Lurcher barking

I have lurcher bitch 13 months old and since around 7 months old she started to bark at other people passing by with their dogs  but good with other dogs ive tried feeding from hand giving treats get her to sit when people passing but still no improvement the last option is training collar what would you reccomend thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's what I would do and I hope this helps you out. first get the dog to sit, fast on command. You can use treats for this if the dog's keen for them. Next is to teach the "look" comand so the

Zap collar might do more harm than good ,you might be zapping your dog for doing something it thinks you want it To do, id try a long lead in a place dog walkers go and allow the dog to get close to o

size 10 up it's arse will sort it quicker than wanking it off with your lips...

Posted Images

2 hours ago, twelsh said:

I have lurcher bitch 13 months old and since around 7 months old she started to bark at other people passing by with their dogs  but good with other dogs ive tried feeding from hand giving treats get her to sit when people passing but still no improvement the last option is training collar what would you reccomend thanks

My bedy lurcher used to bark at other dogs when she was on the lead but once loose she was fine.

She'll grawl if someone startles her when out mooching ,folk seem to turn up out of no where and it wigs her out and she voices her disapproval,of course if she knows you she's fine ,

Best bet his walk your dog with a friend who got dogs and it soon sort it ,

2 hours ago, twelsh said:

I had a pup kept barking in the kennel at all hours, tried late exercise and late feeding but nothing seemed to work, so as a last resort I got a collar, it worked a treat only took a couple of zaps ⚡️ 

Is it when your walking the dog or when the dog is kenneled or is the dog lose in the yard ?

The more you rehearse it the worse it will get so change some thing straight away to stop it while you decide what your doing 

Edited by terryd

Maybe start using 1 of these ball throw sticks mate..and carry it in your free hand.. once you see another person an dog approach..wave the ball attached to the stick infront of her nose etc..to try and take her attention off the oncoming person..it may or may not work..but worth a go..

1281700624_Screenshot_20230101_191259_AmazonShopping.jpg.b2a4bddd20ae08efeaec42dcd300fe29.jpg

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, king said:

Maybe start using 1 of these ball throw sticks mate..and carry it in your free hand.. once you see another person an dog approach..wave the ball attached to the stick infront of her nose etc..to try and take her attention off the oncoming person..it may or may not work..but worth a go..

1281700624_Screenshot_20230101_191259_AmazonShopping.jpg.b2a4bddd20ae08efeaec42dcd300fe29.jpg

Failing that thresh the beggar wi it

• Haha 4
20 minutes ago, terryd said:

Is it when your walking the dog or when the dog is kenneled or is the dog lose in the yard ?

The more you rehearse it the worse it will get so change some thing straight away to stop it while you decide what your doing 

No good in kennel quiet mouse just when out on walks when see other people with dogs as she lives with  other dogs mint with them

2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Failing that thresh the beggar wi it

The dog is barking because it could feel anxious/anxiety or nervous etc..or maybe just wants to play with the other dog..a good thrashing won't help much mate.. the more it happens the more an owner will feel anxious himself..and the dog will read that through body language and voice etc..

But if you want to thresh it carry on ?

• Like 4
1 minute ago, king said:

The dog is barking because it could feel anxious/anxiety or nervous etc..or maybe just wants to play with the other dog..a good thrashing won't help much mate.. the more it happens the more an owner will feel anxious himself..and the dog will read that through body language and voice etc..

But if you want to thresh it carry on ?

Thats one thing that i wouldnt do mate ive tried most things and nothing takes her off it im thinking last resort zap collar for few times see if any changes

11 minutes ago, twelsh said:

Thats one thing that i wouldnt do mate ive tried most things and nothing takes her off it im thinking last resort zap collar for few times see if any changes

Under the circumstances I dont think zapping it is a good idea. Do what ever you have to avoid passing dogs close and start working at a distance. A correction on the lead may be in order though to let her know its not on. Good luck not easy some times

Edited by terryd
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, twelsh said:

You could allways call her bluff.and head straight for the other dog so she's face to face with it instead of leading her away from the oncoming dog..or even try to totally ignore her barking..just tighten her down on the lead so she's right by your leg and walk on by and don't say a thing to her..almost like it never happened..

Hopefully you get her sorted mate..

There's a woman walks up the lane by my house she had a collie bitch..and that is barking and raring up she has to wrestle it into the side from people walking dogs..even cars the dogs the same..now she's got her hands full with that collie.