New football thread

3 hours ago, WILF said:

Was at some game last night, as some know my lad transitioned to adult football this season at 15 and turned 16 in the season.

A winner takes all 6 pointer last night to put either team in a playoff for promotion to the premier, couple of ex pros on our squad which has been brilliant for a young lad to learn from.

Anyway, unusually for Ireland an absolute 90 mile an hour highly physical clash from the first whistle last night in awful conditions, pitch wrecked down the middle, sporadic icy showers with a cold wind throughout.

Took the lead in the first half, my lad could have then scored twice only to be denied by top class fingertip saves.

Second half they battered us and equalised then it was just end to end battle, 2 minutes left and a point would have been enough for us and we get a corner…..I tell my lad to just sit and reinforce in case anything breaks down, our team management tell him to go up and we leave ourselves with just 2 at the back.

Anyway, the inevitable happens, they break from the corner and score and it’s pandemonium from them.

They had both coaches sent off in the game, booking, tackles, the whole lot….brilliant game.

All you can do is shake hands and say “what a game, well done lads” which is what I did with both their coaches and all their players after.

The best thing to come out of it for me was to see my lad hold his own for 90 minutes in a game like that, he transitioned to a proper adult player imho last night.

Played right mid field which is new to him and I couldn’t knock him despite being his biggest critic as well as his biggest fan.

Games like last night make you love the game, you just have to wipe your mouth and say “wow, brilliant” 

if only he hadnt missed they two sitters

• Like 1

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West Ham fans in town all day and not a murmur until wives/families get attacked by " ultras " at the game itself.....embarrassing !! There was a handful of chaps on each stairwell stopping them

Lived in the same street as Beardsley when we were younger. He always was a mile ahead of the rest in skill as a kid. I saw him in a Marie Currie hospice a couple of years ago, he was handing out

My Hammers will struggle this year ,some fans want Moyse gone but personally i cant see the point we have a manager thats proved he can improve the club,owners willing to throw money at it.....at what

Posted Images

6 hours ago, WILF said:

Again mate, not that I have any strong views against what you are saying as I’m just pretty resigned to stuff, but does it look like they are losing?……because I don’t think it does.

They give British (and now English) people the f**k you and everyone still turns up and pays a hundred quid to get it and then complains they are being given a f**k you ?……..that’s how I see it anyway but then again I’m no authority in these things, they may very well be saying “oh, we better stop doing this stuff because a million people keep showing up with their hard earned money and taking it in the arse” ?…..who knows?, not me.

Different views mate, that’s all.

Late night ramblings after too much relaxing. I was taught at an early age never discuss politics or religion when relaxing, I need to remember that at times.

Regarding the actual football, I hope Anthony Gordon gets a chance to prove what Newcastle fans already know, that he has more drive and hunger in his little finger than some of Southgate's mainstays have in their entire bodies. Not short on talent either.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, eastcoast said:

Late night ramblings after too much relaxing. I was taught at an early age never discuss politics or religion when relaxing, I need to remember that at times.

Regarding the actual football, I hope Anthony Gordon gets a chance to prove what Newcastle fans already know, that he has more drive and hunger in his little finger than some of Southgate's mainstays have in their entire bodies. Not short on talent either.

Plays in a position though that England have an abundance of talent in 

saka 

foden ( arguably player of the year )

grealish 

Even rashford all start ahead of him .

options are even worse for him pushed into midfield, he can’t lace the boots of Bellingham and rice . 

shame like but destined to be a squad player imho 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Plays in a position though that England have an abundance of talent in 

saka 

foden ( arguably player of the year )

grealish 

Even rashford all start ahead of him .

options are even worse for him pushed into midfield, he can’t lace the boots of Bellingham and rice . 

shame like but destined to be a squad player imho 

Watching Foden this season in my opinion he joins Bellingham as being genuine world class and would start for any club or country. 

Again, this season and last, in my opinion Gordon has overtaken Grealish and Rashford. Rashford drifts in and out of games and does not give 100% for 90 minutes. Too often Grealish stops the play/momentum and just keeps to the ball until he draws a foul. Yes he wins lots of free kicks but that is not the way I like to see a forward play. 

