SGC with a criminal record?

Hi. New here, I was just wondering if anyone had recently (in the last year) applied for a SGC with a criminal record I know this has been covered in the past but can’t seem to find anything of more recent about the subject. I’ve had a few run ins with the police in my younger days but those are almost 10 years ago now I’ve now growing up a lot and have settled down to family life. What’s the chances of my application being approved and has anyone been in similar position.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update:   received a call today from my FAO scheduling a inspection of the cabinet next week. So overall it’s took 343 days from handing my application in to having the inspection.   

Update     FEO came around today nice guy nice informal chat. First thing he wanted to do was check out the security of the cabinet asked me to open it and gave it a couple of tugs happ

The FEO home visit is the last step, it’s still not a given that you will be granted but the odds are well in your favour as if they had drawn any concerns from your application then you wouldn’t be g

Thanks for the reply’s guys.

I have submitted a application last week But I’m just trying to get some more information from people who may have been in the same position.. I have around 5 cautions on my record that consist of possession of a offensive weapon, burglary(NFA), found on enclosed premises without lawful reason, drunk and disorderly and improperly importing goods of which prohibited. Now I know it sounds like a lot but it was over the space of a few years and like I’ve said all I’ve received is cautions, never been to jail and again they are all from when I was a teen. It’s been 10years+ now for the majority of the offensives.I’m not to hopefully with the application being granted concerning my past offences I just hope that they can see it’s was from a long time ago as a young dumb teen and I’ve grown up a lot in the past years. If refused does anyone know if they still come out and do a home interview or do they not waste there time and just phone or email you telling you the application has been refused.

Also Jim England, Northumbria police to be specific.

I had a criminal record . One caution and one conviction in crown court . It was same as you time wise. I was late teen early 20 and i went for my license at 31 . Guy came round , had a chat , i explained it was years ago and ive got normal life now with job and kids etc . He was happy with it all and went away and i got my license in the end . It took months and months for it to come tho . The letter i got with my license basically said any slip ups and they will take the license back . Im in wales so dont know how much difference that makes. End of the day you got 2 chances . Youll either get it or you wont . But when the guy came round to visit he only had my application to go on so its not as if i had a chance to state my case for wanting one before he met me 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

I had a criminal record . One caution and one conviction in crown court . It was same as you time wise. I was late teen early 20 and i went for my license at 31 . Guy came round , had a chat , i explained it was years ago and ive got normal life now with job and kids etc . He was happy with it all and went away and i got my license in the end . It took months and months for it to come tho . The letter i got with my license basically said any slip ups and they will take the license back . Im in wales so dont know how much difference that makes. End of the day you got 2 chances . Youll either get it or you wont . But when the guy came round to visit he only had my application to go on so its not as if i had a chance to state my case for wanting one before he met me 

Pretty much same as you, couple of arrests in late teens.  When the FEO came round for the visit, he introduced himself and said tell me about your record then.  Took 12 months for license with the same letter, any slip ups and license gone

• Like 1

Thank you for all the opinions and information on this matter, it’s all greatly appreciate. Yes paddy as much as i hate to admit it I feel the same I would be extremely lucky to receive a cert in my situation I’m just hoping with the time that has passed they may be willing to consider a grant. Welsh thank you for your response too I have come across some of your reply’s to other similar posts in the past so I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me, it has giving me a little more hope than I initially had after reading your posts. Your totally right though it can only be a yes or a no so will just have to sit tight and wait and see. I’ll be sure to keep this post updated throughout the process to help anyone else reading this for the near future of who’s in a similar position.

5 hours ago, j j m said:

you wont no till you try good luck bud

Yeah thanks bud applications in so I’ll just have to play the waiting game now how ever long that may be lol, I can see your from Tyne and Wear yourself and I’m assuming you have your certificate.. how have you found your experience with the Northumbria firearms? Have they been more than fair with you?

20 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

You can only apply but I wouldnt hold your breath in the current climate. 

I know of a guy who has just had his revoked because hes a drinker.  The police are looking to reduce numbers not increase them.

How have they found out hes a drinker? He done anything?