New football thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West Ham fans in town all day and not a murmur until wives/families get attacked by " ultras " at the game itself.....embarrassing !! There was a handful of chaps on each stairwell stopping them

Lived in the same street as Beardsley when we were younger. He always was a mile ahead of the rest in skill as a kid. I saw him in a Marie Currie hospice a couple of years ago, he was handing out

My Hammers will struggle this year ,some fans want Moyse gone but personally i cant see the point we have a manager thats proved he can improve the club,owners willing to throw money at it.....at what

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

I was reading due to the new rules Newcastle could sign a few on loan from the Saudi leagues there seems to be plenty of elite players that have gone over there recently 

They are not new rules, mate, it’s always been the rule, but the premier league teams tried to change the rules to stop Newcastle loaning players from the four Saudi teams that the PIF also own.

There was a vote and it needed a majority of 14 teams to vote for the change but only 13 voted for it and 7, including other teams like Man City who’s owners also own other teams voted against it.

The problem is, the players that have signed for the Saudi league are on such enormous wages, Newcastle couldn’t take them on loan without falling foul of Financial Fair Play, so I doubt if we will see any joining in January.

Evertons 10 point deduction has concentrated the minds of all the teams !

Cheers.

• Like 1

Newcastle looked knackered today, Spurs on their day are so quick from defense to attack it was all too much for a tired and injury ravaged side... Son is some player when he's at it, world class for sure..

• Like 3

Watched Man U v Bayern . Made me laugh that the krauts were able to taunt us with " Footballs coming home" and "Is this a library?" without being drowned out by a fired up Stretford End. Part of the problem at Old Trafford is that they have gentrified the terraces with the "prawn sandwiches" brigade who have no real gut affiliation to the team. No wonder the Bayern supporters were able to dominate the noise. That would never happen at our rivals like Liverpool or Newcastle ,Villa or countless other clubs.

The other problem at Man U is that after a decent start, the board let Ten Haag have a free rein with signings. Hence Onana( a disaster), Antony ( a championship player) and Mason somebody. Verane and Casemiro were good signings but  Madrid would never have let them go if they didn't think they were past their sell by date. Plus they were signed for (inflated Man U) extortionate fees and are on silly money contracts.

Recruitment at the club has been shite for decades. Even Ferguson's recruitment was haphazard with a hell of a lot of duds, although he did sign Cantona. This may have been because Ferguson's brother  was chief scout. Van Gaal and Mourhino signed some shockers too. Who was the last Liverpool signing who was a dud? And the master, Arsene Wenger signed comparative unknowns for reasonable money and sold them  at top dollar when their best was behind them. 

I keep waiting  by the phone for United to ring me to sort these problems out for them, but their pride won't allow them to hire me. Oh well, it's their f****n loss.  

Edited by jukel123
10 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Watched Man U v Bayern . Made me laugh that the krauts were able to taunt us with " Footballs coming home" and "Is this a library?" without being drowned out by a fired up Stretford End. Part of the problem at Old Trafford is that they have gentrified the terraces with the "prawn sandwiches" brigade who have no real gut affiliation to the team. No wonder the Bayern supporters were able to dominate the noise. That would never happen at our rivals like Liverpool or Newcastle ,Villa or countless other clubs.

The other problem at Man U is that after a decent start, the board let Ten Haag have a free rein with signings. Hence Onana( a disaster), Antony ( a championship player) and Mason somebody. Verane and Casemiro were good signings but  Madrid would never have let them go if they didn't think they were past their sell by date. Plus they were signed for (inflated Man U) extortionate fees and are on silly money contracts.

Recruitment at the club has been shite for decades. Even Ferguson's recruitment was haphazard with a hell of a lot of duds, although he did sign Cantona. This may have been because Ferguson's brother  was chief scout. Van Gaal and Mourhino signed some shockers too. Who was the last Liverpool signing who was a dud? And the master, Arsene Wenger signed comparative unknowns for reasonable money and sold them  at top dollar when their best was behind them. 

I keep waiting  by the phone for United to ring me to sort these problems out for them, but their pride won't allow them to hire me. Oh well, it's their f****n loss.  

