Feeding ferrets

9 hours ago, Guss33 said:

I feed mine kangaroo meat venison tin kitten food with minced up chicken frames they get the kitten food once a week mixed in with other meat for the vitamins, the kitten food I buy is all meat not the one with vegetables. I also get a small supply of two weak old roosters which they get whole. The one thing is when you feed them rabbits do you leave the skin on or skin them. I know everyone has their own thoughts on it. I have found that the skinned ones seem to get eaten quicker than if they have their skin on.  The other one is when I give them eggs what is better as a raw egg has a lot less protein or a boiled egg which I have been led to believe it’s two much protein. 

Keeping fur on while hanging up helps keeps there claws down because they scrap and pull the fur 

• Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they should have access to fresh food every single day mate,you shouldn't make them wait 2 days...tell your pal to buck his ideas up??

and folks wonder why their ferrets kill in and their digging all the time??

Ferrets have a tiny digestive tract meaning the food they eat passes through very quickly. A ferret will eat up to 6 separate times over 24 hours so need a constant supply of fresh food. Go and take t

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, jack lee said:

if you put grey crows in with them im told they dont touch them how true is this

i once shot a few pigeons and a couple of dozen rooks, put the rooks under a hedge as i had no use for them, weeks later went back to the same spot and they were still there, only thing that had touched them were flies. 

the more variety you give them as Kitts,the more they will eat...I had 2 Jill's about 25 yrs ago that I fed mostly on moles I caught working as a greenkeeper,my ferrets I keep now will eat any fish/scraps ,I give them a squirt of salmon/sprat oil over what ever they get and they do well ...I've never had a ferret that would eat that dry food mind?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, socks said:

None of my ferrets have or will eat moles. 

the only thing I've tried mine with that they won't entertain is shrews Ken,that  I've found dead when out ferreting...chucked them in the box as a little meal between holes and they leave them?

Another thing that I have found is,...when working a team of ferrets over several consecutive days,..  they do seem to get a wee bit jaded, especially if the rabbits are in deep,.. and have been difficult to shift...

This is the one occasion when I would always keep them a tad light, and in the parlance of Falconers, in 'good Yarak'..

If you are working, far from home and only have one or two days left, it is imperative that both dogs and ferrets,..(.and men) ,..remain keen and stay the course...

Quite often, the client, who has been noticeably fecking absent, when the rabbits are bolting like demons and nets are filling, on a regular basis, suddenly, at the last knockings? decides to come along, to watch where his money is being spent.?

Now is the time, for the tired and sore ferrets to have one last push,.. and I have found it prudent to keep their rations meagre,.. just for a while, or until the landowner has become bored, and fecked off out of it...  

That being said,...ferrets really do deserve the best of everything....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3