BEFORE MYXOMATOSIS

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me uncul tells me story's about rabbiting before mixy hit ,he was young lad and out most days nights feeding his siblings and mam ,big family of 9 needed lot of vitals so it fell on him to poach .he s

I actually take more pleasure in catching a few from different areas and reintroducing them in other areas late January.  Then watching their progress . I personally get more enjoyment in that than nu

I remember collecting fire wood with me dad and brothers near Melton mulberry in late 70s and rabbits just sitting by rd side and us kids picking them up and me dad putting them out there misery, horr

Posted Images

Back in  the days before mixy, coney was  eaten by most house holds and back then you couldn't buy chicken unless you went to a farm or butchers to buy one so rabbit was used and most couldn't afford a chicken anyway and those who was harvesting coney not only earned a living from contoling them and the meat but also the pelts and bones ,me great grandad was a general dealer in Leicestershire and me mum said she remembers barrels of rabbit bones that was sold to glue factory and bales of pelts that went to the tanners ,nothing was wasted back then unlike today, once mixy hit no one ate rabbit and me mother still not eat one .

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Back in  the days before mixy, coney was  eaten by most house holds and back then you couldn't buy chicken unless you went to a farm or butchers to buy one so rabbit was used and most couldn't afford a chicken anyway and those who was harvesting coney not only earned a living from contoling them and the meat but also the pelts and bones ,me great grandad was a general dealer in Leicestershire and me mum said she remembers barrels of rabbit bones that was sold to glue factory and bales of pelts that went to the tanners ,nothing was wasted back then unlike today, once mixy hit no one ate rabbit and me mother still not eat one .

The only Glue obtained from a Rabbit was from its Skin ! this  was used  by Artists to size their Canvasses also  by Violin and other stringed  instrument makers  including Stradivarius . I have never heard of anyone saving Rabbit Bones for Glue and i think you be more productive getting the top six posters in General talk and make them Toss each other off into  a Bucket.

2 hours ago, micky said:

The only Glue obtained from a Rabbit was from its Skin ! this  was used  by Artists to size their Canvasses also  by Violin and other stringed  instrument makers  including Stradivarius . I have never heard of anyone saving Rabbit Bones for Glue and i think you be more productive getting the top six posters in General talk and make them Toss each other off into  a Bucket.

Your wrong bud ,collagen was made from animal bones including the rabbit and collagen is what ? "Glue "  

And I have no need go on general talk they plenty on here 

15 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Your wrong bud ,collagen was made from animal bones including the rabbit and collagen is what ? "Glue "  

And I have no need go on general talk they plenty on here 

Not  having it Mate  ! you would have to murder  Watershipdown to stick a Stamp on !

9 minutes ago, micky said:

Not  having it Mate  ! you would have to murder  Watershipdown to stick a Stamp on !

Before mixy they no shortage was they and every farm you walk on was like watershipdown so I'm told by people who took coney back then and me uncul took hundreds if not thousands so he'd no . just Google rabbit bones used for Glue and it will tell you rabbit bone glue stronger than any pelt glue

3 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Before mixy they no shortage was they and every farm you walk on was like watershipdown so I'm told by people who took coney back then and me uncul took hundreds if not thousands so he'd no . just Google rabbit bones used for Glue and it will tell you rabbit bone glue stronger than any pelt glue

Google  a picture of Barrels of Rabbit  Bones . And that Uncle  who caught those Rabbits Pre Mixi ...... was that a Week or a Month .???

8 minutes ago, micky said:

Google  a picture of Barrels of Rabbit  Bones . And that Uncle  who caught those Rabbits Pre Mixi ...... was that a Week or a Month .???

Are you for real ,you put a post up and some one adds to it and you try taking them for a cnut .

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Are you for real ,you put a post up and some one adds to it and you try taking them for a cnut .

I don.t have to try whilst you are making a pretty good job of it yourself...

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2021 at 15:06, micky said:

Glue from rabbits was used in some sort of capacity in building. Kevin McCloud from grand designs was doing a programme where they were using it. The production company contacted my company asking if we would be prepared to be part of the filming showing the capture of the rabbits etc. I said no as I can’t stand the Cnut ………

• Haha 1
On 19/10/2021 at 18:01, jok said:

We lived, in them days, on Park Farm, near Earlston in the Scottish Borders. Walking to school, I remember seeing my first, which was to be, a mixied rabbit. That would have had to be about 1963. Bearing in mind my old man and his mate would get rabbit regularly for the table this came as a bit of a shock. We didn’t actually know what was wrong with the poor thing but the swollen eyes and involuntary movement didn’t bode well. It was many years later when I returned to the UK that I took up the sport again. Still haunts me when I see a rabbit in this distress. Jok.

like you jok,it would be in the early 60s, when as ayoung man, ifirst seen  rabbits with this horrible disease, they would be thin as rakes, deaf , blind,and puss discharging from their eyes, and the sores on their bodies,when you first seen them you would think that they were cow pats lying in the fields, they were that bad with it that the dogs wouldnt mouth them, seemed a more virulent strain in those days, rabbits over the years have got abetter resistance to it , but its taken along time,this shite that is now vhd or rhd, is having a devastating effect, far worse than mxy ever was or ever will be, lets hope that the arseholes that produced this crap,had rough endings, a cruel man made disease.

• Thanks 1
On 31/10/2021 at 22:08, socks said:

Glue from rabbits was used in some sort of capacity in building. Kevin McCloud from grand designs was doing a programme where they were using it. The production company contacted my company asking if we would be prepared to be part of the filming showing the capture of the rabbits etc. I said no as I can’t stand the Cnut ………

What I was saying socks was rabbit bones along with all bones was used to make glue and that old fool trying c me off