I did have a little wry smile when i heard the krauts belting out "it's coming home"... a humour I didn't realise the Gernans had...lol

Fergie was very good in the transfer market mate, yes he had a couple if failures (Veron, Kleberson, Anderson etc).. but in the main he had an eye for talent... Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nisteroy, Keane, Rio, Evra...even swiping Van Persie in his last season to secure the league... he also obviously struck gold with the "class of 92" youngsters...but since he's left who have they signed that you still look at and think it was a great signing? Bruno perhaps and that's about it... Casimero had a good season... there are a few decent kids coming through, but a club lime utd demands success or at least a strong challenge for the league and in Europe...both pathetic so far! Injuries aren't helping, 4 months ago I wouldn't have thought I be gutted to see Maguire injured, but he again looked good last night...plus Shaw going off is a big blow... there is no depth in the squad though, who could come on and change the game last night?

Agree with Wenger, what an astute manager, it was shit how some of the fans turned in the end, short memories mate...

• Like 1

I'm not knocking Fergie, he delivered beyond belief, neither am I  splitting hairs, but there were other transfer flops other than the ones you mentioned. Taibi, Bebe, the Jemba brothers. The successes even I could see were class players, except Van Nistelroy, a comparative unknown who I think is the best striker we've ever had.

Look at what  Mourhino left us with:_ Pogba! Is he the biggest waste of money  in the history of the club? Perhaps not, he also signed Sanchez! He also signed Bailly and Fred...not great additions.

Van Gaal signed duds like Rojo, Schweinsteiger and Romero. Although tbf he also signed  Luke Shaw.

I just think there's no overall strategy at the club, no plan. Fergie could pull everything together by his sheer strength of personality and the duds were forgotten.

Hopefully Ratcliffe will instill a bit of business sense  and  bring in some background boys with CVs to prove they who know their stuff. There's a lot to be done imo mate.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

I did have a little wry smile when i heard the krauts belting out "it's coming home"... a humour I didn't realise the Gernans had...lol

Fergie was very good in the transfer market mate, yes he had a couple if failures (Veron, Kleberson, Anderson etc).. but in the main he had an eye for talent... Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nisteroy, Keane, Rio, Evra...even swiping Van Persie in his last season to secure the league... he also obviously struck gold with the "class of 92" youngsters...but since he's left who have they signed that you still look at and think it was a great signing? Bruno perhaps and that's about it... Casimero had a good season... there are a few decent kids coming through, but a club lime utd demands success or at least a strong challenge for the league and in Europe...both pathetic so far! Injuries aren't helping, 4 months ago I wouldn't have thought I be gutted to see Maguire injured, but he again looked good last night...plus Shaw going off is a big blow... there is no depth in the squad though, who could come on and change the game last night?

Agree with Wenger, what an astute manager, it was shit how some of the fans turned in the end, short memories mate...

We have talked about this before mate, but I still maintain that a big (and completely overlooked) factor in the state of Utd was the signing of Pogba……imho, one of the major achievements in his career was poising the well of one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Young players you had when he arrived (what was Rashford?….19 or something ?) would have looked at him at 90 million and learned all the wrong lessons.

Its not just his fault, you have owners who obviously couldn’t give two fucks about the club but you definitely have a group of players who think they are more than they are and that culture comes from somewhere. 

Ten Hag has to take some of the blame of course, overall I think he is a good coach and has shit miracles really with that group but he is fighting fires everywhere by the look of it.

But he made that Bruno captain….who f**k makes a player like that captain ?……an absolute folder in bad situations and he is your captain when in reality it’s a player like McTominay giving the captains performances or at least trying to.

That Onana is like some kind of performing monkey with his silly “photo opportunity” dives all over the show…..just be a good, solid, loud, standup keeper you f***ing clown and cut out the theatrics ! 
Martial couldn’t score in a brothel with a fist full of £50 notes, same old runs, same old movement….he must be one of the easiest “forwards” to mark in the league.

All in all, after 30 years of listening to my father in law, it’s a great time to watch Utd ! Lol 😂 

My mouth waters every time you play Liverpool or city ! Lol 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, WILF said:

We have talked about this before mate, but I still maintain that a big (and completely overlooked) factor in the state of Utd was the signing of Pogba……imho, one of the major achievements in his career was poising the well of one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Young players you had when he arrived (what was Rashford?….19 or something ?) would have looked at him at 90 million and learned all the wrong lessons.

