Your help appreciated. 12ft lb rat gun setup.

I have a pal who has recently started to keep chickens in his garden and has rats already.

He is against traps and poisons and doesn't want a cat, and has decided to get an Air rifle.

He is starting at ground zero with a TOTAL budget of £300, absolute max of £350 for EVERYTHING, and must be new, not used.  He has quite a long garden and they are near the end, so I'm guessing shot distance maybe to about 25yards.

So, Break barrel only, (he does not want PCP and can't afford it anyway) 12ft lb, what calibre, what scope, what mounts, what moderator, what pellets, forget a gun slip at this point.  Are there any he should avoid like the plague?  Use will only be rats, he has no land and is only interested in keeping the rats down around his chickens.

What is the story with Cabinets and 12ft lb air rifles at the moment, are they law or recommendation or what???

Over to you guys for recommendations for everything within his total budget please.

Cheers

PS     I've told him I will ask advice but he rather wants to get on with it, and is hoping to head out this coming weekend and invest in a setup!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

He can easily go and get a set up for £300 but if he's buying just to shoot the odd rat he's wasting his money.

With chickens he will always have rats. Most of the rats he has he will never see anyway so even if he saw one what are his chances of shooting it?

What shooting experience has he got?

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Few fenns in tunnels and a terrier will keep them down?these look decent for the money

WWW.JUSTAIRGUNS.CO.UK

Just Air Guns is the UK's best supplier for Gamo Roadster 10X Gen2 Air Rifle .22 UK - visit the website today!

Thanks for that, do you know anyone who has one, I've heard their magazine system has issues?????

Break barrel I would go for a hw99s or 35  , Question is what sort of range is he shooting as I would go no scope an iron sights .

if I was in similar situation I would either get cage traps that will work when he’s not around or at night then dispatch with a air pistol or get a rat catcher xl I know they are c02 but mines light an more importantly it’s quiet, as if he’s got neighbours the twanging of a springer might draw unwanted attention to his pest control? 

28 minutes ago, Deker said:

Cheers everyone, I've heard good things about the HW99 over the years, but isn't it just a bit low on power?

the .177 runs on an average of 10.5 ftlb witch is about optimum for .177 much more and its passes straight through, .22's come at just under limit..

the 99 is a good little springer for the money. 

think you need a cabinet/ lock it away if you've got kids under 18 in the house