The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

On 26/12/2022 at 22:52, foxdropper said:

Fag smoke arrrrh .Can’t stand it .

I quit 30 years ago , and can’t ever understand how I could put one to my lips , let alone inhale , but I did . 
             But in later years when I’d packed in , I was out and about on my rounds , I could smell fag smoke ( Wolfdog , it’s not what you guys think …. It’s tobacco) a couple of fields away , so imagine how a fox could wind you . The same goes for aftershave or deodorants. An absolute no no when night shooting in my book . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, it’s been a busy week, I’ve managed to get out most days dodging the rain, the lad I took out on Boxing Day took me up to a private estate in Northumberland where someone we know has taken the keepers job on a wild bird shoot, we’ll be back up there over the coming weeks/months to help him out as the old lad he has taken over from hasn’t been keeping on top of it 

Ive also been back and forward to the shoot, the birds that are about look in really good condition and although we are limited on drives I think we could be in for a good day next Saturday, it certainly won’t be a big day but I think everyone will just be glad to be out after a 3 week break, I’ve been bashing the tree rats on my rounds and hopefully I’ll have a squizzer shoot at the end of the season, I’d put a couple of piles of wheat out today in hope of getting up there tomorrow to have a look for a fallow but looking at the weather that may be best left until Monday 

0C01467A-CC35-42B0-AC22-D9FC8430B31D.jpeg

548C7EFF-270B-4F1C-A82A-60106CF218BA.jpeg

360DA739-167E-4C25-83B5-362E299F09FA.jpeg

07B27E44-1C91-412F-B6AF-7D8203C813D0.jpeg

E2162087-4581-41D5-B170-38FCA917540E.jpeg

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Sausagedog said:

That wild bird shoot sounds interesting. Kill more vermin, some more vermin and more vermin I bet.

It’s a stunning place mate, once the lad takes over fully in February he’ll be flat out on the pests, foxes, deer and the winged variety are his main things at the minute, ( I think it’s got a bit much for the old boy ) he gave up his job as under keeper on a commercial grouse moor to take this job as he’s never had anything to do with a wild bird shoot, there must be a lot of money in the family because the house, vehicles and allowance to kit himself out with whatever he wants is a very nice package 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

It’s a stunning place mate, once the lad takes over fully in February he’ll be flat out on the pests, foxes, deer and the winged variety are his main things at the minute, ( I think it’s got a bit much for the old boy ) he gave up his job as under keeper on a commercial grouse moor to take this job as he’s never had anything to do with a wild bird shoot, there must be a lot of money in the family because the house, vehicles and allowance to kit himself out with whatever he wants is a very nice package 

I think the word will go around amongst the private wealthy shoots that the current state of affairs is unsustainable.

I had three years on a wealthy private estate under the old time keeper. I had total freedom of the 5000 acre estate. Shoot all vermin, trapping too . I got fuel, ammo and all the firewood I wanted.

The gather only provided 3000 poults but we shot ten days always in excess of 300 bird days. The keeper depended on wild birds to boost the numbers. I had to report all young wild broods found.

We were out every Friday night until gone midnight. Year #1 resulted in 142fox, #2 136 and #3 127 fox's.

It was the best three years of my life!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The keepers life still lures me but I fear it’s a fading trade ,round me anyway .All the big syndicates have folded and just the local estate putting a few thousand down for what they call boys days whatever that is .Used to be all the lads from all  the tenant farms but they are gone so not sure who the boys are now .Looking back I was silly to Jack my job in the trade but then again I wouldn’t of seen the world as I have now .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I always wish that I had become a keeper when I left school. 

A way of life that I would have thoroughly enjoyed , maybe in my next life .

You’d better start going to church then mate cos your headed when I’m going .??

• Like 1

A mate of mine is a gamekeeper and I help him quite often. He once asked me if I never fancied being a keeper and I told him “ nobody in this country has enough money to entice me into the job “. If he isn’t talking about pheasants he is thinking about them. No I would much rather make good money doing a job I really like then spend whatever time I want in the countryside.

• Like 1