Its not just his fault, you have owners who obviously couldn’t give two fucks about the club but you definitely have a group of players who think they are more than they are and that culture comes from somewhere. 

Ten Hag has to take some of the blame of course, overall I think he is a good coach and has shit miracles really with that group but he is fighting fires everywhere by the look of it.

But he made that Bruno captain….who f**k makes a player like that captain ?……an absolute folder in bad situations and he is your captain when in reality it’s a player like McTominay giving the captains performances or at least trying to.

That Onana is like some kind of performing monkey with his silly “photo opportunity” dives all over the show…..just be a good, solid, loud, standup keeper you f***ing clown and cut out the theatrics ! 
Martial couldn’t score in a brothel with a fist full of £50 notes, same old runs, same old movement….he must be one of the easiest “forwards” to mark in the league.

All in all, after 30 years of listening to my father in law, it’s a great time to watch Utd ! Lol 😂 

My mouth waters every time you play Liverpool or city ! Lol 

Pretty much agree with all of that, Pogba infuriated me as he genuinely had world class talent but f****d up attitude... I actually think the keeper is OK and will be a good buy, I get his signing personally..

Bruno is running all round the pitch trying to put in a captains performance where he should just play.his game and stop the f***ing whining....martial shit, full stop and the young forward was bullied all night last night and looked like a kid ... I think he could come good but needs loads of work on his hold up play, seeing Kane and knowing they should've made him the no1 priority is galling ..I bet he's glad they didn't though, the man is getting better with age...class!

Got a few roubd for a bash on Sunday, ones a big Liverpool fan, the messages have already started... I might stay in bed all day! Lol

• Haha 1

Kills me that keeper's are now supposed to be good with their feet and play out from the back and be part of this new pressing game. We used to call it attacking football and all keeper's used to receive the ball and THROW it with accuracy and speed to one of their own men. Smeichel,was a master at it. He could deliver a ball precisely to a  player's feet on the half way line if necessary. He wasn't the only one. 

Memo to Ten Haag and others....keepers have an advantage, they can use their arms to distribute the ball. And they can dictate the tempo of the game by speedy delivery.

33 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Kills me that keeper's are now supposed to be good with their feet and play out from the back and be part of this new pressing game. We used to call it attacking football and all keeper's used to receive the ball and THROW it with accuracy and speed to one of their own men. Smeichel,was a master at it. He could deliver a ball precisely to a  player's feet on the half way line if necessary. He wasn't the only one. 

Memo to Ten Haag and others....keepers have an advantage, they can use their arms to distribute the ball. And they can dictate the tempo of the game by speedy delivery.

ange postacoglo when at celtic had the ball boys at training sessions and had them get the ball to celtic  players at lighting pace and when it was the op they could take as much time as they liked.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Kills me that keeper's are now supposed to be good with their feet and play out from the back and be part of this new pressing game. We used to call it attacking football 

I dont think we're far away from full on " rush goalie ".......seen a few keepers lately adding to the numbers in defence when pressuring opponents....almost like it allows an extra attacking player with very little risk defensively,and keepers/players in general are so fit and quick these days they can be back into a sensible shape in seconds.

• Like 1
On 08/12/2023 at 12:16, WILF said:

Lavished ?…….Worshipped ?…….going a bit strong there pal aren’t you ? Lol 

I don’t think I ever did either of those things but if I did I’d obviously hold my hands up. 

I don’t reckon me and you can chat about the hammers anymore, you are a home and away, season after season man and I’m not and you have your view and I have mine and I reckon we have both worked out they won’t be the same by now mate. 

You call it how you see it and I’ll do likewise but we will give up discussing it…….not much point.

Yes you did heap praise on that side i remember, so whats the difference between old Dave Basset or Joe Kinnear doing it and David Moyse doing it ?.....are you that down on West Ham/London that you'll only praise something if its someone else doing it......or are you secretly realising that the whole move thing you wanted has backfired on you but dont want to admit f****n up ( in which case dont worry about it theres plenty of yous in the same boat ) 😆

Its nothing to do with going home and away i dont book myself any more of a fan than the next man chaps like you or me have been arguing over footie since school days dont start going all sulky now mate its only a natter on tinternet for gawd sake !

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1