Dawn chorus

2 hours ago, Arry said:

I've noticed the Black Birds have paired up.

Cheers Arry

Just the other day I spotted  the first female on the garden here in the East Mids mate since probably late August/ early September. Just the odd few males that have stuck through the winter here. Looking forward to watching the blackbirds Robins  and Dunnoks hatching and rearing some chick's on the garden.

Even my Mrs has taken to it over the last few years!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Living on the boat I notice little changes that I never when I lived in a house and this week it’s the return of the dawn chorus, only one or two at the start of the week but each day getting a bit mo

I wouldn't know mate. I don't get up until I hear the kids have fcked off to school ?

We live in a valley with a nature reserve on one side. It's a very diverse landscape with scrub, hedges, woodland, pasture and plenty of water. I get through over 160kg of bird food  per year. Wh

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Just the other day I spotted  the first female on the garden here in the East Mids mate since probably late August/ early September. Just the odd few males that have stuck through the winter here. Looking forward to watching the blackbirds Robins  and Dunnoks hatching and rearing some chick's on the garden.

Even my Mrs has taken to it over the last few years!! 

I have quite a few Blackbird regulars that turn up every day I put raisins out for them. If I forget or it's wet I I haven't been out one male get on the windowsill and looks in it's quite funny. 

Cheers Arry

• Haha 1

Just watching a flock of mixed tits on our fat balls as I type .Blue ,great ,coal and a long tail .Havnt seen a finch in the garden all winter .Starlings ,blackbirds ,tits and a pair of robins ,grey wagtails around the pond and a wren in the rushes .Sometimes get a black cap and dunnock .

Wish Id kept the aviary tbh with all the finches and a pair of jays .

• Like 4
On 12/01/2023 at 19:07, Greyman said:

Get one of those callers mate, they will come in pretty close ?

Called plenty of owls just with a mouth squeak mate .Unnerving when they want to land on you talons outstretched as happened few weeks ago .

Myself and son were stalking last summer in a meadow with a barn owl quartering the grass .We we’re in the middle of the field and it came to within a few metres broad daylight .We saw it catch a vole or something and make straight back to a box the farmer has up .It usually has jackdaws so the owl did well that year .I might put a trail cam on it this year to watch them if they try again .

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Called plenty of owls just with a mouth squeak mate .Unnerving when they want to land on you talons outstretched as happened few weeks ago .

Myself and son were stalking last summer in a meadow with a barn owl quartering the grass .We we’re in the middle of the field and it came to within a few metres broad daylight .We saw it catch a vole or something and make straight back to a box the farmer has up .It usually has jackdaws so the owl did well that year .I might put a trail cam on it this year to watch them if they try again .

I like calling the barn owls in mate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Just watching a flock of mixed tits on our fat balls as I type .Blue ,great ,coal and a long tail .Havnt seen a finch in the garden all winter .Starlings ,blackbirds ,tits and a pair of robins ,grey wagtails around the pond and a wren in the rushes .Sometimes get a black cap and dunnock .

Wish Id kept the aviary tbh with all the finches and a pair of jays .

Lovely mix of birds that mate. I had totally forgotten about this until just now.. but I drempt last night we had a White tailed sea Eagle fly over the garden and I ran inside to fetch my Mrs out and she wasn't impressed at all!!? Madness eh! Makes you wonder what's actually been on the garden that you don't actually see. I went out one morning to find a covey of about 6 Partridge right up to side of the kennel with the lurcher and GSP asleep inside! Also.. just a few months back I came home from work and found a pile of starling feathers in the middle of the lawn. I went on the cameras and no surprise it was a Sparrow Hawk having it's lunch.. was there for 45 minutes and funny thing is my Mrs was upstairs working in her office and didn't have a clue!!  Gotta love nature eh!!..?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, foxdropper said:

My mate can call them in with his mouth I just end up spitting everywhere so the old hollow stick does it for me also great fun for the grand kids, long story but I had 3 rescue barn owls in one of my aviarys many moons back they were skittish and paranoid and would disappear into the box when they heard the door so I started sitting quietly in the flight when I fed them, eventually they would come out grab a chick off the log and go back in, over a few weeks I got closer and closer eventually leaving my hand on the log with a chick in it, never really thought it through the first one came out the box flew down and stuck it’s talons straight through my hand I had seriously underestimated the grip they have it was pretty incredible went through my hand like butter, I did eventually get them flying onto my hand for food before rehoming them but with my welding glove on ?

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Really easy to call in barn owls with your hand , done it many a time.

One evening I was watching a pair hunt , called both of them in. I was lying in the grass and one of them landed about 6ft from me , we continued eye balling each other for about 20 seconds before he decided I wasnt a meal and flew off.

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

My mate can call them in with his mouth I just end up spitting everywhere so the old hollow stick does it for me also great fun for the grand kids, long story but I had 3 rescue barn owls in one of my aviarys many moons back they were skittish and paranoid and would disappear into the box when they heard the door so I started sitting quietly in the flight when I fed them, eventually they would come out grab a chick off the log and go back in, over a few weeks I got closer and closer eventually leaving my hand on the log with a chick in it, never really thought it through the first one came out the box flew down and stuck it’s talons straight through my hand I had seriously underestimated the grip they have it was pretty incredible went through my hand like butter, I did eventually get them flying onto my hand for food before rehoming them but with my welding glove on ?

I have had numerous talons through my fingers, thumbs and hands over the years, everything from little owls to eagle owls and all manor of hawks and falcons. All eventually let go, if you sit calmly. They do realise that they will not be able to eat you........Eventually  Lol,

3 hours ago, paulus said:

I have had numerous talons through my fingers, thumbs and hands over the years, everything from little owls to eagle owls and all manor of hawks and falcons. All eventually let go, if you sit calmly. They do realise that they will not be able to eat you........Eventually  Lol,

Yes but when it first happens it’s hard not to smash them against the wall ?

• Haha 1