Rewilding Project

Evening All

Been chatting with another member and I posted some time ago regarding the topic.

I'm interested in rewilding an area of land near mine for wildlife purposes. So here goes the question. If anyone has any live rabbits please give me a shout would be very interested in releasing near me. Can discuss terms privately. 

( Additionally what success or failure stories have you all got )

Cheers chaps

Thanks

1 hour ago, neil b said:

There is no rabbits there for a reason, I would think, and Sod’s Law if you did release some more someone wouldn’t be able to help themselves and take them before you did, 

Last time there was rabbits in this location was the 90s. 30 years since. So It has previously held a population.

It's almost 90 acres in size upto the peripheries. Mixture of forest,grassland and sandy moorland . Which is perfect.

There isn't natural repopulation as the areas around the land are built up now. Those that know Oldham probably know what where im talking about.

Agreed on people getting stuck into it on their own accord as the area has a plenty of housing. The area hold foxes,Badgers, deer you name it. Just a shame that no rabbits which is a key piece of bio diversity.

Good luck with your venture my mate did it some years ago near me and it was great to see rabbits bobbing about on a daily walk even  though it was on a large field of scientific interest and open to the public the rabbits have all but disappeared rumour has it a keeper from the nearby estate with thermal imaging sights on his gun has all but wiped them out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

Good luck with your venture my mate did it some years ago near me and it was great to see rabbits bobbing about on a daily walk even  though it was on a large field of scientific interest and open to the public the rabbits have all but disappeared rumour has it a keeper from the nearby estate with thermal imaging sights on his gun has all but wiped them out.

It does work to a point but there has to be Rabbits in the surrounding area to draw from , to start with you have to identify why there are no Rabbits there in the first place because nothing will change  until  that has been addressed

micks pics 270.jpg

2 hours ago, TOMO said:

I'm deadly serious Fred...pain in the arse handling live rabbits and transporting them

Best thing i found it the cardboard centre from new carpets rolls. Cut to length roughly twice the length of the rabbit Press one end down pop the rabbit in then press the other end down, Dark and confined in the tube they tend to just stay still. 

1 minute ago, paulus said:

Best thing i found it the cardboard centre from new carpets rolls. Cut to length roughly twice the length of the rabbit Press one end down pop the rabbit in then press the other end down, Dark and confined in the tube they tend to just stay still. 

used pheasant crates in the past...or a large ferret box ..for just 2 or 3

Just now, TOMO said:

used pheasant crates in the past...or a large ferret box ..for just 2 or 3

i use to take a few to the greyhound lads, once put half a dozen into a plastic cat carrier, Have you ever driven up the M1 with 6 rabbits loose in the car ? f***ing nightmare .

49 minutes ago, paulus said:

i use to take a few to the greyhound lads, once put half a dozen into a plastic cat carrier, Have you ever driven up the M1 with 6 rabbits loose in the car ? f***ing nightmare .

lol...

12 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

This was the original reason they first disappeared. So suspect as the group have said its likely to come back. The area is lawless to a degree so wouldn't be any management of them.

• Like 1