Best dog you’ve owned - past or present

I’ll start.

My father got this bitch off a traveller when she was around 1 year old I was about 12/13 at the time we never fully knew what was in her just told it was beddy whippet with a bitta Greyhound but my god she was some dog for rabbits day and night definitely the best dog I’ve ever owned to catch a rabbit be it a straight course across an open field, down rough terrain or in woodland she always seemed to make a catch. She took good few hares too on the lamp and took a few in the day too but I wasn’t interested in daytime hares and where I am in Ireland the fields are all small too which suited her as she had great acceleration and turning ability. 
Have fond memories of growing up with that dog as a teenager was my first ever lurcher and got me into the lamping scene, hopefully one day come across a dog as good as her on rabbits both day and night 

882389CB-A966-404C-ADEF-19626CB3167A.jpeg

• Like 12

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3/4 saluki grey my best friend from 15 + never have another like her took it for granted the standard she set a old Shepard told me you’ll never have another better than your first an he was right I’l

Beddy/bull/grey bitch...best all-rounder I've owned,came to me at 18 months old after a friend went over the wall.a dog that just seemed to make things happen and catch where ever we went, worked with

I’ll start. My father got this bitch off a traveller when she was around 1 year old I was about 12/13 at the time we never fully knew what was in her just told it was beddy whippet with a bitta G

Posted Images

1 hour ago, LuckyLamper said:

I’ll start.

My father got this bitch off a traveller when she was around 1 year old I was about 12/13 at the time we never fully knew what was in her just told it was beddy whippet with a bitta Greyhound but my god she was some dog for rabbits day and night definitely the best dog I’ve ever owned to catch a rabbit be it a straight course across an open field, down rough terrain or in woodland she always seemed to make a catch. She took good few hares too on the lamp and took a few in the day too but I wasn’t interested in daytime hares and where I am in Ireland the fields are all small too which suited her as she had great acceleration and turning ability. 
Have fond memories of growing up with that dog as a teenager was my first ever lurcher and got me into the lamping scene, hopefully one day come across a dog as good as her on rabbits both day and night 

882389CB-A966-404C-ADEF-19626CB3167A.jpeg

For rabbits and bigger rabbits lamping it has to be the bitch I have on now.. she is the best rabbit dog I think I’ve owned.. best all round dog was my old beddy/bull/grey x saluki/grey will get some pics put on of him later... I just rabbit with the dogs now so a smaller type suits me better ?

215AE91E-3C79-4751-8951-AA7998588173.jpeg

• Like 3

Beddy/bull/grey bitch...best all-rounder I've owned,came to me at 18 months old after a friend went over the wall.a dog that just seemed to make things happen and catch where ever we went, worked with terriers,on the lamp,around the nets and with the hawks..had to be something else in there because she had some tank,showed up plenty in her time,had some good times up and down the UK , especially Scotland...would love another like her?20151003_085746.jpg.b58ce93938dfc496826b59a5ddf815b7.jpgDSC_2115.JPG.2ce0ba5acabc0ba63bca935c728fd6c8.JPG

• Like 14
55 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Beddy/bull/grey bitch...best all-rounder I've owned,came to me at 18 months old after a friend went over the wall.a dog that just seemed to make things happen and catch where ever we went, worked with terriers,on the lamp,around the nets and with the hawks..had to be something else in there because she had some tank,showed up plenty in her time,had some good times up and down the UK , especially Scotland...would love another like her?20151003_085746.jpg.b58ce93938dfc496826b59a5ddf815b7.jpgDSC_2115.JPG.2ce0ba5acabc0ba63bca935c728fd6c8.JPG

Class mate ??

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

You think there might be a touch of saluki in her, d c, got that grizzle ish sort of shading to her coat, or is that just age?  Nice looking thing mind, and reminds me of several of the lurchers we had years ago, and we weren't 100% sure of the breeding.  ?

Edited by shaaark
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

You think there might be a touch of saluki in her, d c.  Got that grizzle ish sort of shading to her coat, or is that just age?  Nice looking thing mind, and reminds me of several of the lurchers we had years ago, and we weren't 100% sure of the breeding.  ?

Could if been mate,she could spin a few bits daytime..she would run In the nights until she would fit? happened a few times to  us?most obedient dog I've had,never had to be told to leave something alone...her only real fault was if she was off the lead at night walking around the estate..she would hunt and kill cats ?wouldn't look at them in someones house/yard ?

• Like 1

3/4 saluki grey my best friend from 15 + never have another like her took it for granted the standard she set a old Shepard told me you’ll never have another better than your first an he was right I’ll never have the time or the open opportunity’s available to me that I did have with her and I’ll never be satisfied with another dog again 

everyone takes the p... out of saluki greyhounds but I’ve only every run small fields or heather moorland and the things that bitch done would change many opinions on them ...... either one of a kind or she was given the freedom and situations to make the most of it by a young keen man that made more mistakes than gave her chances 

7A830EA3-7B14-4631-87D1-6CB5BA042B20.jpeg

FDF65291-32EA-493A-AB03-7980C6A98B7C.jpeg

6413BE2E-6397-4FD4-A131-CEAFE303D88C.jpeg

1D85BF56-E0FD-410B-AC43-9F984A7C38D1.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Picked this bitch up as an 11month old green pup.. put her into shape and started her on the lamp only took a few nights I had her watching the beam  took to it like a duck to water,, couldn’t ask anymore of her 

8C34C304-EAA1-4FCE-B74D-C86E9FD1D35D.png

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Wasn't actually mine, but I had him in my kennel a few times when his owner, my pal, was between wives, houses, whatever, and I worked my dog alongside him for a few years;

Bruce the Rescue Dog;

IMG_0542.JPG.7487c839bb2f77ff05acb8f92963685f.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG.cf558e21cbf1cd0d7f40591eb6c25ecc.JPG

Cheers.

God was that 2008 , time flies . I remember seeing Bruce run one night when it was pissing down all night , he put away some rabbits .

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Wasn't actually mine, but I had him in my kennel a few times when his owner, my pal, was between wives, houses, whatever, and I worked my dog alongside him for a few years;

Bruce the Rescue Dog;

IMG_0542.JPG.7487c839bb2f77ff05acb8f92963685f.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG.cf558e21cbf1cd0d7f40591eb6c25ecc.JPG

Cheers.

Does lamping comp still happen?