Politeness works.

We often have the threads on here about getting permission. I have had a load of permission in the past when the farmer has initially said no just by being overly polite. It goes something like.

Me. Good morning sir

Farmer. Grunts 

Me. I was wondering if you wanted any free pest control done on your land.

Farmer. No

Me. Ok thanks for your time sir sorry to bother you. Have a good day. 

Me. Walks around ten steps away.

Farmer. Hang on. What sir if pest control  

then your in ?

1 minute ago, paulus said:

Most of my permission was gained in the complete opposite way. Most just ended up saying, i might as well give you permission as your going to come on here anyway. ?

Doesn’t work like that in west wales where every farmer is related and all have three or four sons and live to catch poachers ?

4 minutes ago, socks said:

Doesn’t work like that in west wales where every farmer is related and all have three or four sons and live to catch poachers ?

There is one particular farmer who has a hatred of me after someone wrote c**t in 10ft high letters with his own Roundup on a hill side of growing wheat that faces the main A5, Then there's a well to do family who own a shit load of land who go out of there way to put a new private property sign up wherever they managed to see me in one of their fields ?

2 minutes ago, paulus said:

Most of my permission was gained in the complete opposite way. Most just ended up saying, i might as well give you permission as your going to come on here anyway. ?

That's how I got one of my first permissions. I had been poaching the land for ages when one of the tennants asked me to clear some rabbits from the veg plot at his tied cottage. He was the squire's cow man. After I'd ferreted the sets he told me that Mr. Elmhirst, the squire, wanted to see me so I walked down to his farm expecting to get a bollocking. Instead of a bollocking he said that he had realised that he couldn't keep me off the land so he might as well get some use out of the situation. He set me on to clear some pastures and from that rats in barns, pigeons........    Proper old school landowner and solicitor. 

Later on my mate rented shooting rights on three of the old deceased squire's land now run by his son. So I ended up poacher come gamekeeper on the same land.

Has anybody ever been thrown off land for mole trapping without permision? That could be the way forward. When the farmer comes over to see what you are doing just tell him that you are mole trapping. If he asks what the 12g  SxS is for tell him you use it to to dispatch wounded moles. If he asks what the lurcher is for tell him you use it to catch any runners when you lift your traps. Same with the ferret. That's used to drive moles into the traps. 

Went to gun shop to get some supply’s years back and lad wasn’t in, I was bustin for piss so drove down lane that ends next to a big dairy farm.. was draining off in a bush when this woman walked past so I apologised!

when I’d finished she was walk-in farm entrance… me being a cheeky fcuker I asked if she wanted the ferrels thinning out..

to which she replied.. call back 12 tomorrow as me husband will be about then. 
called back next day and he was a proper frosty fcuker but after he realised I shot for a few blokes he knows he said yes… I’m first person he’s let shoot his land and over the years I’ve done loads of building work for them too :) 

if you don’t ask you don’t get?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, si brown said:

Went to gun shop to get some supply’s years back and lad wasn’t in, I was bustin for piss so drove down lane that ends next to a big dairy farm.. was draining off in a bush when this woman walked past so I apologised!

when I’d finished she was walk-in farm entrance… me being a cheeky fcuker I asked if she wanted the ferrels thinning out..

to which she replied.. call back 12 tomorrow as me husband will be about then. 
called back next day and he was a proper frosty fcuker but after he realised I shot for a few blokes he knows he said yes… I’m first person he’s let shoot his land and over the years I’ve done loads of building work for them too :) 

if you don’t ask you don’t get?

Could of gone the other and got done for indecent expose and ended up the register ?

• Haha 2

And another good bit of practice is look after your permission once you’ve got it, I dropped off a bottle a couple of days before Christmas big one a litre lol don’t be tight and while there I had a wander I found an obviously stolen electric car in one of the fields so your his eyes and ears as well, always keep them up to date on the problem areas and let them know your dealing with it and prove it with a couple of pictures they love a pic, I’ve been welcome on this permission for 15 years with no issues.

* Aimed at the newbies who post once asking for permission we know it doesn’t work like that trust has to be built *

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All my perm has stemmed from the halcyon days of the rabbit plague when everyone and anyone was welcome on the land here .Those who did a good job stayed ,the messers were binned .Went from rabbits to fox and deer to do what you want when you want .Few need me to ring up when I go others a text  but I text them all regardless .

Nowadays it’s just as likely I get a call as to me asking anywhere .The one place I’m at his beck and call for free but the place is heaving with deer and fox ,rats and rabbits soon probs on my part .Missus takes the piss calling me his bitch but I know there are others waiting to get on the ground and in fact he’s given perm to a lad to shoot the foxes but since rescinded it as he never shows .

Got 17 farms of various size and as it stands right now I pay for nothing .The one place used to charge for the deer stalking but she saw the light when I started reducing the rabbits and hares ,foxes and various .Now that’s free as well .

• Like 1