Feeding ferrets

Normally feed my ferrets a mixture of vermin and a bit dry now and then however they are putting on weight I know it’s due to winter however a lad I was talking to said he feeds his every 2 days so should I feed them every few days instead of everyday but they always seem hungry or am I over feeding them by feeding them everyday? Seemed alright in the summer I think it’s the fat they are putting on for winter that’s making them look big, cheers 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they should have access to fresh food every single day mate,you shouldn't make them wait 2 days...tell your pal to buck his ideas up??

and folks wonder why their ferrets kill in and their digging all the time??

Ferrets have a tiny digestive tract meaning the food they eat passes through very quickly. A ferret will eat up to 6 separate times over 24 hours so need a constant supply of fresh food. Go and take t

Posted Images

Ferrets have a tiny digestive tract meaning the food they eat passes through very quickly. A ferret will eat up to 6 separate times over 24 hours so need a constant supply of fresh food. Go and take the ferrets off your friend and give him a slap. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
Just now, Ferretman65 said:

Well I only feed mine once a week now its winter ? lol I hang a full rabbit up in each cage they just eat when they want ? summer is different all together with them fcking flys ? but as I said before each to their own 

20221107_155904.jpg

Rabbit in each box 

20220803_145257.jpg

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I've been told I only feed ferrets every other day before along with starve me dogs for a day ? what utter rubbish 

Feed every day ,how would you like to go hungry 

and folks wonder why their ferrets kill in and their digging all the time??

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Back 45 years ago in Oz we only fed ferrets bread and milk as I was advised by old blokes. The ferrets were skinny, had the shits constantly and raggy coats. Looking at the properly fed ferrets now I wonder how they survived to breed here back in the not so good old days. I bought some new ferrets recently and I had to school the young seller about this. The ferrets i bought looked 100% better in two weeks on a meat diet. I hope their earlier care doesn't affect them later.

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Back 45 years ago in Oz we only fed ferrets bread and milk as I was advised by old blokes. The ferrets were skinny, had the shits constantly and raggy coats. Looking at the properly fed ferrets now I wonder how they survived to breed here back in the not so good old days. I bought some new ferrets recently and I had to school the young seller about this. The ferrets i bought looked 100% better in two weeks on a meat diet. I hope their earlier care doesn't affect them later.

It was the same in this country mate. Truly shameful. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 14/11/2022 at 09:32, Ferretman65 said:

Well I only feed mine once a week now its winter ? lol I hang a full rabbit up in each cage they just eat when they want ? summer is different all together with them fcking flys ? but as I said before each to their own 

20221107_155904.jpg

Feeding Ferrets once a Week ? i think is a load of Boolacks ! Ferrets should be fed every day + being handled with bedding and Water checked,as for feeding bread and Milk  back in the old days some may have done it but my two Grandfarthers both  born in the late 1800s would never have dreamt of feeding  anything but Flesh.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, micky said:

Feeding Ferrets once a Week ? i think is a load of Boolacks ! Ferrets should be fed every day + being handled with bedding and Water checked,as for feeding bread and Milk  back in the old days some may have done it but my two Grandfarthers both  born in the late 1800s would never have dreamt of feeding  anything but Flesh.

I can imagine people trying to keep their kids fed in the old days giving meat caught to them before the dogs or ferrets got a look in. I think the idea that ferrets got fck all stuck for a while.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, micky said:

Why just put a rabbit in with them there no flys about now ? and I do check my ferrets every day is there something wrong with that or iam I missing something ? Mickey your not the only one that has had ferrets for 50 years or so il do watt I do you do watt you do it's worked for me and all the lads I hunt with all my ferrets our in perfect condition good hunting lads 

• Like 2