But I have no axe to grind with any of then, just hope that they more than do us proud and actually win it this time.

I watched last night's game he put rice just in front of the back four like he use to play for West ham yet arsenal moved him forward and I think he's a better player there dictating more of the game that young utd lad mainoo looks like a good prospect I thought he did well on his debut might be a new partner for rice chilwell and Maguire didn't really fill me with confidence but Bellingham is world class foden didn't re produce his city form for whatever reason but Gordon put a shift in be interesting to see who does make the final squad

• Like 2

Im done with Southgate i think he should of gone after the World Cup.....to me it will be an absolute disaster if we dont win a major tournament with this current squad of players,we know being a yes man is the only thing that got him the job in the first place as he'd done nothing as a coach other than take Boro down....but if our FA care as much about football as they do about politics they'll get a proven top coach in and pay him whatever he wants to get the best from this squad.

My Hammers set up to play negative football for good reasons and i get it.....but England have a side full of world class players at the top of their game and will be playing tournament football why is he sending them out so apprehensive......i fear we'll never win anything with Southgate in charge and will probably miss the best opportunity we've had in years to get our hands on a trophy.

• Like 2

I got Albania in the office sweep. 1 of the young wiz kids (that's all of them except me) set up some kind of wheel of fortune App and I also got the bonus team, Scotland. Cash prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd so if England don't go the distance here's hoping for a Scotland v Albania final. Come on Albania!

I have not watched either of the games so far, I watched Dorking Wanderers, Ranynes Park Vale and Ilford v West Essex instead !…..but is it not just friendly games they are playing here ?

From what I read the squad isn’t exactly first choices players, maybe he is just getting a looks at a few boys ?

10 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Im done with Southgate i think he should of gone after the World Cup.....to me it will be an absolute disaster if we dont win a major tournament with this current squad of players,we know being a yes man is the only thing that got him the job in the first place as he'd done nothing as a coach other than take Boro down....but if our FA care as much about football as they do about politics they'll get a proven top coach in and pay him whatever he wants to get the best from this squad.

My Hammers set up to play negative football for good reasons and i get it.....but England have a side full of world class players at the top of their game and will be playing tournament football why is he sending them out so apprehensive......i fear we'll never win anything with Southgate in charge and will probably miss the best opportunity we've had in years to get our hands on a trophy.

I have been saying the same thing for a while now like last night first half he had  foden on the left wing never hardly got in the game second half he went central and was involved in most of England attacks I thought young mainoo had a very good game nothing fazes him and his control in such tight places and range of passes brilliant he's going to be some player and considering how much first team football he's played I thought Bowen had a good game but Southgate doesn't fill me with confidence to win anything even with that squad of players 

Genuine question on that lads,

Who and what system would you have played?

I didn't see the Brazil game, but I thought that was a positive performance against Belgium barring 2 howlers and a back 4 that was shaky but won't be close to our back 4.

the full backs played high, the interchanging in the midfield was great, Toney looked very good, Mainoo looked excellent, Bellingham is genuine world class as is Rice in his position. I'm not sure how Southgate was negative last night?

I get that he has been and is pretty careful in tournaments, but in the last 2 years Bellingham has become a world star (who comes close, only Mbappe for me), he is allowed to play where he wants and control the game, his other issue is our weakest area is central defense, so he has to use Rice as that deep defensive midfielder as he is the best at it, unfortuantley he has proven this year for Arsenal what a great all round midfielder he is, so to be tasked with the basics "nuts and bolts" of the game must frustrate him, absolute credit to the man though epitome of a professional, I rate him so highly!

Our starting 11 is enough to beat any team in the world, I get the frustration with Southgate, a couple of penalties the right way and we could be world cup and european cup holders, the truth is we lost both so the facts don't lie...

I think this will be Southgates last tournament anyway, so win or lose we will see what another manager can do with this current crop soon enough.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I didn't see the Brazil game, but I thought that was a positive performance against Belgium barring 2 howlers and a back 4 that was shaky but won't be close to our back 4.

the full backs played high, the interchanging in the midfield was great, Toney looked very good, Mainoo looked excellent, Bellingham is genuine world class as is Rice in his position. I'm not sure how Southgate was negative last night?

