Lead Ban C*ckup?

4 hours ago, KimE said:

SAAMI specification for .243win are 1/10 //saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.4-CFR-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

Then Remington discovered they had a disadvantage for the .244rem its only stabilizing 90gr bullets they had to make a renaming to 6mm rem with a faster twistrate to compete with .243win who had already became popular. A new example are 6,8Westerner who is a shorter 270wssm with a faster twistrate to take heavy bullets. If new ammunition get produced what old rifles cant handle the customers will get confused, of cause a reloader will have a benefit of the faster twistrate.

Yes I know all that my friend.

I don't think however it will be any more confusing than twist choices in 223!

If they do get confused maybe the should not be out their with a rifle in the first place!!

• Confused 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is apparently a stumpy 100gn 6mm bullet. Some manufacturers are speeding up the twist on 243w barrels. It's utter bigotry and prejudice driving this. My advice is stock up and hide it.

a ban on lead ammunition is what BASC had wanted?,

Most common is 1/10, as far as I’m aware it’s because it will stabilise a 100gn round ( lead )( i could be wrong im not very technical) mine shoots 90’s  better than 100’s a lad I know has been u

On 01/01/2023 at 10:34, foxdropper said:

Talk of a buy back on calibres that will be of no use ie .22 ,17 and the hornets .but can’t see it myself .Just another fold to the antis .Apparently France who buy a lot of our processed shot game from dealers have stated they won’t buy steel shot anymore as the shot rusts in the journey to their outlets .Couldn’t make that up tbh .Be some cheap small calibres about soon for sure .

I can't see a buy back.

That said, it could also do a few favours because if rimmys disappear,everyone gets CF on their licence even for bunnys. Only issue there is ammo cost for bunny bashing.

Some of the articles / reports I've read from the US seems to suggest the terminal effects are far superior to lead because the copper dumps the energy more efficiently. The issue seems to be with the small calibres and shottys. I have no real issue with CF's in the larger calibres. I think the issues are going to surround rimmy's and maybe small CF's such as .204 and air rifles. Unsure how .22 CF will fare either given bullets are so light to start with even in lead. Be interesting to see at what bullet weight accuracy drops off and whether it's bullet weight or the bullet + existing twist rates that's the issue. It could just be the existing twist rates on rimmys aren't enough to full stabilise the bullet. No doubt it will all come out in the wash. Be quite funny though if the Police go from granting .22 RF for bunnys to .243 because of copper. With air rifles, maybe slugs will become the norm.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, paulus said:

Well that's going to be a bummer, i don't get it, the lead comes from the earth and then goes back into the earth, 

??.

Yep, lead is used everywhere but us shooting folk, causing so much harm. Needs to stop!

Mercury tooth fillings are fine though ????.

Using lead on roofs, no problem.

Just good old BS mate.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Alsone said:

It's got nothing to do with the safety of lead and eating game like they are trying to push.

It's purely another effort to ban shooting by the back door by those that are against it.

And BASC support it ....a$$holes

• Like 2

Copper is accurate as you like but unless your in backstop heaven or the woods it’s shite… no good to me, it passes straight through stuff and carries on!

you know the feeling when a .22 wizzes into the distance? 
brace yourself cos a 6.5 is just ridiculous ?

the tits who say less meat damage are in a different world, who wants runners I want them on ground where I shot them 

• Like 2

Anyone notice that nearly everyone seems to be just accepting this as a done deal.   I haven't seen anyone taking basic to task over this.  The only thing I did see was a statement right at the bottom of a cartridge manufacturer  (Lyvale) possibly where the management wrote a clear statement that basic had made a claim that in 5 years time where there would be no lead or plastic in the shooting field at all.!!  BUT that at No stage had basic consulted any of the 4 major cartridge manufactures in the UK about this and that as far as they were concerned that this was an impossibility because the components were not available for production.   Seeing this case why are shooters not getting on to basic about this.  Or anything.? Why do people keep joining basic.

Ps  go have a look at the home pages of Lyvale, down the last hand side.  Special statement.  And  hull by looking for site map and then non lead statement.

WWW.LYALVALEEXPRESS.COM
WWW.HULLCARTRIDGE.CO.UK

Edited by Meece