3 and it's quite obvious how good they are.

You can get all the after market bits aswell as inletting as same as t3

• Like 2

Sako Quad .22wmr and .17hmr and very very little use but I have decided to start making better use of hmr. I have a Tikka T1x .22lr but in all honesty I could sell that as my fac air rifle will do virtually everything I use the .22lr for with the advantage of taking crows and pigeon from the farm barn roof.

Phil

• Like 1
On 04/03/2023 at 19:18, moonlighter said:

What make HMR are you lads using or recommending.. I’ve had a CZ American but it’s worn out now and I fancy a change.. I like the look of the browning T bolt, especially the laminate with S/S barrel. 

You won’t go wrong with CZ 457 or tikka T1X

• Like 4