Rats in the attic

I live in a bungalow and am troubled with rats getting in the attic, I’ve been round the outside looking for and gaps, cracks or anywhere one could get in with a fine tooth comb but can’t find anything, I’ve got 6 traps baited with peanut butter and chocolate spread and poison blocks all over, but all remain untouched, has anyone any tips or advice on how to rid myself of the tiny pitter patter of tiny feet above my head in the small hours, any help would be much appreciated, 

cheers Neil B 

If it's rats and you have no holes in external walls then it's a sewer or drain fault.

If you keep hearing them and there is no droppings it could possibly be a wood mouse , they make hell of a noise but don't leave droppings everywhere.

As dido said if you cant find any external holes its usually the drains. Lift any inspection covers for your drains, look for stones, soil, loft insulation anything that shouldn't be there. 

Ivy or other shrubs growing up to gutter can be a route in.  They can also shimmy up the gutter downspout. Check under the roof tiles around the downspout for gnawed holes.

We had them here for a while ,damned  annoying as stated .I put fens along the wall plate by pushing up bottom row of tiles and felt .Our rats were running the eaves but after catching 7 it stopped .Damned things almost caused a fire chewing wires .

Hate to say it but poison is your best bet here mate .They gained access to ours along the gutter from next door that has a climber on the back of the house and chewed the facia board to get in .

Good luck mate .

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

If it’s mice you will here them running around if it’s rats you will think someone is in your loft

And if its a fouine (stone marten) you'll think someone's riding a horse across your ceiling.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Deker said:

I'm not disputing what you say, but Squirrel and rat droppings "can" be very similar.

What's the outcome anyway, is the job done?

Fingers crossed Iv not heard anything recently, all the poison I put down has gone too