Pigeons

A friend of mine keeps a few homers. The other day he released them about 10 miles from home. They had GPS rings attached. When they arrived home he was one short so he uploaded the rings to see where they went. Not far from the release site they dropped from the sky and spent 25 mins sat in one spot without moving. They then got up and flew straight home. 

3 days later he got a phone call from a non pigeon fancier who had found his missing pigeon wobbling around his garden, he had picked it up but it died an hour later. Fair play to the bloke, he contacted the pigeon association on the leg ring to trace my mate and phone him up, keeping the dead bird as well. 

My mate picked the bird up expecting it to be injured but it hadn't a mark on it. So my question is, do birds of prey knock pigeons from the sky without ripping or cutting them? Something traumatic happened to make em all drop out of the sky and sit in one spot. 

On a further note if anyone keeps pigeons you really need to buy a GPS set up, they are truly fantastic bits of kit. It's great to see young birds learn how to get home. Following roads is something I find interesting to see. 

On a further further note it seems huge numbers of birds are going missing, with many pigeon men loosing dozens in some races. A few have told me they have had their worst years in 30 years plus of pigeon racing. 

What do we blame? 5G? The vaccine? ?

Edited by DIDO.1

14 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Could it have been a field with a flock of ferals feeding on it maybe and lured them down?

No it was a house on a street. The injured bird was picked up 2 streets away. We will never know I guess, just strange how they dropped like a stone and stayed in one spot, but the bird that died had not a mark on it. Just wondered if it was common for BOP strikes to be knocked down but not ripped. 

52 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

No it was a house on a street. The injured bird was picked up 2 streets away. We will never know I guess, just strange how they dropped like a stone and stayed in one spot, but the bird that died had not a mark on it. Just wondered if it was common for BOP strikes to be knocked down but not ripped. 

Maybe dropped at a similar looking loft with other birds then? Whatever happened it's a weird year for the racers.