I get that he has been and is pretty careful in tournaments, but in the last 2 years Bellingham has become a world star (who comes close, only Mbappe for me), he is allowed to play where he wants and control the game, his other issue is our weakest area is central defense, so he has to use Rice as that deep defensive midfielder as he is the best at it, unfortuantley he has proven this year for Arsenal what a great all round midfielder he is, so to be tasked with the basics "nuts and bolts" of the game must frustrate him, absolute credit to the man though epitome of a professional, I rate him so highly!

Our starting 11 is enough to beat any team in the world, I get the frustration with Southgate, a couple of penalties the right way and we could be world cup and european cup holders, the truth is we lost both so the facts don't lie...

I think this will be Southgates last tournament anyway, so win or lose we will see what another manager can do with this current crop soon enough.

You rightly mention the back four why not give tomori at a.c. Milan a game he ticks a lot of boxes and is a regular or Braithwaite at Everton a bright young player who plays regular and is tipped for a big move we know what Maguire or stones walker ect bring to the pitch but I think Southgate has his favourites like Henderson or Maguire even though aren't playing or playing well will still get a place 

• Like 1
On 27/03/2024 at 21:51, NEWKID said:

I get all that mate and to be honest , as much as I’m not a Southgate fan , we were two kicks away from winning the last euros . 

winning is in the tiny margins of games , I think Southgate is too eager to adhere to a system that can be seen as doing things the right way , forcing flair players into disciplined roles as a legacy from years of players underperforming .

we have the spine of a great team , Kane , Bellingham, rice , walker , Trent are all best in class level players. When you add in the possible walk ins from a cast of madison et al , we have a team who can / should be steam rollering sides with flair panache and steel. 

we have no one to fear . I just wish we could genuinely not worry about results against top sides In friendlies , I’d rather we’d sent teams out in-the last two games and just let the shackles off 

• Like 2
On 27/03/2024 at 21:51, NEWKID said:

I never get too tactical as having never played the game properly i dont have a right to think i can out think an international coach but what i do understand is basic sporting mentality and competitive spirit so as an ex sportsman i just cant understand his decision making with the weapons he has at his disposal....to me Southgate lacks the qualities it takes to be a winner in sport.....he has a team there that any Premier League manager would dream of having,im convinced that if you gave this side to any of the top 10 Premier League managers they would win major tournaments.

An international manager has the luxury of seeing players excel in roles week to week and then fit them into his own formation he will have seen how Arteta allows Rice to get forward and how exceptional he is in that role yet continues to play him as a second holding midfielder....similar how he takes Bellingham out of a 10 role where he is showing to be one of the best in the world there.....2 holding midfielders when we have probably the best striker in our lifetimes.....2 holding midfielders has failed Southgate every time he's used it in tournament football and now in a friendly against a weak Brazilian side who sat 6th in South American qualification and havent won in their last 4 games,have a brand new manager etc he uses it again !....he is clearly not learning and will take us into the Euros the same way and we'll come up short again......he is crushing the attack of England and that is the sides strength he is a cowardly manager with a " dont get beat " attitude yet in reality he has won only 4 games out of 25 against top 15 ranked sides.

His mid game decision making in important games is poor,1 nil up after 2 minutes against an ageing Italian side in the Euros instead of going for the throat we sat back and just gave the game away,exactly the same against France in the World Cup....1 nil up against Croatia they adjusted and we didnt,ended up losing 2 - 1.

With a group of players who are more than capable of just going out and playing on the front foot and putting teams away he is ridiculously cautious....we have at least 5 world class players....Argentina won the World Cup with 1 world class player.

We talk about golden generations France had one,Brazil had one,Italy,Spain,Germany have all had them but now this is our golden generation we are wasting it with a manager who is not brave enough to set teams up to attack and play to our strengths,who lacks tactical knowledge or managerial ability....we have a potentially great team but have a Championship level manager playing Stoke football.......with his cv he should never have been given the job,and his yes man mentality will once again only go to show the priorities of our FA if they dont replace him........Rant over.

• Like 1