Alpine mastiff

I read it wrong and thought you were asking about the Alpine MASSIF, the Alps ! ??

But I guessed they would have something in common with, possibly an ancestor breed of, the Saint Bernard, as has been previously mentioned.

Another regional molloser type.

Cheers.

• Like 1

The Pyrenean Mountain Dog is reported to be making a comeback. In the mountains where shepherds still farm their sheep the traditional way there are also three protected species of mammals; ibex, mouffalon and marmots. Amid all this tranquility the re-wilding brigade have successfully released apex predators in the shape of brown (grisly) bears. The bears require 25% of their diet to be meat. They can't catch the wild mountain sheep and goats so they cause the dumb domestic sheep to stampede over cliffs then the bears  climb down and eat some of them. The farmers are not surprisingly upset about this. It isn't helped by the fact that the bears are protected and monitored 24/7. They also were brought in from Slovenia where they had been trapped after causing their farmers hassle. The re-wilders initial stock were problem bears! 

The solution proposed by the pro-bear group, mmost of whom don't farm or even live locally is for shepherds to buy PMDs to protect their flocks from the problem that they have created!  ?

Pyreanian mountain dog remember seeing a few when I were a kid down to the kids television series Belle and Sebastian that made them popular a big lump of a dog that must be a nightmare to keep indoors when moulting. The breed must be pretty rare these days I would have thought. 

4 hours ago, Nicepix said:

The Pyrenean Mountain Dog is reported to be making a comeback. In the mountains where shepherds still farm their sheep the traditional way there are also three protected species of mammals; ibex, mouffalon and marmots. Amid all this tranquility the re-wilding brigade have successfully released apex predators in the shape of brown (grisly) bears. The bears require 25% of their diet to be meat. They can't catch the wild mountain sheep and goats so they cause the dumb domestic sheep to stampede over cliffs then the bears  climb down and eat some of them. The farmers are not surprisingly upset about this. It isn't helped by the fact that the bears are protected and monitored 24/7. They also were brought in from Slovenia where they had been trapped after causing their farmers hassle. The re-wilders initial stock were problem bears! 

The solution proposed by the pro-bear group, mmost of whom don't farm or even live locally is for shepherds to buy PMDs to protect their flocks from the problem that they have created!  ?

Think there was a charity did that with Afghan kangals in Africa if I remember rightly